Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pfizer may have an effective vaccine

Options
124»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How Much does A Penny Doubled Every day for a Month End up Being  New  Trader U
    Options
    Legume said:
    Gulf coast guy, that might have made the recount easier as well, just count the dirty syringes...red, blue, red, red, blue, red, blue, blue, blue, blue, blue

i guess they didnt make enough red syringes to vote with
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Note on above:  For illustrative purposes only
    Options
    Options
    Note on above:  For illustrative purposes only
    Shoot, I was about to send you all my change from my console.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    can we keep it apolitical AND call it the trump vaccine =)
    What we need is most everyone to get the vaccine.  If we need blue and red syringes with whatever labeling to get there, IDGAF.  Git ‘er done.

thats a problem, getting the left to take the vaccine that trump pushes and the right to take a vaccine for a plannedemic. this country really is messed up. hopefully they can put it in the drinking water when no one is looking
    Unfortunately my sense is that the trajectory of this pandemic inside the next few months is going to make it clear to everyone that getting vaccinated for this really isn't a choice.  

as for the trajectory, it looks to be doubling every week around here. not sure if thats sustainable at all
    That's exponential growth.  It isn't sustainable in the sense that eventually the hospitals are completely overrun.  

watch the northern states in the next few weeks, that will tell the tale. we went from 6 new cases per 100k a few weeks ago to 32 new cases now in my little county. doesnt sound like much now but you know the math of doubling, tripling etc as the weeks move forward
    Agree.  Was there much absentee or mail in voting, or mostly in person?

The celebrations in the streets on Saturday just made me cringe.

in person there was no line on the way in, at the computer ballot box there was two. a lady in a blue jacket had a ballot jam, 5 minutes later the guy infront of me got assistance and the problem was found. they searched the parking lot for an unknown lady in a blue jacket and she revoted. blue seems to be in right now, who knows who she was....... =) nobody at the polls
    fukahwee maine

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    On Monday, the drugmaker Pfizer said early data show its Covid-19 vaccine is more than 90% effective.
    More than 43,000 volunteers had received either two doses of the vaccine or a placebo.
    A so-called interim analysis looked at the first 94 coronavirus infections among the group. Fewer than 10% of infections were in participants who had been given the vaccine. More than 90% of the cases were in people who had been given a placebo.
    Pfizer said it plans to seek emergency use authorization from the US Food and Drug Administration soon after volunteers have been monitored for two months after getting their second dose of vaccine, as requested by the FDA.
    That request could be made by the third week of November.
    Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said so far, the vaccine has shown no safety problems.
    "But we need to wait until the results are there," Bourla told CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
    It's not clear exactly when the vaccine might be publicly available to most Americans. But when it is, "the vaccine will be available for free to all American citizens," Bourla said.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    How Much does A Penny Doubled Every day for a Month End up Being  New  Trader U

i knew i seen that graph someplace before

fukahwee maine

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    The Pfizer news is great. My wife and I have the Moderna vaccine (could be placibo, but doubt it). I would like to know how close that one is to approval. It looks to be similar to Pfizer where they give two injections of a RNA strain.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    The UK govt has ordered 10 m shots of the first batch from Pfizer for before Christmas. This was done some time ago. They have pre-ordered tens (or even hundreds) of millions of doses of a variety of the vaccines under development.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    The Pfizer news is great. My wife and I have the Moderna vaccine (could be placibo, but doubt it). I would like to know how close that one is to approval. It looks to be similar to Pfizer where they give two injections of a RNA strain.

yes, they both use mRNA - messenger RNA, which is new to vaccines.  This does help mitigate the inherent dangers of an attenuated vaccine, but it's impossible to predict any long-term side effects. One thing is certain, we've seen some nasty symptoms from covid that are life altering, unlike anything we've seen before in a flu or coronavirus.
    Options
    I know we've got some great cooks on here, but for those of you that think the timing on Pfizer's announcement today wasn't planned you're naive. Trump has hammered Big Pharma with pressure to reduce drug prices which only squeezes their margins. The Democrats will lobby for lower drug prices, but subsidized by our tax dollars. For those of you that may not know Big Pharma spends more on marketing than they do on R&D.  Ever notice all the prescription drug ads on TV?   Why are they marketing to us instead of to medical professionals? And, you have to know Pfizer knew all of this last week and could have announced it then, but the last thing Pfizer wanted was another Trump presidency.  If they had announced prior to the election, it would have only confirmed what he has been saying that a vaccine was only weeks away.  Pfizer got what they wanted, a $1.95B guaranteed purchase from the Trump administration to buy the vaccine, and a Biden administration which will give them free rein.

Or, we'll see what the courts decide.....

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Webass said:
    I know we've got some great cooks on here, but for those of you that think the timing on Pfizer's announcement today wasn't planned you're naive. Trump has hammered Big Pharma with pressure to reduce drug prices which only squeezes their margins. The Democrats will lobby for lower drug prices, but subsidized by our tax dollars. For those of you that may not know Big Pharma spends more on marketing than they do on R&D.  Ever notice all the prescription drug ads on TV?   Why are they marketing to us instead of to medical professionals? And, you have to know Pfizer knew all of this last week and could have announced it then, but the last thing Pfizer wanted was another Trump presidency.  If they had announced prior to the election, it would have only confirmed what he has been saying that a vaccine was only weeks away.  Pfizer got what they wanted, a $1.95B guaranteed purchase from the Trump administration to buy the vaccine, and a Biden administration which will give them free rein.

Without any evidence this is simply a baseless accusation, and frankly one that's not terribly helpful.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    RyanStl said:

yes, they both use mRNA - messenger RNA, which is new to vaccines.  This does help mitigate the inherent dangers of an attenuated vaccine, but it's impossible to predict any long-term side effects. One thing is certain, we've seen some nasty symptoms from covid that are life altering, unlike anything we've seen before in a flu or coronavirus.
    We are phase 2 and it's a 2 yr study. My wife had flu symptoms for two days after 2nd injection. I just had joint aches for a day.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Big government is bad. Free market is good, fewer regulations.

But you prefer the government suppress drug pricing?  Because, you have a right to cheaper drugs?

But socialized medicine is bad, right?
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Im conflicted because I do think it was a political move. But I don’t think the intent was to impact the election results necessarily nor would it have in my opinion. Either way thank god we are seeing progress on a vaccine.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• frazzdaddy
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Pfizer will always do what best for Pfizer. That is a symtom of capitalism good or bad depending on how it affects you personally.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Webass said:

If you think that pharma doesn't spend a shite ton of time and money marketing to medical professionals, then you might be the naive one.

And they, or anyone else, is most definitely considerably more than "only weeks away" from a vaccine that can be deployed in the field.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    caliking said:
    Webass said:

If you think that pharma doesn't spend a shite ton of time and money marketing to medical professionals, then you might be the naive one.

And they, or anyone else, is most definitely considerably more than "only weeks away" from a vaccine that can be deployed in the field.
    One of my uncles became a millionaire as an Upjohn rep in the 70s and 80s.  Agree, months at best
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Options
    Some people here slept at a Holiday Inn, probably.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Webass said:

If James Comey was involved the announcement would most certainly have come out a week earlier.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Options
    I doubt they held the results long.  If they were timing anything, I’d lean less toward Trump retribution and more toward a Monday in a market that’s free and clear of election instability.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Webass said:

Hey, Einstein, read your home page.
    Options
    ...and thanks for keeping this non-political and you can't have too much mis-information out there.  Also, the vaccine is not a few weeks away.  Probably will realistically be some time in Jan or Feb.
    Options
    Pfizer would have been damned if they released the news before or after election day.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The vaccine announcement is great news, I don't care about the political association here (call me purple if it helps frame my thoughts).  Our country needs help.  Since school is back in session and everything ...:

I fear this current climb will be steep.

My brother works at a large hospital here in Salt Lake City, and they are nearly overrun.  Rationed care is just around the corner here in Utah.  Meanwhile, we have protesters citing their right to spread the disease, because it is their freedom not to wear a mask, and social distance.  Somehow, we have to come together to help each other out as brothers and sisters here in America.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • frazzdaddy
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Webass said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBwoEXlTph0

This is "Q" He is an alien and not even a real alien. He plays one on TV. He does however have some of the same attributes.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.