Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Everyday Olive Oil

Comments

• AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Costco, decanted into an empty bottle of Erna Schein Sante Fumée, as seen in my profile picture, for easier pouring. 
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

This is our "everyday" stuff, as long as Costco has it in stock. I have a local place that has various olive oils and vinegars from California, Greece, Italy, and Spain if I'm feeling fancy, but the KS stuff is pretty good and fancy enough 99% off the time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Shoutout for Costco Kirkland.  Always good.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733

after reading bad things on the web about the berio, i might try the california olive ranch. seems to be readily available here

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354

after reading bad things on the web about the berio, i might try the california olive ranch. seems to be readily available here

I've used that one a bunch.  It's a quality everyday EVO.  I can buy it at Kroger in these parts.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I use Whole Foods 365 Italian daily, mixed with red wine vinegar over a salad.. works for me

https://www.seriouseats.com/2009/09/taste-test-cheap-best-olive-oils.html
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Hmm, Felippo Berio here too (Gaea Fresh for the "good stuff").  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Sounds like I need to start buying olive oil at Costco  :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    ColtsFan said:
    Sounds like I need to start buying olive oil at Costco  :)
    You should.
    Cuz when you find a half used bottle in the back of your pantry that you bought seven years earlier and forgot about and is now rancid you just take it back and they'll give you a new bottle for free. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Good and freshly harvested olive oil is a game changer #cliche. The Filippo berrio is junk. 
    California Ranch, 365 Spanish are legit. Harvest date on the bottle. Never buy an olive oil without the harvest date (not sell by) on the bottle if you want decent oil. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • newEGGlandah
    newEGGlandah Posts: 20
    edited May 2019
    California evoo is the purest way to make sure some dirty Italian mafioso didn’t dilute your oil with vegetable/fentanyl/used motor oil blend.  Pretty sure ATK/cooks country agrees.  Buy sep-oct harvest year prior for freshest harvest.  Berrio is one of the names getting sued for being watered down garbage.    Berrio probably better suited for Kraft therapeutic massage sessions.
    Large&Mini BGEs:  HeaterMeter w/Roto Damper, Thermapen, ET-733, CI Woo&Spider
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    bgebrent said:
    Good and freshly harvested olive oil is a game changer #cliche. The Filippo berrio is junk. 
    California Ranch, 365 Spanish are legit. Harvest date on the bottle. Never buy an olive oil without the harvest date (not sell by) on the bottle if you want decent oil. 
    Man you are really are an olive oil snob. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Ironically this just popped up on my EweTube feed, ATK's test of "supermarket" OO's:

https://youtu.be/t4QwfPVho3U

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 259
    bgebrent said:
    Man you are really are a snob. ftfy

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    Man you are really are an olive oil snob. 
    My taste buds are. I have nothing to do with it. 
  • bgebrent
    And for all the Italian OO buyers, try Spanish extra virgin oils. More nose and finish than the Italian oils. It all comes down to taste. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I have a squeeze bottle w 50/50 EVOO and Canola
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569

I only use what Giada suggests..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DoubleEgger
    Since I was told that I was using “junk” olive oil, the wifey and I stopped by the place @Lit recommended. Here’s the haul. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989

Snob

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2019
    YukonRon said:

Snob

I need a Breitling and a limited edition Range Rover now. I’m looking forward to seeing how the upper crust of society lives tomorrow when I use the black cherry infused vinegar on some roasted brussel sprouts. Now I just need some grey poupon.... 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    YukonRon said:

Snob

I need a Breitling and a limited edition Range Rover now. I’m looking forward to seeing how the upper crust of society lives tomorrow when I use the black cherry infused vinegar on some roasted brussel sprouts. Now I just need some grey poupon.... 
    I think the Cranberry pear will take steamed broccoli to another level..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DoubleEgger
    Lit said:

Nice haul @DoubleEgger.

Thanks for the tip. The oils are good but I’ve been very impressed with their vinegars. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2019
    California evoo is the purest way to make sure some dirty Italian mafioso didn’t dilute your oil with vegetable/fentanyl/used motor oil blend.  Pretty sure ATK/cooks country agrees.  Buy sep-oct harvest year prior for freshest harvest.  Berrio is one of the names getting sued for being watered down garbage.    Berrio probably better suited for Kraft therapeutic massage sessions.

Not anymore. California Olive Ranch just pulled a bait 'n switch and now sources their olives globally. Up until a few months ago their EVOO was harvested 100% from California.  Their bottles now say "Destination Series" to reflect the change.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    SonVolt said:

Not anymore. California Olive Ranch just pulled a bait 'n switch and now sources their olives globally. Up until a few months ago their EVOO was harvested 100% from California.  Their bottles now say "Destination Series" to reflect the change.  
    Their Destination Series is just a separate line of oils. They still sell some lines that are 100% Cali sourced.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    0W-40 Mobile 1 full synthetic that meets A40 specifications.
    Sounds kind of European.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    Is it peppery or grassy or fruity?

• DoubleEgger
    Nah. I like a smidge of dinosaur in my oil.