Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling shave brush experts

Options
lentsboy007
lentsboy007 Posts: 416
edited May 2020 in Off Topic
Don’t see the shave brush experts on here anymore , but I need their help.  Want to start using a brush.  I shave with an old fashioned double bladed safety  razor and have for years, along with Barbasol.  Here is the problem.  I know the benefits of using a brush , but I’ve tried twice to use one and both times after a week I had a bad rash on my face  that required antibiotic ointment . These were at the corner of my lips where nicks are common.   One brush was artificial , the other was some kind of badger can’t remember which grade .  A few theories - a small nick got infected somehow, even tho I wouldn’t think I used the brush long enough to require cleaning . Also, as a kid I was allergic to mammal hair .  I got allergy shots for 2 years and have not had any issue around animals ever since .  I was 5 then , Im 39 now .  All it did was make me stuffy back then  , can’t believe it caused that rash now . Even if it did it wouldn’t explain the artificial brush.  

When I used the brush I rinsed it with hot water and hung it .  Only lasted a week or a little more before the rash.  Any ideas you shave brush and peak experts? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Best Answers

Answers

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Paging @SGH
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    ^^^^^^^nuf said
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    I have three different ones. 2 are natural silver tip badger. One is synthetic. Both types work great (I don’t have that sensitive of skin). @SGH is the resident lather brush expert tho, I’ll defer to him...
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Forgot to mention I do have pretty sensitive skin unfortunately 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Forgot to mention I do have pretty sensitive skin unfortunately 

Perhaps it's just contact dermatitis then and using a brush just isn't for you.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Did you change from Barbasol to a real shaving cream/soap? If so, perhaps you're allergic to that? Back in the day when I was into the @SGH thing, I rather liked soaps and creams from Taylor of Old Bond Street, Proraso, Geo F Trumper, Kent, Truefitt & Hill, Tabac, D.R. Harris and Musgo Real. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    While perhaps only peripheral to your question, I will say that if you have sensitive skin and are trying to avoid razor burn, then be sure to: i) shave right out of a hot shower, and ii) apply some type of oil (shaving oil or otherwise) onto the skin before your lather.

I have sensitive skin and shave my entire head with a double-edged safety razor daily, face every second day, and rarely get any sort of razor burn. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    I too use a preshave oil. Plenty of them out there. Also use a shave soap bar or cream, not aerosol shaving products
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    While perhaps only peripheral to your question, I will say that if you have sensitive skin and are trying to avoid razor burn, then be sure to: i) shave right out of a hot shower, and ii) apply some type of oil (shaving oil or otherwise) onto the skin before your lather.

I have sensitive skin and shave my entire head with a double-edged safety razor daily, face every second day, and rarely get any sort of razor burn. 
    I shave in the shower. I usually just use a lather of dial soap and a cheap razor. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2020
    Options
    One of the things Dad imparted to me was how to shave, will always be thankful. Synthetic brush with a 1” knot is ideal, but the quality has to be there - current one is at least a decade old. Like a car wash brush do not rinse and hang, just leave it in the mug - provided you use it daily. Always presoak before use. As for shaving cream, SWMBO uses “female” facial bars of soap to moisturize and soften her complexion. When the bars get near end of life and are too small to use they typically get chucked out. I throw them into the mug and all issues of sensitive skin have disappeare as well as great lather. Sometimes I smell a little floral, but it is what it is.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    carrda04 said:
    I have been using badger brushes with a DE razor for over a decade. Started because it seemed like I had horribly sensitive skin. Realized once I got the hang of wet shaving that it was just the multi-blade+crappy aerosol shaving cream that was causing the rashes and burn. Have been comfortable ever since. 

If you had the same reaction with synthetic and the badger hair, I'd guess it wasn't an allergic reaction. Here's what I'd do if I were you:

1. Find a high-quality sensitive skin saving cream that can be applied with a brush. (Taylor of Old Bond Street (Jermyn Street - Sensitive Skin); Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort; etc.).

2. Apply this cream with your hands for a week. See if you have any reaction.

3. If not, try a brush. Although it seems like the reaction may not have been allergic, there are enough quality synthetic brushes that you should probably just stick with that route. (Omega, Muhle, Simpson and many more).

4. Rinse and hang is all you need to do. Even if something weird developed with one brush it doesn't make sense it was both, and not after only a week. I am assuming the brush was the only think you changed in your routine those weeks, so it's logical to assume it was the brush. May never know the why and just chalk it up to some contact dermatitis-type condition. Not a satisfying answer, but who knows?

5. OPTIONAL - Join us bearded and cut down on the amount of face you shave. Best way to avoid that rash!
    Thanks for the detailed advice . Unfortunately, my job requires me to shave at least 5 times a week , and have a short haircut , which having the barbers closed has ruined .  

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Bump. @sgh time to get to work. You were obviously missed.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.