Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to fess up... who cooks professionally?

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My pictures suck, but I do cook for large paid events but probably 50% of my cooks are Gratis, some insist on paying. 6-800 people is pressing it but can get it done 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I had a Kool-Aid stand when I was 5.... does that count?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    My first ever job was Mickie-D's.  Two weeks and outta there!  But I sure learned to run a cash register after adding up the items on paper and looking up sales tax on a chart.  Wow.  Now I print cookbooks.  WAY easier.
    That is what I had to do at BK. Then take money, figure change without a machine, and count it back to the customer. Those were the days!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Somehow, I don't think the OP was interested in your high school exploits at a burger or pizza joint. "Boiling bags of meat" has to be the prize winner though!

Any real cooking training or experience here?
    Face it. People who do it professionally are at work, work all the time and have little time for Internet banter on a website. 
    Good point. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WhiteyQ
    WhiteyQ Posts: 29
    Options
    Worked at a dinner theater in San Antonio, TX '81-'84 "Fiesta Dinner Playhouse". Served-up some of the tastiest institutional buffet chow in town. Also got some mad knife skills carving steamship roast beef rounds out on the buffet line. Great times.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The number of people who have graduated from a culinary program are a small fraction of the total number of people that cook institutionally.

There are many scullions in the industry (look it up).
    I also cooked for 2 years in a very busy seasonal restaurant here in austin when I was 18-20 ish. Went from dish to cooking and everything in between. Crazy job. Coked  out owner, Coked out customers,
    frisky (coked out) front-of-house girls. Was like working on a pirate ship. Ah the 80’s
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I also cooked for 2 years in a very busy seasonal restaurant here in austin when I was 18-20 ish. Went from dish to cooking and everything in between. Crazy job. Coked  out owner, Coked out customers,
    frisky (coked out) front-of-house girls. Was like working on a pirate ship. Ah the 80’s
    privately owned restaurants are fueled by drugs from the front to the back of the house.  So if any of you have kids....
    privately owned restaurants are fueled by drugs from the front to the back of the house.  So if any of you have kids....
    When we got in the weeds The coke dealer “Sharif” would come back with a jumbo Tylenol bottle full of blow and dump some
    out on a stainless table top and walk out. It
    was like hyenas on a warthog. Then a few trays of cold ass beers would mysteriously show up. It was a different time. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When we got in the weeds The coke dealer “Sharif” would come back with a jumbo Tylenol bottle full of blow and dump some
    was like hyenas on a warthog. Then a few trays of cold ass beers would mysteriously show up. It was a different time. 
    It was a little more discrete where I worked.  The "code" for going out back and smoking was "hey, give me a hand taking the trash out".  (The trash in the kitchen weighed around 200 pounds so you actually did need two people to dump it). 
    It was a little more discrete where I worked.  The "code" for going out back and smoking was "hey, give me a hand taking the trash out".  (The trash in the kitchen weighed around 200 pounds so you actually did need two people to dump it). 
    Lots of hyjinx on the trash runs and lots in the walk-in too. It’s was like 140 degrees in that kitchen. No ac, just a squirrel fan in the ceiling blowing in 110 Texas summer air from a metal
    roof. We would fight over who got to prep veg in the walk-in. It was a few hours of peace and semi comfort. It was not unheard of to walk in on someone smoking weed or a couple of horny waitrons “knocking one out” in there before we got busy. I could write a book. It was insane. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'm guessing the OP is regretting starting this thread at this point...
    Ha ha. True. Genie is clearly out of the bottle
    now though. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Lots of hyjinx on the trash runs and lots in the walk-in too. It’s was like 140 degrees in that kitchen. No ac, just a squirrel fan in the ceiling blowing in 110 Texas summer air from a metal
    roof. We would fight over who got to prep veg in the walk-in. It was a few hours of peace and semi comfort. It was not unheard of to walk in on someone smoking weed or a couple of horny waitrons “knocking one out” in there before we got busy. I could write a book. It was insane. 
    And let's not forget the mandatory deal with the bartender.  We keep them fed and they keep us drunk.

We had a vent hood running the length of the kitchen.  It was one of those kitchens completely exposed to the restaurant patrons, behind a long counter. Hot as f*ck, or cold as f*ck depending on the time of the year. 

At the end of the night we would pelt the dishwasher with baked potatoes, the swinging door was the shield.  I've been on both ends of that. 

Lots of pranks and playin around.  A few things were off limits like when you're carrying 10 gallons of hot oil to the recycling.  Dangerous environment.  Constant burns, cuts, oil splashes, flare-ups.  It's like 'nam.

New busboys would be put on oyster shuckin' duty and inevitably one would stab himself in the hand.  We all pulled straws on who did the hospital run.

The music was awesome...pretty much either any reggae or Bruce Springsteen.
    Options
    When I was in uniform and on the road, midnight Dunkin Donuts guy would sometimes let me flip the donuts frying in the oil.  Nothing builds confidence in the citizens than seeing four blue and white cars behind DD at 0400.  Our other favorite hangout was Sambo's (not very PC these days) but all they would do is let me stir sugar in my free coffee.  BTW, the coffee was free but the (dare I be non PC again) waitress generally got a couple of bucks tip for serving nothing but coffee.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Told The Spouse about this, and she reminded me that when I was wooing her she worked summers at Lancer Pizza at Disney World.  All the underground stuff and uniforms and so on.  Her best stories are the after closing work when she crawled into huge ovens to clean them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    We'd close down the pizza shop for the night, clean the place, make ourselves some food and drink from the kegs all night since they weren't trackable. It was a real good time if someone had a doobie. Nothing better than having a pizza shop to yourself when you have the munchies 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    Worked at KFC for three years in high school.  Couldn't even guess how much chicken I cooked during that time - 25 years later and I still cannot eat original recipe.  I really enjoyed when the dominos guy would deliver pizza through the drive through in exchange for chicken.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    chard said:
    Worked at KFC for three years in high school.  Couldn't even guess how much chicken I cooked during that time - 25 years later and I still cannot eat original recipe.  I really enjoyed when the dominos guy would deliver pizza through the drive through in exchange for chicken.
    That’s what most people don’t understand. When we owned the restaurant/store we sold some very high quality food. People used to always say “you guys must eat the most amazing food”! In truth, The last thing we wanted to eat was what we had been handling all day. We ate what we didn’t sell, what was left over, or at the restaurant next door while swapping war stories with the owners there. We did eat some amazing meals from time to time but I ate more horrible fast food as a restaurant owner than I ever did before or since. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,268
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Sounds more like a party than work, but in the restaurant biz, the lines often blur. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Who has read Anthony Bourdain's book on this topic?  I have. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Who has read Anthony Bourdain's book on this topic?  I have. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Never worked in the biz but Kitchen Confidential is a fun read - gives the outsider a glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes.  However, I take exception to the comment above about needing to work in the industry to appreciate a fine meal/good restaurant-service.  Too often it's simply a lack of common sense and decency that turns me off.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    I turned pro after working part time for two years at Arby's.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Oh please share the secrete as to how they make that Roast Beef Sandwich so good. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Oh please share the secrete as to how they make that Roast Beef Sandwich so good. 
    I think it’s the secrete sauce.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike