Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Juice

MattBTI
MattBTI Posts: 417
What do you guys use for your butt juice to add some pop to your final pulled pork product, or do you add anything? I've been using a recipe I found in steven raichlen's Sauces Rubs and Marinades book that I adapted from another recipe in that book to pulled pork. Its basically a vinegar and butter concoction with a little cayenne and pepper. I typically don't use drip pans when I cook low and slow. Just let the juices drip straight onto the PS so I don't end up with drippings to mix back in. 

Just curious to hear if there is much variety among the methods. 

Thanks

Pratt, KS

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    MattBTI said:
    What do you guys use for your butt juice to add some pop to your final pulled pork product, or do you add anything? I've been using a recipe I found in steven raichlen's Sauces Rubs and Marinades book that I adapted from another recipe in that book to pulled pork. Its basically a vinegar and butter concoction with a little cayenne and pepper. I typically don't use drip pans when I cook low and slow. Just let the juices drip straight onto the PS so I don't end up with drippings to mix back in. 

Just curious to hear if there is much variety among the methods. 

Thanks

I do nothing with it except throw it in the trash same with Brisket drippings. No reason other than I don't care/am too lazy to make a sauce with them.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Always a drip pan and then into the trash. Beyond that, you lost me when you mentioned Raichlen.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    I think you will soon be getting the Cesar Hernandez salute for your thread..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MattBTI
    To clarify from my OP; do any of you add anything to your pulled pork, once pulled, or do you just pull and serve?
    Pratt, KS
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2019
    MattBTI said:
    To clarify from my OP; do any of you add anything to your pulled pork, once pulled, or do you just pull and serve?
    Eastern NC vinegar sauce

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Put all of the juices in a fat separator and allow it to cool and remove the fat from the top.  I then poor some of it back in with the some of my pulled pork.  If I’m at a comp we use it reduced and mix it with some of our sauce and drag the money muscle, tubes meat and top our pulled with it. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• MattBTI
    @Carolina Q thank you. I looked up some recipes for that sauce style and would say what I add is similar with the addition of some butter. 
    Pratt, KS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    ryantt said:
    Put all of the juices in a fat separator and allow it to cool and remove the fat from the top.  I then poor some of it back in with the some of my pulled pork.  If I’m at a comp we use it reduced and mix it with some of our sauce and drag the money muscle, tubes meat and top our pulled with it. 
    You drag your money muscle through butt juice? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    MattBTI said:
    What do you guys use for your butt juice 
    This has got to be the greatest question ever asked on the forum. I proudly give it the Double Seal Of Approval and the Cesar Hernandez salute👍

And by all means, keep the questions coming brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i do the turbo butts, so after the bark on the outside is satisfactory, i wrap in foil to finish.  i typically pull the pork after it starts to pull away from the bone and is super tender.  what juice is left in the foil after the wrap i do mix in with the meat after pulling. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2019
    SGH said:
    MattBTI said:
    What do you guys use for your butt juice 
    This has got to be the greatest question ever asked on the forum. I proudly give it the Double Seal Of Approval and the Cesar Hernandez salute👍

And by all means, keep the questions coming brother👍
    Can it be used as an aftershave? Asking for a friend. 
  • I just mix the magical butt juice in from either the foil or paper wrap, and finish it off with a little salt and white vinegar, nothing fancy here.  Is it Friday yet?
    Madison WI

Large Big Green Egg • Pit Barrel Cooker • 36” Blackstone Griddle • New Holland Grill • Weber Q
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Brine it. Rub it. Coat it in peach preserves. Cook it. Pull it. Serve it.
    Preserves create a hard crust that keeps the pork butt moist and tender, which is also helped from the brining process.
    No need for collecting "butt juice".
    Melts in your mouth.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 259
    So what you are asking is if it’s okay to have butt juice on your PP?

Answer: it’s becoming more and more accepting 

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    YukonRon said:
    Preserves create a hard crust that keeps the pork butt moist and tender, which is also helped from the brining process.
    Melts in your mouth.
    That sounds ridiculous.  No butt juice?  Really?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    Melts in your mouth.
    You, of all the eggers, should know. You turned me on to this recipe, back when I had no idea where to put lump in these BGEs.

Everyone that tastes this cook agrees they have had none better, anywhere.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MattBTI
    @SGH I am honored to have received my first, and likely only, SGH Seal of Approval. Thank you, sir. 
    Pratt, KS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    Melts in your mouth.
    Brent is cantankerous today. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    Melts in your mouth.
    Brent is cantankerous today. 
    He’s been spun up ever since returning from his latest peace out.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    Melts in your mouth.
    Brent is cantankerous most days. 
    FTFY. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    lkapigian said:
    Could have been a friday thread
    It's got potential. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • MattBTI
    edited June 2019
    Making butt juice as we speak. 
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    This is the recipe I follow, although I use about 1/4 of the cayenne. 
    Pratt, KS
  • bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    Melts in your mouth.
    Brent is cantankerous most days. 
    FTFY. 
    And here I thought I was the only one to have noticed a change in his demeanour. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Spider fell in my butt juice this morning, was both exciting and disappointing.   I just flushed it.  Fck it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Spider fell in my butt juice this morning, was both exciting and disappointing.   I just flushed it.  Fck it.
    Looks like somebody needs a new toilet seat.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.