Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pit Beef

smokingalsmokingal Posts: 321
edited February 11 in EggHead Forum

Pit beef is something I hadn’t tried before and when I scored a good deal on some eye of round, I added it to the menu.  It was a 4.5lb hunk of meat that I trimmed down to remove fat and silverskin. Leftover oxtail marinade was used in allowing the meat to marinate for a little over a day.  It was cooked sous vide for 24 hours at 131F, followed by an ice bath and overnight stint in the fridge.

The standard pit beef rub was applied and the meat was heated up to 100F on the Egg using
oak and cherry wood, with the Egg dialed in at 250F.

Once the meat hit 100F, I pulled it and cranked the temp up to 450F to get a good sear.

I figured I would end up with a medium-well temp cooking the meat this way and I was right.

A fluffy kaiser roll, lots of tiger sauce which was made the day before and a small pile of fries
made for a tasty dinner.

The pit beef was super tender.  In fact, I’d have preferred a bit more chew.  Next time I’ll try
cooking it indirect and then finish it by searing.  The tiger sauce was a new thing for me
and I’m glad I gave it a go.  The marinade added a good deal of flavor to the crust and some
seemed to permeate the interior, most likely due to the sous vide cook.

I couldn’t help but fix a sandwich akin to a cheesesteak.  Beef broth along with the liquid from
the sous vide cook was used to make some au jus.  This was added to the pit beef and onions to enhance their flavor and encourage browning.  A mozzarella cheese sauce was made to
drench the pit beef cheesesteak and a hoagie roll was split, coated in garlic butter and pan
toasted on a cast iron griddle.

It really hit the spot.  Deliciously good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap
http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 12,296
    I’m a big fan of pit beef, but that cheesesteak-esque sammich looks REALLY good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEggerStillH2OEgger Posts: 2,227
    Wow, all kinds of goodness going on with that cheesesteak. Great job all around.
    Stillwater, MN
  • johnmitchelljohnmitchell Posts: 4,823
    Fantastic post as always... Drool !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,106
    Another inspirational cook and documentation.  Everything looks incredible as always.  Congrats. 
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • TeefusTeefus Posts: 832
    Looks tasty! Great minds think alike. I did an eye of round this weekend too. I did a 6 hour simple marinate (salt and brown sugar) followed by a coating of prime rib rub and 90 minutes on the egg at a dome temp of 375*. I pulled it at 125* internal and wrapped it in foil and a towel for two more hours. Then it went in the fridge. Very tender with a nice chew when sliced thin. I wish I had a meat slicer for those fluffy slices. My slicing knife and some attention to detail will have to do.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • This looks amazing, nice job!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 907
    Looks great!  Not questioning the method, just asking about the "safe zone."  I always heard that meat shouldn't stay more than 4 hours between 40 - 140 degree F.  

Is 131 safe because it's sous vide?? 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • saluki2007saluki2007 Posts: 4,291
    Image result for mother of god gif
    Large and Small BGE
    Morton, IL

• Hoster05Hoster05 Posts: 120
    wow.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • Ok, now I’m hungry. Both looks fantastic 
  • JohnnyTarheelJohnnyTarheel Posts: 5,728
    Hoowee...: I need an invite!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • fantastic cook!
  • smokingalsmokingal Posts: 321
    @GoooDawgs When cooking for more than a few hours, the temp must be above 130F.  This article explains it fairly well.  
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,173
    Yet another home run from @smokingal !!! That looks amazing.  As always, thanks for posting.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,280
    Fantastic cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 8,383
    SHEEET!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,669
    Great cook ! Hand slice? ....Thinking I may try this but smoke first , SV then chill, slicer then to the griddle...Thanks for the inspiration
    Visalia, Ca
  • smokingalsmokingal Posts: 321
    @lkapigian Thanks.  I sliced this up on my Chef's Choice 667. Hopefully you'll post the results of your pit beef effort. 
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 4,669
    edited February 13
    smokingal said:
    @lkapigian Thanks.  I sliced this up on my Chef's Choice 667. Hopefully you'll post the results of your pit beef effort. 
    @smokingal ; Would be awesome to soak the slices in a bone marrow stock 
    Visalia, Ca
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 5,058
    You go girl.  B)
  • wowzer that looks yummy!!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 2,013
    Very nice and great write up 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,936
    Damn tasty looking!