Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In a hole in the ground, there lived a Brisket.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,985
    ^^^ Huh, didn't know they grew in North America (other than the enclosed arboretum at Iowa State University).  
    I learned something tonight.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Botch said:
    ^^^ Huh, didn't know they grew in North America (other than the enclosed arboretum at Iowa State University).  
    Check this out my friend. 

https://articles.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-living/2014/08/southern_gardening_versatile_b.amp

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have a couple of banana tree's in my backyard every spring/summer.  I have to dig them up and bring them in for the winter.  But love having my pseudo palm trees in the backyard for the rest of the year.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    They are ubiquitous here in South Louisiana.   They will take over your yard if you don't have some kind of containment like concrete or bricks.  To dig them up is a chore.  I had a forest of them in the back yard...got rid of them by pouring the slab my shop sits on over them after digging as much out as I could.

Scottie, I'll hook you up next time you want to cook kalua style.
    we have them all over here in Austin as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    Scottie, I'll hook you up next time you want to cook kalua style.
    Thank you. And with the above said, I may get a pile of them from you at New Years. Going to do a couple of sucklings underground to ring in the new year.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch said:
    These do not produce fruit- that may be where you are coming from. We have tons of banana trees but no bananas.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,985
    Botch said:
    These do not produce fruit- that may be where you are coming from. We have tons of banana trees but no bananas.
    Okay, now maybe I'm believing you guys.  I've travelled to the south constantly over the last 35 years, and ain't never seen any bananas on a tree.  

• SGH said:
    Botch said:
    @SGH, you can get banana leaves in Mississippi?  
    You have to order them. There is no where in driving distance that I know of that stocks them. But yes, I can and do order them.  
    They are about 8 houses over from me. They grow fine for most of a year here. Problem is they have to be 18 months old to make banannas.
  • nolaegghead
    We get bananas en mass here.   Like gulfcoast said, older plants.  Usually they are red bananas or plantains.  They are hard to give away.
    We have lots of banana trees here in Tampa (with bananas on them).  I'd be happy to drive some leaves over during a brisket camp or butt blast.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch said:
    Botch said:
    Okay, now maybe I'm believing you guys.  I've travelled to the south constantly over the last 35 years, and ain't never seen any bananas on a tree.  
    Lived here almost all my life and have never seen fruit on banana trees here either.
  • SGH
    Lived here almost all my life and have never seen fruit on banana trees here either.
    I concur. Not saying that there is none, but like yourself I have seen several folks with the trees, but alas, no fruit. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Jackson Square
    We get bananas en mass here.   Like gulfcoast said, older plants.  Usually they are red bananas or plantains.  They are hard to give away.
    I guess we northerners would call them "air zucchini"...   =)

And I'm intrigued about "red" bananas; no idea what they are/look like/taste like.  

• nolaegghead
    they look red
    hahahah
    Scottie -

A few quick thoughts:
    • Excellent grandparenting re: “Can we?” “Hell yes we can”
    • As others have noted, that is, indeed, a very fine looking hole you dug.  We should all be so lucky as to be buried in holes so well crafted. 
    • I’d love to try out that goat stew
    • Speaking of noggins, that fine hole is juuuust peeerfect for traditional barbacoa (a prior, above ground effort here - https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208910/idle-hands/p1)
    Merry Christmas.  I hope the brisket turns out great. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Any local mercado (latino grocery store) should have banana leaves.  They are a staple for many dishes!

Looking forward to the results!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Nicely done Scottie. You need to award yourself the Double Seal of Approval!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • I'm impressed with the symmetry of the hole. Good job. Like NOLA, we'd hit water here with a hole that deep. Steamed brisket.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Botch said:
    Botch said:

If you if you let them grow and don’t cut them back every year they should naner. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Nice cook @SGH best grandpa ever!  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Jackson Square
    My wife love the banana pod...pays big bucks at the orientle market foe those.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • SGH
    Thank you all for the kind words and compliments. 
    On a separate note, several of y’all pointed out and/or PM’d about how “square” or “true” the hole was. I had no idea that the square hole would raise such interest. With that said, I’m going to post a thread showing step by step how to dig a “square” hole. I can’t do it until next week due to rain moving in tonight and is suppose to hang around for the next 3-4 days. When you see just how simple it is to square a hole, you will shake your head any say; “I can’t believe I didn’t think of that”. It’s really that simple. 
    Again, thank you all and I hope you had a great Tru..... Err, Christmas my friends. 

Status- Standing by.

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Would love to get in on some of that goat head soup! That looks great!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    You never will see that since, technically, bananas don't grow on trees. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,442
    Standing by for the finale-
    Merry Christmas-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Botch said:
    You never will see that since, technically, bananas don't grow on trees. :)
    True, they are technically herbs.