Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - please hug your kids, and loved ones, extra hard tonight...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
I was asked to see a 2 yo kid who had nearly drowned yesterday. Was at his grandpa's place, mom popped out to do some errands. Grandpa was getting dinner ready, lighting the grill etc. Mom returned, and they couldn't find the child. Neighborhood search found him facedown in a nearby pond. The duration of submersion was unknown. Child had a pulse after 75mins of CPR, but not much else. 

The kid is in multisystem organ failure. I've been helping to deal with some of that for the last day or two. He's nearly brain dead. Met the distraught parents this morning. I'm usually good about staying composed and collected, but didn't do too well today. I can't even imagine this family's grief. 

Came home and hugged caliprince, until he thought his ribs might crack. Things can change in the blink of an eye. 

Sorry for the maudlin post, but just needed to unload a tad. 

Be well, y'all.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    That is so hard to comprehend all the way around.  I hope your post will focus others and preclude follow-on events.
    As I told my son and his wife  during their run-up to becoming parents, (now about a year ago), here is the question that always needs a positive answer, especially during a hand-off, "Who's got the kid watch?"  And that is to the exclusion of anything else.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    Those things are super tough to get through. I have seen my fair share of horrible stuff. I don't know you from anyone, but if you need to talk about it,  shoot me a PM and I will send my number. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    So sad. The 2 yo is going to an early grave, though perhaps the parents will donate harvested organs so others may live. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don’t know how you guys do it but I’m sure glad you do. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    So horrible and sad.  Matter of fact, we are new grandparents and will soon be helping to watch the little one. Thanks for the PSA.
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That’s a tough situation for sure. A tragedy that breaks your heart. Hang in there my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Between having four sons and being an idiot myself, we’ve had our share of scares and close calls...and even though they’re out of the house now.  This is a good reminder too keep holding them tight.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Fahk dude.  That's really horrible to hear, but I appreciate you sharing it with the collective here.

I believe in the power of prayer, and I appreciate what you did for this young on and the parents.

Godspeed young one....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    That’s a tough deal for all involved including you. 

I hope for the best outcome. 

I barely know you but if it were my kid, I’d want you involved. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I don’t even know what to say.

I’m glad you chose to share.  Hope you’re well.
  • caliking
    Options
    Thank you, all. Please keep this young one, and his family, in your thoughts or prayers. 

• caliking
    Options
    Those things are super tough to get through. I have seen my fair share of horrible stuff. I don't know you from anyone, but if you need to talk about it,  shoot me a PM and I will send my number. 
    Thank you. I trained, and worked at, trauma centers for all of my career thus far, so I'm no stranger to this. But, it does make it harder that these are children. 

• caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    So sad. The 2 yo is going to an early grave, though perhaps the parents will donate harvested organs so others may live. 
    Macabre as it may sound, this is actually the solace that many families find. 

• caliking
    Options
    I don’t know how you guys do it but I’m sure glad you do. 
    Despite times like this, I can't imagine doing anything else. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That is so hard to comprehend all the way around.  I hope your post will focus others and preclude follow-on events.
    As I told my son and his wife  during their run-up to becoming parents, (now about a year ago), here is the question that always needs a positive answer, especially during a hand-off, "Who's got the kid watch?"  And that is to the exclusion of anything else.  
    Very wise advice here. In gatherings, it’s easy to assume that, given numerous adults, the kids are well-covered. In reality, the opposite can be true, as responsibility becomes disperse and assumptions can be made about the level of supervision others are offering. Assigning clear lines of responsibility, even if only for a minute or two, are your best defense.

So very tragic. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Yikes buddy I feel for you.  All I can say is, knowing you, I’m hard pressed to think of a better person to take care of little kids.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A tragic story and one those parents will have to live with. If you didn’t let this stuff get to you, you ought not be in your line of work. Thanks for all you do.....and prayers for the family. 

The great things about kids is the hug you back. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    this is horrible, could not imagine that and especially with a 2 year old

was driving down the road years ago and came across a toddler beating feet. looked like she just learned to walk. pulled over and picked her up and put her on the seat and started blaring the horn. about a good twenty minutes passed before dad came running down the road. he thanked me and then commented that his wife would have killed him, couldnt believe it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Sorry for this family's tragedy and what all around are having to go through.  Provider fatigue is real and your thoughts on it are spot on.  When I stop crying when I'm faced with situations like this it will be time to hang up the scalpel and stethoscope.  Call me if you want to chat.  We can share some stories and tears... or talk about the great venison sausage we're going to make sometime in the future just for a distraction.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    Such a terribly sad situation for everybody involved.  The grief of the family must be indescribable.  The empathy and compassion you have for this boy and his family reveals your character, and that you care.  Such sage advice to not take anything for granted.  Thank you for what you do.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Read your post again. C’mon, sorry for the post? We can’t appreciate and thank you enough for what you do. Hard to imagine the emotional toll of dealing with such horrific incidents long term. Respect.
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    Macabre as it may sound, this is actually the solace that many families find. 
    My Father was legally blind, but received "eyes" of a dead accident victim and my dad saw for another 20 years.

My sister had congestive heart failure but lived another 24 years after receiving the heart from a 17 year old male accident victim.

My wife's grandmother donated her body to the U of MO for medical research.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Hold them close in your heart everyday, sad but thanks for sharing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    @caliking - Thanks for sharing that burden.  I hope it helped you in some small way.  Thank you for what you do, each and every day.  I hope the family can know that prayers for their strength and healing are being sent their way.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @caliking.  Any support we can provide you have my contact info.   I'm pretty useless but Mrs. B is a jewel of comfort with this type of thing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    That's tough for sure. I have had some dealings similar to this and as said before, PM me your number and we can chat

Dig deep and do all you can!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Such a terrible situation for all involved. Can't even begin to imagine the overwhelming sadness with a loss of a child like that.  It's just not the natural progression of life. Hang in there!  Praying for this family and you. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I once had to redirect traffic around an accident. Two high school kids ran into the back of a school bus at full speed. I was trying to keep traffic away from the EMTs while they were cutting the car to pieces in order to remove the bodies. One car kept try to come through. Finally she stopped and started to run past. It was one of the kids mother. I couldn’t leave my post in order to stop her before she got an eyeful. Probably 25 years ago and I will never forget it and I am sure she hasn’t.