Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What’s In The Crate?

Options
124»

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited June 2020
    Options
    paqman said:
    So nice!  How long did it take you to assemble everything?  I wonder if it would survive in a weather like ours 🤔
    It would do just fine, you just need to to a couple low and slow curing fires at the beginning of each season to dry it out before going full on inferno mode. 

Assembly to the better part of a day, once the base was built and shelf poured. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I purchased 6 dough balls from the local pizzeria as I don’t have time to get some ready for tomorrow. Can only fire the oven to 500 F as their recipe contains sugar.
    The good part about that is that it will take the pies longer to cook.  At least 6 minutes I'd say, maybe as many as 8.  During that time they'll pick up some decent smoke from the fire.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Today's fire in preps for pizza later:

Can’t wait!
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    Breaking it in right!! Looking forward to some pizza pics!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    They all look pretty amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    OK my butt those look great man! way to play through
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Those look great Mike!  Love the oven and looks like many great times ahead.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang Mike.  I've been away a good bit.  This looks exciting!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Nice!

Did you buy pizza boxes?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CTMike
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Nice!

Did you buy pizza boxes?
    No, the pizzeria packed the dough balls in a couple boxes. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Options
    That is awesome. Looks great!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • CTMike
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Got the cabinet to the right roughed in today. The opening is for a SS door that has a paper towel holder on the back, and will contain a trash can. Next up is to install the veneer stone and then pour and polish the countertop. A sample of the veneer stone in the second photo.

I also made a half red - half pesto veggie pie on Friday. Unfortunately I couldn’t get an after action photo as our guests inhaled it incredibly quickly. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It looks like you are enjoying the oven. I’m glad. I cooked in mine today just because I wanted to fire it up. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CTMike
    Options
    Got started putting the veneer stone on. I’m clearly no mason but I think it looks pretty good so far. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    It’s looking really good. We applied our own cultured stone too. We were slow but it saved us a ton of money. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CTMike
    Options
    Spent some time getting a little more stone installed today:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    That will look amazing, thanks for keeping us posted!

Good luck  =)
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • CTMike
    Options
    Yesterday morning I started putting on the slate roof as the chimney collar showed up, then fired it up and threw on a couple pies: cheese for the grandkids, smoked salmon, red onion, and capers over a dill cream sauce, and a pear, prosciutto, and gorgonzola pie drizzled with a balsamic reduction after it came out of the oven.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Yesterday morning I started putting on the slate roof as the chimney collar showed up, then fired it up and threw on a couple pies: cheese for the grandkids, smoked salmon, red onion, and capers over a dill cream sauce, and a pear, prosciutto, and gorgonzola pie drizzled with a balsamic reduction after it came out of the oven.

That salmon and caper one looks amazing! (They all do really).
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Homemade pizza dough this time, Mike?
  • CTMike
    Options
    Homemade pizza dough this time, Mike?
    Yes, from the Elements book using the Ischia culture. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Got a little more work done yesterday and this morning before it got hot. Installed some more of the corners and some of the field on the back wall. I also removed the countertop from the form and got it polished - up to 1500 grit. A few air bubbles were exposed while polishing, I'm thinking I will just live with them instead of trying to fill with a slurry.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    CTMike said:
    A few air bubbles were exposed while polishing, I'm thinking I will just live with them instead of trying to fill with a slurry.

If you live where it freezes at night, I'd fill them up.   ;)

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• CTMike
    Options
    Botch said:
    CTMike said:
    A few air bubbles were exposed while polishing, I'm thinking I will just live with them instead of trying to fill with a slurry.

If you live where it freezes at night, I'd fill them up.   ;)
    Good call, I didn’t think of that. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.