Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What’s In The Crate?

Options

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited April 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Is there main community/forum like this one for wood fired ovens? 
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/  is a good place to start. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I bet the wood fired oven forum folks are pretty lame on Friday and Saturday night zoom calls.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I bet the wood fired oven forum folks are pretty lame on Friday and Saturday night zoom calls.
    Pizzas cook so fast, no time to drink or be social.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Is there main community/forum like this one for wood fired ovens? 

The pizzamaking forum has a couple of sections for ovens. The hearth oven section would be useful for the large wood (or gas) fired types -

Not as active as it has been in the past but still lots of good info there.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    Options
    Get on it, Mike...

I have a Koda 16 that I haven't cooked on yet.  I need to get a batch of dough going...
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2020
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    Botch said:
    Damn you Mike!  A few months?!?!!?

:anguished:
    It does freeze up here in New England ya know - got to wait till things thaw out.
    Damn.  This might end up being the longest tease in forum history!
    Finally opened the crate today as I have time and a decent weather window this weekend. 

I ordered the 800b raised version, so the 4 pieces are the 3” riser blocks. Also shown is the front arch.

The raised version does make the dome higher than a true Neapolitan oven, but offers a good compromise between pizzas and baking turkeys, etc.

More pictures tomorrow during assembly. 
    Looks like a box of mid-western decorative tree rings.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing some cooks on this beast.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,096
    Options
    You guys are next level...looking forward to seeing some food...
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• thetrim
    Options
    That's pretty amazing and coming along real nicely!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    That is quite an addition.  I think @SciAggie may have nailed the guess a few months ago??  Enjoy as I know you will.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @CTMike That’s looking great. You will appreciate the double layer of insulation under the floor. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Thanks for continuing the updates, it's enjoyable following your project.  Very impressive work.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • CTMike
    Options
    Unfortunately I had to disassemble the entire thing due to a misalignment issue. It is now properly reassembled with three layers of 1” thick ceramic wool insulation. 

Next up is building the enclosure around it. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @CTMike That’s looking great. You will appreciate the double layer of insulation under the floor. 
    Thanks. The working height of the floor is right around 50” - just about perfect considering I am 6’ 2.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Still 125 F this morning when I went out and checked. This thing holds the heat crazy well. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    That is awesome man thanks for updating 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• CTMike
    Options
    More progress made today. Also did the second curing fire at 150 F. Tomorrow I can go up to 200 F. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That’s looking great. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CTMike
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That’s looking great. 
    Thanks, unfortunately I didn’t order the Selkirk Superpipe with the oven because I knew the local fireplace store would have it - they did, but wanted $700 for 3’ of pipe, adapter, and cap.

Got the exact same package from the oven seller for $350 - I like to shop local but not at double the price. Hopefully it arrives soon, really would like to get this closed in. Can’t wait for my first pie. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Status as of the end of the day. It is basically weatherproof now. Once the chimney pipe shows up the ice/water shield will get cut open and the roofing will get finished. Thinking about going with slate roofing tiles as I feel that will coordinate well with the veneer stone. 

Finished the third curing fire, only 4 more to go. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited June 2020
    Options
    A cardboard template made for a snug fit around the arch.

A quick little video, feel free to use it this Christmas time:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Looking good, @CTMike
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    Options
    Fourth and final curing fire in the WFO. Road tripped to Vermont to pick up slate roofing tiles, Heady Topper, Fiddlehead, Second Fiddle, and Sip of Sunshine. 

Pizza and amazing beer tomorrow. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    That fire is purty!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • thetrim
    Options
    Great timing @CTMike
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CTMike
    Options
    I purchased 6 dough balls from the local pizzeria as I don’t have time to get some ready for tomorrow. Can only fire the oven to 500 F as their recipe contains sugar.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    So nice!  How long did it take you to assemble everything?  I wonder if it would survive in a weather like ours 🤔