Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Savory Burnt Ends

Options
smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited February 2019 in EggHead Forum

The first time I made burnt ends was almost 6 years ago.  They were made from a 50-day dry
aged Snake River Farms Wagyu beef brisket point and I’m not sure if I’ll ever be able to top
them.  I’ll still try, however.  This latest effort utilized 2 brisket points from grass fed cattle.

The plan was to marinate them in Kosmos Reserve Blend injection sauce and then inject them
prior to smoking, but I found out that my injector was non-functional at the last minute.  They
had been marinating for 2 days at this point, so I just opted to baste them once an hour.  The
rub consisted of OakRidge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub with some porcini mushroom powder,
along with additional onion and garlic powder.

A rope of beef sausage was cored out and stuffed with a blend of smoked cream cheese,
parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, spinach and artichoke hearts.  This was wrapped in homemade
beef bacon which was cured with herbs de provence, garlic, onion and fresh ground pepper.

Hickory, oak and cherry woods were used for this cook.

Once the bark had set, the brisket points were basted with an apple cider vinegar, beef broth
and pit beef au jus mixture every hour or so.  

At 165F, the points were wrapped in butcher paper with more of the basting sauce until they
hit 190F.  Then everything got cubed and covered in a sauce made with Stubb’s Original BBQ
sauce, the remaining pit beef au jus and brown sugar.

After a few hours on the Egg.

Just before the burnt ends were almost done, I cooked a batch of buttermilk polenta cornbread.

The burnt ends were finally done and I was more than ready to chow down.

A baby spinach and campari tomato salad with raspberry walnut dressing rounded out the
meal.

More bark would have been preferred but boy were the burnt ends tasty.  The rich, beefy flavor
imparted by the use of the pit beef au jus and the spicy Stubb’s BBQ sauce helped to balance
what tends to be a rather heavily sweet dish.  The sweetness was an afternote instead of upfront and in your face.  I’ve made the heifer log several times now and this rendition was my favorite. The homemade beef bacon and artichokes upped the ante by a large margin.

For dessert I tried to put a healthier spin on dutch apple pie a la mode by making the ice cream
from vanilla flavored protein powder.  The base consisted of evaporated milk and seeds from 2
Indonesian vanilla beans, which then had vanilla protein powder added.

Gala apples were peeled, cored, sliced, covered in apple cider and seasoned with a cinnamon
sugar blend prior to being cooked on the Egg until they had softened.  They were then further
cooked with more apple cider and pureed.

Pie dough was rolled out thin, coated in cinnamon sugar, baked until flaky and then crumbled.

I had some streusel left over from the last time I made gelato.  The ice cream base was churned in the Gelato Pro and was constructed by layering the crust, apples, streusel and then ice cream.

There wasn’t much additional sugar added to this recipe so it wasn’t very sweet but just sweet
enough.  It tasted just like dutch apple pie in the form of ice cream.  The bonus was that this
quart of ice cream packed a whopping 180 grams of protein.  The small scoop I had left me
completely stuffed.  Good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments