Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking and how are you preparing for the National Emergency?

Options

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited February 2019
    Options
    No national emergency here. I’m in Canada. 

We will keep supplying the comedy, you just keep that oil flowing.  Thanks Canada, we love you.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Yeah, well if guys like @unoriginalusername keep trying to smuggle RW into Canada, you're going to end up with a wall too!!!!   :P
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

We will keep supplying the comedy, you just keep that oil flowing.  Thanks Canada, we love you.
    Back at you, buddy!
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Tri Tip. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Snagged three [fresh] whole turkey breast sections from Hannaford (the one I normally shop at). All three are in the 7-1/4 to 8-1/2 pound range. Got one in the fridge and two in the chest freezer (they were still hard when I got them). One goes on the egg tomorrow after the snow is done. I'll plan it so that it comes off in time to put the chicken breasts on for dinner (tomorrow plus part way though the week). I can usually get about four days out of the three pack, so I should be good until Friday(ish).
    Made a batch of sammich bread today too (will be baking it tonight).
    Might go into the basement tomorrow morning and make some ammo. ;) Might be able to get to the range while the turkey is smoking. :)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    1911Man said:
     Might be able to get to the range
    I hit the range again today. Had a blast just plinking. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 1911Man
    Options
    @SGH Whatcha got there??
    I sent out a message to a local dealer to see if he can get me pricing on either a Marlin or Winchester lever action in 38/357 (gave two models of Marlin, open ended on Winchester's). Since I have a GP100 in 357 Magnum, I have a desire to get a LA in that same caliber. Then once my saved brass hits critical mass, I'll set up to reload it. Or maybe before that if I can score some good brass for not stupid prices.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Henry or uberti are worth a look at 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• 1911Man
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Don't like the loading method with the Henry's... Completely unnatural to me to drop rounds down a tube like that. Especially full size rounds like 357 Magnum (and above). Maybe in a 22LR I'd be OK. But I'm looking to get a 10/22 to fill the 22LR rifle spot. Not to mention I can get a 110 round drum for that. ;)
    I'll make sure that I won't have to put any $$ down to get him to get something in store. Then if I don't like it, I'll walk away. There's another store further into NH that I'll check with when I'm actually ready to buy. While I'd prefer to go to the little guys, if they can't get what I want, I'll have to go to a store that will.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    1911Man said:

I still love shooting my .22. Had it since I was 12. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    We don't prep for the end of times but we do have a plan.  I figure I'd pop a cap in the first fat kid with a huge bug out bag that has been living in Momma's basement.  If you think about it, it's a lot easier.  In any case, if this indeed the end. I cooked up some comfort food.  Country style steak, cream potatoes with gravy and baked beans. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• SGH
    Options
    1911Man said:
    @SGH Whatcha got there?? 
    It’s a little Henry H001 I bought to train my granddaughter on. Great little gun to just play around with. I have a bolt action Anshultz 64 MPR for true target shooting. But the little Henry is far more fun to play around and plink with. For 225 bucks you can’t beat it.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    1911Man said:

My .22 long gun has slayed dozens of Nutria and hundreds of cotton mouths.   I love plinking.  But I'm too scared of the caravans to go out in the woods since the National Emergency. 
    SGH said:
    1911Man said:

Water?! What, no beer allowed on the range?
  • SGH
    Options
    It’s hard to beat a 22 for a good time. You can shoot thousands of rounds for a little of nothing. I enjoy breaking out the big guns from time to time, but it gets expensive real fast. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Water?! What, no beer allowed on the range?
    If you look at that bottle real close you can see it has tobacco spit in it. The range has a real strict rule about tobacco. You have to spit in a plastic container with a screw on lid. Hence the water bottle. 

Status- Standing by.

• 1911Man
    Options
    SGH said:
    It’s hard to beat a 22 for a good time. You can shoot thousands of rounds for a little of nothing. I enjoy breaking out the big guns from time to time, but it gets expensive real fast. 
    That's why you reload the bigger rounds. ;)
    I'm considering getting a RCBS Pro Chucker 5 (since it can also convert to the 7) as my first progressive press. Been using a Lyman turret press my father bought in the late 80's or early 90's. I just want to produce more 45 ACP ammo per hour now. I'll probably set it up for 223 and 300 Blackout not long after. Benefit (so far) is I'll only need two shell plates (45ACP and 308 Win share one, as does 223 and 300 Blackout). Of course, I'm also thinking about making an upper in 6.5mm Grendel, so I can see setting up for that too. I might leave some calibers on the Lyman, and move others to the RCBS.
    BTW, if you reload check out Inline Fabrication (www.inlinefabrication.com). I got their ergonomic lever for the Lyman and it's the balls. I'll be getting one of their quick mounts for the Lyman as well as the progressive. Two thumb nuts is all that you need to remove to change out the press at that point.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    SGH said:
    1911Man said:

My .22 long gun has slayed dozens of Nutria and hundreds of cotton mouths.   I love plinking.  But I'm too scared of the caravans to go out in the woods since the National Emergency. 
    I'd be afraid of them coming across the Gulf  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    Options
    1911Man said:
    That's why you reload the bigger rounds. ;) 
    I do reload when I have the time. That’s been my problem though the last few years. I hardly have any free time due to being offshore or overseas. And when I do get a little time off my granddaughters move in on me. But I certainly don’t mind that at all. 
    For the most part I have been buying bulk, surplus ammo. The price per round rivals what you can reload for without the hassle of reloading. Of course this is only true for 223, 308, 9mm and 45acp. For the 338 Lapua and the Big 50 you are forced to reload or bite the bullet (pun intended) and pay a premium price. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I'd be afraid of them coming across the Gulf  =)
    I don’t think that Nutria rats can cross the Gulf. I have worked out there for years and never saw one in the deep water. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They do not like salt water.  Brackish, yes.  They are all over the marshes here.  
    Options
    This really feels like it’s the new what are you doing now.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    1911Man said:
    Don't like the loading method with the Henry's... Completely unnatural to me to drop rounds down a tube like that. Especially full size rounds like 357 Magnum (and above). Maybe in a 22LR I'd be OK. But I'm looking to get a 10/22 to fill the 22LR rifle spot. Not to mention I can get a 110 round drum for that. ;)

I'd be interested to see how reliable that one is......only a matter of time before they make it for AR's.  The 50 rnd Blackdog one I have for a 9" .22LR upper on my M16 is not very reliable.  Its very finicky with the spring tension and the ammo (pain in the butt to load too!)  It's quicker to just run two 25 round mags than to screw around with the drum......looks cooler though. 

On 10/22, they're like a Jeep Wrangler......pretty cheap to get into, but you'll spend more than the initial investment pimping them out.  You'll want to replace the mag release, trigger pack, etc with the Volquartsen stuff.  Then I put a Williams iron site + rail set on mine.  I started out with a Takedown when they first came out--I sent the barrel off to be cut down to 16" and threaded for a suppressor.  I'd like to get the integral one they came out with.  Also, Magpul has a replacement stock that allows you to lock the foregrip into the butt stock which is pretty cool (plus store 3 10rnd mags under the cheek rest.)
  • stlcharcoal
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My favorite plinking gun is a pump action Remington Model 12.  It's basically the old "gallery gun" from the carnivals (B-model with shorts only).  But with the A & C model, you can load it with any size 22.  I have the C-model which has a 22" octagonal barrel and is damn accurate.  I believe it's a mid-1930's model based off the proof marks.  
  • SGH
    Options
    My favorite plinking gun is a pump action Remington Model 12.  It's basically the old "gallery gun" from the carnivals (B-model with shorts only).  But with the A & C model, you can load it with any size 22.  I have the C-model which has a 22" octagonal barrel and is damn accurate.  I believe it's a mid-1930's model based off the proof marks.  
    You don’t see many of those old gallery guns floating around anymore. Especially the “shorts” only models. I have a very old Winchester 62 smooth bore 22 “Garden Gun” that was my grandfathers. You don’t see many of those either. Years ago, everyone that lived in the woods had one. 

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can you call a .22 rifle a long gun?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Can you call a .22 rifle a long gun?
    Yep. 

Status- Standing by.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    SGH said:
    You don’t see many of those old gallery guns floating around anymore. Especially the “shorts” only models. I have a very old Winchester 62 smooth bore 22 “Garden Gun” that was my grandfathers. You don’t see many of those either. Years ago, everyone that lived in the woods had one. 
    There's a bunch on Gunbroker, but it's just a matter of finding a nice one that isn't way overpriced.  My buddy that keeps moving has all his guns in my safe, so I just shot his for years until I found a good one for me.  I guess I could have just bought a crappy one and swapped it......since he hasn't seen his guns in 4-5 yrs.  Hahahaha
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    SGH said:
    1911Man said:

Which range is that? 
    New Orleans LA