Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking and how are you preparing for the National Emergency?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,532
    Options
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    Actually if I remember correctly, the UK is the second leading seller of military arms after the US. Including to the US. Many of our major weapons systems like the F 35 and the AIM 9X sidewinder have British manufactured or designed components.
    I got to go on a few TDYs to the Marconi plant in Chatham/Gillingham for some Head's-Up Displays (HUDs) for our LANTIRN system (then to be used on the F-16 and A-10).  Very enjoyable trips, and I'm ready to return to Britain any time!  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The evidence points to unscrupulous, greedy drug companies paying and pushing doctors to over-prescribe synthetic opioids as the reason we have the outbreak here.  Companies like Purdue Pharma.

You're always going to have a baseline of junkies that started drinking mom and dad's schnaps when they were 12 yo. 
    edited February 2019
    Options
    The evidence points to unscrupulous, greedy drug companies paying and pushing doctors to over-prescribe synthetic opioids as the reason we have the outbreak here.  Companies like Purdue Pharma.

You're always going to have a baseline of junkies that started drinking mom and dad's schnaps when they were 12 yo. 
    The amount of damage they've caused is immeasurable with little to no accountability. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HogFather
    Options
    That’s why I self medicate! Fatties for all
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    Options
    A shame that this thread is headed south before any of the National Emergency wall is built.  No worries as I'm sure there will be another White House created crisis soon. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    Just saw this coming out of mothballs !!!!

I'm surprised you can't do all of that given the budget deficit you run. Looking it up, $2,382 per person. In the UK we have a deficit per person of $720. With that deficit, we have free health care. Free sex too. Not free weed and college fees are $12,000 per year with an interest rate of 6%. Minimum wage for an over 25 is $10.70, so we can't match Bernie on that one either.
    What's the healthcare like in the UK out of curiosity? I mean in terms of cost of medicine, cost of care and quick access to care. Feel free to PM me rather than take up space on here.
    Briefly, it's free at the point of delivery, so paid for by taxation. We do pay for drugs prescribed by the doctor, but at a fixed cost per item or a maximum of around $150 a year if you get an annual card. Dentistry is paid for, but basic stuff is covered by a fixed national price scale. In both cases, low income groups and children don't pay.

Quick access can be an issue for non urgent stuff, so there are waiting lists. In some areas, access to a GP can mean a wait. Urgent stuff - strokes, heart attacks, cancer injuries are dealt with efficiently. Some very expensive treatments can be unauthorised. Anyone who wants to can pay private / get private insurance if they want to skip the queue.

Even stuff like IVF is available free for a number of attempts.

Our system is under pressure with the same issues you probably have - diabetes due to obesity, dementia and other diseases of the elderly and a heavy demand for A&E services (your ER). We seemed to have skipped the opioid epedemic, although it is slowly building up. Doctors here seem much more careful about what they prescribe.
    the opiods will get there as soon as the mexican cartels finish the tunnel,  its a looong tunnel ;)
    Tunnel? But...but...walls stop tunnels right? Sh!t
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,532
    Options
    The evidence points to unscrupulous, greedy drug companies paying and pushing doctors to over-prescribe synthetic opioids as the reason we have the outbreak here.    
    Have you seen some of the recent CBS reporting on the Sackler family?  My gawd....

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Botch said:
    The evidence points to unscrupulous, greedy drug companies paying and pushing doctors to over-prescribe synthetic opioids as the reason we have the outbreak here.    
    Have you seen some of the recent CBS reporting on the Sackler family?  My gawd....
    No but I watched "The Devil We Know" on Netflix. Terrifying.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    Yeah but we sent $150Billion with a "B" to Iran in the BS Iran deal that Obama  and Kerry (Three time bogus purple heart award winner) "negotiated".  That's 30x more than what Trump needs for his wall. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,368
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Yeah but we sent $150Billion with a "B" to Iran in the BS Iran deal that Obama  and Kerry (Three time bogus purple heart award winner) "negotiated".  That's 30x more than what Trump needs for his wall. 
    I know you've been told this before and maybe one day it will sink in - that "$150B" (a made up number much higher than the actual amount) was Iran's money to begin with it wasn't US taxpayer money.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    thetrim said:
    I know you've been told this before and maybe one day it will sink in - that "$150B" (a made up number much higher than the actual amount) was Iran's money to begin with it wasn't US taxpayer money.
    Well yeah, but Mexico is gonna pay for the wall.   =)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    hope the intent of this thread was to solidify the republican base, cause me thinks its working =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,366
    Options
    A Pinterest Fail that is perfect for this thread.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    very wanky
    Options
    hope the intent of this thread was to solidify the republican base, cause me thinks its working =)
    how so?