Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Espresso Machines

Options

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    Bought this for the wife a few months back when BB&B sent me a 20% coupon - specifically said it couldn’t be used on Breville but they took it anyhow. She is very happy with the lattes I make her. Thermopen comes in handy when heating/frothing milk. 

I don’t drink coffee - can’t stand the taste, but love the smell. Being a Chief in the Navy, this caused me to be seen as “weird.” I use it to heat/froth milk to make Chai lattes for myself.

I've been eyeing that one for some time. Caliqueen is not quite on board,  as she likes the convenience of the superautomatic we have. And we don't have the counter space for both. 

But I'm gonna  play the birthday card, or the Chrismahannukwanzawali card this year, and it'll show up at the door one day  =)
    As far as I can tell, there is only one thing you can't get her to sign off on.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    Bought this for the wife a few months back when BB&B sent me a 20% coupon - specifically said it couldn’t be used on Breville but they took it anyhow. She is very happy with the lattes I make her. Thermopen comes in handy when heating/frothing milk. 

I don’t drink coffee - can’t stand the taste, but love the smell. Being a Chief in the Navy, this caused me to be seen as “weird.” I use it to heat/froth milk to make Chai lattes for myself.

I've been eyeing that one for some time. Caliqueen is not quite on board,  as she likes the convenience of the superautomatic we have. And we don't have the counter space for both. 

But I'm gonna  play the birthday card, or the Chrismahannukwanzawali card this year, and it'll show up at the door one day  =)
    The chugging of bourbon slushies?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:

The chugging of bourbon slushies?
    @20stone - that issue was deftly circumvented by purchasing an InstantPot. Used most often for making... rice!!

@GrateEggspectations - weirdly enough, I don’t think she knows about that escapade. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:

The chugging of bourbon 

@GrateEggspectations - weirdly enough, I don’t think she knows about that escapade. 
    What happens around a raging campfire.....stays at said fire. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    As you climb down the rabbit hole and watch videos, etc, you’ll realize that you want a scale to measure both your grounds and your shot. 

I like this one - https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/brewista-smart-scale-ii

It has a mode where it autotares your cup, and starts a timer when it senses the weight of the shot starting. As you try to adjust your grind/tamp to get a 27 second shot (or whatever), it’s a useful tool. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited May 2020
    Options
    20stone said:
    As you climb down the rabbit hole and watch videos, etc, you’ll realize that you want a scale to measure both your grounds and your shot. 

I like this one...
    It has a mode where it autotares your cup, and starts a timer when it senses the weight of the shot starting. As you try to adjust your grind/tamp to get a 27 second shot (or whatever), it’s a useful tool.

Damn, I hope I don't get there. I have the Breville others have posted.  90% of the time I make a great latte.  Sometimes I don't get the tamp right, or I switched to a new bean that throws things off.  But it still takes me 5 minutes, start to finish, to get a cup of joe to my mouth hole in the morning. I don't need any more complexity. :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Gotta say, you guys are a bunch of A-holes. All this discussion and these photos of various espresso machines and your setups has now led me to start looking around. 

Saw a nice, lightly used Rocket Evoluzione V2 and grinder about a 4.5hr drive from here and I must say I am tempted.
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Gotta say, you guys are a bunch of A-holes. All this discussion and these photos of various espresso machines and your setups has now led me to start looking around. 

Saw a nice, lightly used Rocket Evoluzione V2 and grinder about a 4.5hr drive from here and I must say I am tempted.

If the shoe fits... :blush:

Sipping what I hope will be my least Nespresso right now, my Gaggia Classic Pro and Rancilio grinder arrive today from Whole latte love. Go for it!
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I highly recommend a coffee bean subscription with a well-known roaster once you get up and going. The Lavazza stuff is "good" when you're starting out, but as your tastes develop you'll start wanting to experiment with fresher, higher-quality beans.  Counter Culture out of North Carolina has a great subscription program with flat-rate shipping and is relatively affordable. Their FORTY-SIX Espresso blend is my goto if you like traditional espresso flavor profiles. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Does anyone here roast their own beans? And if so, have they done it on the Egg? I know I have previously seen posts about roasting beans on the Egg, but I forget who it was. When I looked into buying beans for roasting, the ones I could find were more expensive than the roasted variety. 
  • caliking
    Options

That's what this place is all about. It's like a fvckin' minefield with all the rabbitholes around...

• 2HB
    2HB Posts: 19
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I am a big fan of espresso. Had several machines over the past 20 years, and without question, the best machine I have owned is the Cafelat Robot. It's a manual machine, so you need to get a separate steaming device if you want to steam milk (I got a Bellman stovetop steamer and it is excellent). Together they are almost impossible to beat at any price, and since they are small and can both be easily lifted and put away into a cupboard, the spousal acceptance factor is through the roof. Here is the Robot in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7vLa48j6yk
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    2HB said:
    I am a big fan of espresso. Had several machines over the past 20 years, and without question, the best machine I have owned is the Cafelat Robot. It's a manual machine, so you need to get a separate steaming device if you want to steam milk (I got a Bellman stovetop steamer and it is excellent). Together they are almost impossible to beat at any price, and since they are small and can both be easily lifted and put away into a cupboard, the spousal acceptance factor is through the roof. Here is the Robot in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7vLa48j6yk
    Interesting. Only $684 CAD for this combo. Will have to look into these. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Does anyone here roast their own beans? And if so, have they done it on the Egg? I know I have previously seen posts about roasting beans on the Egg, but I forget who it was. When I looked into buying beans for roasting, the ones I could find were more expensive than the roasted variety. 
    I very briefly dipped my toes into the bean roasting waters. Sweetmarias.com is a popular starting point for folks. Price of entry was very reasonable. Got a starter pack of a few pounds of different kinds of beans, and an air popper to get going.

tried it a few times, and it was pretty satisfying, but it wasn't another hobby/rabbithole that I needed, so I didn't pursue it much. I'm sure you can roast beans on the egg, but likely need some kind of rotary basket device to roast them evenly. 

I still have some packs of green beans that I've been meaning to roast. Meanwhile, we're enjoying much better popcorn because of the air popper :)

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @caliking

If ever you feel like rekindling that fire, I’d love to see a post on bean roasting. 😊
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Just got my Brera. Initial thoughts are WOW. Incredible difference from my Lavazza machine.  Thanks for the advice @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  

What are some of the beans you guys use? My first order was Lavazza Super Crema because it was what I was getting in the pods.  It’s better of course but looking to explore.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Just got my Brera. Initial thoughts are WOW. Incredible difference from my Lavazza machine.  Thanks for the advice @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  

What are some of the beans you guys use? My first order was Lavazza Super Crema because it was what I was getting in the pods.  It’s better of course but looking to explore.  

Awesome! Glad you like it. We use a local espresso roast that we love (Ruta Maya). Coffee and espresso are such a personal taste I recommend buying small amounts of 3-4, tweak the settings a little with each one and see what you like. Once we hit on Ruta Maya we were done. Haven’t run a shot of anything else through there since. The flavors from fresh beans can be wildly different from each other so you are just going to have to play around until you find “the one”. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    rocket r58 double boiler, mahlkonig ek43s. I can run about 10 shots and milk drinks before I have to wait for reheat Temps. I profile my espresso shots daily for the single origin beans I have. I can't do most coffee shops and def not Starbucks. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @plumbfir01

Love that setup. After looking at units extensively, I feel like the Rockets are the ones that I want!
  • SonVolt
    Options
    rocket r58 double boiler, mahlkonig ek43s. I can run about 10 shots and milk drinks before I have to wait for reheat Temps. I profile my espresso shots daily for the single origin beans I have. I can't do most coffee shops and def not Starbucks. 

You win on the grinder alone. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @plumbfir01

Love that setup. After looking at units extensively, I feel like the Rockets are the ones that I want!

Rockets are great, definitely one of the most attractive machines on the market. Also you may want to check into ECM/Profitec range. I liked that they offered their boilers in stainless steel instead of copper, had larger capacity reservoirs and drip trays (less filling & dumping) and have a built-in dual PID controller (the integrated shot timer was mandatory for me). I believe with the Rocket it's a dongle you have to attach separately.  Any comparison of E61 machines in this price range is picking nits tho, so you can't go wrong with any of them!

Here's great comparison of what I feel are the 2 best double-boilers on the market. 

https://www.home-barista.com/advice/rocket-r58-v2-vs-profitec-pro-700-t42274.html

Whole Latte Love's comparisons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utMkSJD8WcI&feature=emb_title
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Spend the money on a higher quality grinder. It's way more important then the machine. I'm invested in a local coffee company here in Colorado that has done top 10 roasters in the US as well as barista competitions. I have learned alot from them in the last 4 years in my coffee endeavors. I will get a la marzocca linea mini next to match my ek43 grinder setup. I considered the profetic and a could others but I'm happy with the rockets. Check out home-barista forum  for some good info also!
    Beaufort, SC
  • caliking
    Options
    I will just say now...that I hate all y'all.

Resisted the coffee rabbithole for a good while, but have somewhat succumbed, as of today.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    And you’re welcome @caliking   I’m sure I owe you a few dollars spent.  Lol 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:

Resisted the coffee rabbithole for a good while, but have somewhat succumbed, as of today.
    Sounds like we’re very much on the same page. 

Tell you what.... shall we race to a dual-boiler? 😉
  • caliking
    Options
    And you’re welcome @caliking   I’m sure I owe you a few dollars spent.  Lol 
    Thanks for nothing! :)

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Sounds like we’re very much on the same page. 

Tell you what.... shall we race to a dual-boiler? 😉
    Oh man. I think it was Tuesday that I talked myself back from the edge of the dual boiler machine cliff. Didn't think my marriage would survive it. 

Doesn't mean I won't end up with one though =)

• 2HB
    2HB Posts: 19
    Options
    This is a golden age for espresso machines. Most of the semi-automatic machines out there are excellent. One thing to consider is the water that you will be running through the machine. Tap water will deposit scale in any machine, and the e61 group heads (including many other internal parts, such as the boilers and restrictor valves) of many semi-autos have chromed parts. Running descaler through these machines will strip the chrome, which will break off in tiny bits and make a huge mess. Scale build-up is the mortal enemy of any espresso machine. You can't use reverse osmosis or distilled water because the espresso will be under-extracted (sour, salty, and unpleasant), so you have to use water that has been treated to have enough minerals to properly extract the espresso and not cause scale in the machine. 

Start with a good grinder. Something like a Baratza Vario is an excellent inexpensive option.
  • BlueRidgeSmokers
    Options
    If you have hard water (like me - 180-200 ppm TDS), you can use bottled drinking water, which all seems to be adjusted to around 30ppm TDS, or, like I do, I combine ZeroWater (RO) water with carbon-filtered tap water to ~50ppm TDS, which is less expensive than either.

• SonVolt
    Options
    I make my own water by remineralizing gallon jugs of distilled water with Epsom Salt and Baking Soda. Fairly simple, cheap and I have complete control over hardness with theoretically no scale.