Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ice Molds

Options
ColtsFan
ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
I like an ice sphere on occasion with a hot (high proof) bourbon or when having an old fashioned, but $1000 for a copper ice press? No thanks...My $12 Amazon silicone molds work just fine

Order yours now!

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,364
    Options
    You'd think if one is spending that kind of money they'd make/buy better/clearer ice blocks to start with.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I have been known to use a frozen water bottle. Cut in 3rds , the top 1/3 makes an interesting ice sculpture for your favorite bourbon.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I had SGH's money, I'd buy everyone on the forum a copper model.
    Options
    If I had SGH's money, I'd buy everyone on the forum a copper model.
    If you had my money you would starve to death  :o

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never tried this. Looks like it should work though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5H2Opjql9g

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I use the technique shown above sometimes but nothing beats the insulated molds for convenience. 

• Wolfe
    Wolfe Posts: 79
    Options
    For some reason I get a bad taste out of silicon molds, typically it’s the couple drinks.  Has anyone else experienced this ? 
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Never tried this. Looks like it should work though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5H2Opjql9g
    This works very well.  I have done it several times.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,364
    Options
    I have a death star ice sphere mold
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I heard @SGH used to make ice spheres, but they always seemed to disappear somewhere.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Wolfe said:
    For some reason I get a bad taste out of silicon molds, typically it’s the couple drinks.  Has anyone else experienced this ? 
    Some silicon molds have a strong smell but the one I use now doesn’t smell at all.

Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Those the ones the Trump campaign are selling?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
     less work, directional ice bourbon bowls
    Ice Fishing Beverage Recommendations  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The  Ultimate Cooking Experience

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Ice Fishing Beverage Recommendations  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The  Ultimate Cooking Experience

You win fish!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is either Wisconsin or the beer has been imported.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,357
    Options
    That is either Wisconsin or the beer has been imported.

Good eye! I have a buddy that brings me Spotted Cow every time he's up there
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    @ColtsFan, he's a good friend, especially if there are still a few left by the time it reaches you. I am 10 minutes from access to Spotted Cow, but my bigger issue involves access to Yuengling.
    Stillwater, MN
  • thetrim
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Those the ones the Trump campaign are selling?

Always above board.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,459
    Options
    @ColtsFan, he's a good friend, especially if there are still a few left by the time it reaches you. I am 10 minutes from access to Spotted Cow, but my bigger issue involves access to Yuengling.
    Still amazes me the distribution issues they have. Oldest brewery in America! We got it in Louisiana almost 4.5 years ago. My BIL in Houston buys cases every time he comes in because all they can get there is Shiner 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My daughter got these at Walmart for like $3. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,186
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Still amazes me the distribution issues they have. Oldest brewery in America! We got it in Louisiana almost 4.5 years ago. My BIL in Houston buys cases every time he comes in because all they can get there is Shiner 
    Supposedly, Yuengling is headed out west soon.  No more hoarding here.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Never saw the appeal of Yuengling because it doesn't taste that good to me.  Maybe because it's hard to get in some places there's demand?  Anyway, it's ranked between 47,000th and 48,000th on the beer advocate.  Doesn't make sense, but look at the times.

edited October 2020
    Options
    Never saw the appeal of Yuengling because it doesn't taste that good to me.  Maybe because it's hard to get in some places there's demand?  Anyway, it's ranked between 47,000th and 48,000th on the beer advocate.  Doesn't make sense, but look at the times.

At least its made in America unlike those fancy pants eye-pee-ays that come from India.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,186
    Options

Rare/Hard to Get = coveted
    It falls in the budlight/coors light/Mich Ultra category for me.  I'll drink it if available, but I do not miss it when it is not available.  I am not a beer connisouierer though.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited October 2020
    Options

I liked it a lot better when it was THE microbrew. Time and beer have moved on, for me anyway. They do make a variety of beers besides Lager, and they give a great tour at the original brewery. And it's a far sight better than Bud Light!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories