Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Alabama White Sauce -- Good Recipes or Brands?

Options
I have never been one to douse my chicken wings and pork in mayo, but I had some as my only option a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to use it as an alternative to traditional BBQ.

However, I can't find a grocery store brand that's good and the two batches I have made so far are just marginal.

Anyone got an option they're willing to share? I'm getting very tired of eating dry rub and buffalo wings. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• anewtoi
    Options
    Big bob Gibson’s is the best I’ve had. I think they were the first to market it. Ahh the childhood memories going to “Gibson’s”
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit - sent a PM.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I use the recipe on the side of Duke's mayo.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @dharley will you send me a pic of that? I just looked and mine only has an advertisement for other products.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• epcotisbest
    Options
    @dharley will you send me a pic of that? I just looked and mine only has an advertisement for other products.
    While I am not who you asked, I did find this. Hope it helps.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/recipe/lollys-alabama-white-bbq-sauce/

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options

LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Try some greek seasoned wings with tzatziki 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Have you tried the original, Chris Lilly's recipe from Big Bobs? It's pretty stout on the vinegar/acid. I really don't like the stuff as a condiment - way too tart - but it works ok as a dip for whole chickens during a long smoke. I wouldn't want my wings doused in it though.

If I was going for a mayo base I'd probably try Cornell. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    edited September 2018
    Options
    anewtoi said:
    Big bob Gibson’s is the best I’ve had. I think they were the first to market it. Ahh the childhood memories going to “Gibson’s”

I've heard it was way, way better back in the day. The food there today is pretty mediocre across the board... been riding on reputation way too long now it seems.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    LANES SORTA WHITE SAUCE - I just posted pic of my Alabama White Sauce chicken an hour ago using this stuff -purdy decent
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SonVolt
    edited September 2018
    Options
    NDG said:
    LANES SORTA WHITE SAUCE - I just posted pic of my Alabama White Sauce chicken an hour ago using this stuff -purdy decent

Ingredients: MAYONNAISE, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE, HORSERADISH, SUGAR, SALT, PEPPER, ANCHO PEPPER, CAYENNE PEPPER.

Just saved you $10 bucks  =)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here's Big Bob Gibson's recipe as told by Chris Lilly (courtesy of @Florida Grillin Girl) ...

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1365295&catid=1

Actually, the recipe is a few replies down from that, but you can see Faith's pics. Here, so you don't have to look...

White BBQ Sauce, Alabama Style 

1 cup mayo 
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice 
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 
    1/2 cup water ( I used 1/4 cup) 
    1 Tbsp. sugar 
    1 Tbsp. salt 
    1 1/2 tsp. black pepper 
    1 tsp. prepared horseradish 
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper 

I originally thought Faith's sauce looked a bit thin from what I recalled seeing before. Then I saw this Lilly video. Spot on!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Here's Big Bob Gibson's recipe as told by Chris Lilly (courtesy of @Florida Grillin Girl) ...

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1365295&catid=1

Actually, the recipe is a few replies down from that, but you can see Faith's pics. Here, so you don't have to look...

White BBQ Sauce, Alabama Style 

1 cup mayo 
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice 
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 
    1/2 cup water ( I used 1/4 cup) 
    1 Tbsp. sugar 
    1 Tbsp. salt 
    1 1/2 tsp. black pepper 
    1 tsp. prepared horseradish 
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper 

I originally thought Faith's sauce looked a bit thin from what I recalled seeing before. Then I saw this Lilly video. Spot on!

Faith's right - the stuff served in the restaurant is pretty thin. It's definitely mayo flavored vinegar and not vice versa. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    NDG said:

Ingredients: MAYONNAISE, APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, LEMON JUICE, HORSERADISH, SUGAR, SALT, PEPPER, ANCHO PEPPER, CAYENNE PEPPER.

Just saved you $10 bucks  =)
    Valid Point, I have made it before, but wanted to give this a try bc Lanes has good stuff. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Gonna try to make some white sauce this weekend also. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    hey oh!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There are so many variations around Alabama now from thick mayo versions to the original thin vinegar ones, its nice to be able to mix it up some at local BBQ joints who have different variations.  I have been making the following simple version for a few years now, we love it on any well seasoned chicken.  Its a thin vinegar version like Big Bobs.  Especially good on a BBQ potato.

2 Cups Mayo
    1-1/2 Tablespoons Salt
    2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
    1/3 Cup White Vinegar
    1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
    4 Tablespoons White Sugar

I grew up in Decatur, AL - Big Bobs in general is OK, for sure worth eating just never been blown away by their food...
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    I'll have to try making some, I always forget about white sauce! You can buy big bob's at walmart or online and I've heard good things about Lane's sorta white sauce but cannot confirm personally. If you are ever in Destin, Boschamps (seafood restaurant) has a really good white sauce to go with their bbq sliders.
    LBGE
    AL
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    I’m a fan of this one. It’s Pat Martin’s recipe from Martin’s BBQ. I had it at the restaurant in Nolensville and then found it in Garden and Gun. The recipe stacks up pretty well. I make it about once a year. 

4C mayo
    2 1/2 C Cider Vinegar
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire 
    1 Tsp Minced garloc
    2 tbsp kosher salt (heaping)
    2 tbsp black pepper (heaping)
    1 1/2 tsp Cayenne

Add mayo and cider vinegar first, then add spices and mix well. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    IMO the horseradish is the key ingredient to go from ehhhhh to aaaaaaah!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Not sure if it’s even the same thing, but the Thunderbird sauce is really good. It’s really think, so I cut it w equal parts apple cider or red wine depending on what I have.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Opossum54 said:
    There are so many variations around Alabama now from thick mayo versions to the original thin vinegar ones, its nice to be able to mix it up some at local BBQ joints who have different variations.  I have been making the following simple version for a few years now, we love it on any well seasoned chicken.  Its a thin vinegar version like Big Bobs.  Especially good on a BBQ potato.

2 Cups Mayo
    1-1/2 Tablespoons Salt
    1/3 Cup White Vinegar
    1/3 Cup Lemon Juice

I grew up in Decatur, AL - Big Bobs in general is OK, for sure worth eating just never been blown away by their food...
    I just made a batch. I’m sure I’ll be eating some yardbird over the next few days. What’s the shelf life on that stuff? 
  • rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    Options
    Full Moon BBQ's white sauce is really good
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Never had White Sauce but seems quit similar to a good Cole Slaw Dressing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Opossum54 said:

2 Cups Mayo
    1-1/2 Tablespoons Salt
    1/3 Cup White Vinegar
    1/3 Cup Lemon Juice

I just made a batch. I’m sure I’ll be eating some yardbird over the next few days. What’s the shelf life on that stuff? 
    Refrigerated....weeks.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    How do you use the sauce? Dipping? Glaze towards the end of the cook? Brush it on earlier?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    How do you use the sauce? Dipping? Glaze towards the end of the cook? Brush it on earlier?
    Traditionally it is a dunking and dipping sauce. Whole chicken parts are dunked in the sauce as they come off the pit and more on the table for dipping. I haven't tried it, but for some reason I dont think it would be good applied on the pit and cooked/set longer. I suspect it might break apart and the texture would be unappealing.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification @SmokeyPitt. I might like the thinner vinegary version, so I’ll give it a whirl sometime. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.