Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My hose has not leaked in recent memory.  Dunno if I'm lucky or just good genes.
    edited July 2020
    Options
    My hose has a split stream. I can hit the urinal puck and knock a fly off the wall at the same time. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My hose has not leaked in recent memory.  Dunno if I'm lucky or just good genes.
    Maybe its your short term memory? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,980
    edited July 2020
    Options
    third oil sending unit today for the work truck. first didnt fit, second doesnt work, driving over to ford for the third
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Lit said:
    I seem to remember you're an imbecile perfectly fine, but it's pretty hard to forget given you're reminding us constantly. 

Options
    Lit said:
    I seem to remember you're an imbecile perfectly fine, but it's pretty hard to forget given you're reminding us constantly. 

Eh imbecile isnt so bad
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,658
    Options
    I've been enjoying the posts in @Mattman's  thread "Knife Sharpening?", and also been watching videos on how to sharpen kitchen knives on a stone, something I'm perfectly comfortable doing to chisels and plane blades, but a bit leery about doing it to my Henckel's.  

Ewetube recommended a video wherein a guy bought three Gyuto knives, all inexpensive ($45, $50, and $75) and compared them; all three were nicely made and super-sharp.  He preferred the $50 model, and The Man in the Brown Shorts™ just brought me mine today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YPY9Q6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All three had Japanese steel, rosewood handles, and were made in China.  It has what looks like the "Damascus" pattern/construction, but it looks like those dimples are forged into the steel.  No matter, it was less than $50.  It felt great in my hand, it's built extremely well, was packed extremely well (at least three layers of materials, plus tiny nylon tabs protecting the tip and the point of the heel.  

And lookie:

I could never shave off a slice of tomato, paper-thin, without holding the tomato before, certainly not with my Henckel's!  We'll see how long the edge lasts, and when it gets dull I've got an inexpensive knife to practice sharpening on my 8,000-grit Japanese waterstone.  

It's funny, there seems to be as many sharpening techniques for Gyuto knives as there are videos.  Some stroke the full length of the blade on each stroke, some work just a couple inches at a time, some apply pressure on the pull stroke, some on the push stroke, and a couple on both.  Even the old Japanese sushi experts all have different techniques.  If I ever get to where I can sharpen this thing, and it's still able to cut a tomato like that, I may be trying it on my Henckel's; we'll see.  

When people talk about traveling to the past, they worry about radically changing the present by doing something small, but barely anyone in the present really thinks that they can radically change the future by doing something small. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I just got my new KAN chef’s knife delivered today after watching one of Kenji’s new videos. It’s the first “nice” chef’s knife I owned. Up until today it’s been Victorinox and a cheap Henkle from TJ Max. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've been enjoying the posts in @Mattman's  thread "Knife Sharpening?", and also been watching videos on how to sharpen kitchen knives on a stone, something I'm perfectly comfortable doing to chisels and plane blades, but a bit leery about doing it to my Henckel's.  

Ewetube recommended a video wherein a guy bought three Gyuto knives, all inexpensive ($45, $50, and $75) and compared them; all three were nicely made and super-sharp.  He preferred the $50 model, and The Man in the Brown Shorts™ just brought me mine today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YPY9Q6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All three had Japanese steel, rosewood handles, and were made in China.  It has what looks like the "Damascus" pattern/construction, but it looks like those dimples are forged into the steel.  No matter, it was less than $50.  It felt great in my hand, it's built extremely well, was packed extremely well (at least three layers of materials, plus tiny nylon tabs protecting the tip and the point of the heel.  

And lookie:

I could never shave off a slice of tomato, paper-thin, without holding the tomato before, certainly not with my Henckel's!  We'll see how long the edge lasts, and when it gets dull I've got an inexpensive knife to practice sharpening on my 8,000-grit Japanese waterstone.  

It's funny, there seems to be as many sharpening techniques for Gyuto knives as there are videos.  Some stroke the full length of the blade on each stroke, some work just a couple inches at a time, some apply pressure on the pull stroke, some on the push stroke, and a couple on both.  Even the old Japanese sushi experts all have different techniques.  If I ever get to where I can sharpen this thing, and it's still able to cut a tomato like that, I may be trying it on my Henckel's; we'll see.  
    That is not a Damascus blade. They claim it is a "clad" steel (san mai) which implies it is a "steel taco" - one steel (the cutting edge) is forged in a wrapper of a different steel. The dimpling supposedly aids in releasing some foods and the dark finish (kuroichi) is purely aesthetic (and will eventually wear off).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,421
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Nice.  I wish I had the Max cab.  I just hit 1 year with my truck and almost 20k miles.  They are the nicest vehicle for the highway.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,746
    Options
    Thanks. It’s  is used but low miles and in really nice condition. We are camping this weekend and the kids really liked the extra room in the back while traveling.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,902
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Glock 45 & a Glock 33 round mag. Should make a very good bedroom gun. If something goes bump in the night no looking for extra mag or flashlight. 

I had a G17 for a few years and my grip included my left hand under the mag.  Only ever used the standard mag'.   Have you had to adjust your grip and aiming technique? 
    I reckon that emptying all that mag, at night with no ear-protection might take little while to recover from  =)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    edited July 2020
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Mickey said:
    Glock 45 & a Glock 33 round mag. Should make a very good bedroom gun. If something goes bump in the night no looking for extra mag or flashlight. 

I had a G17 for a few years and my grip included my left hand under the mag.  Only ever used the standard mag'.   Have you had to adjust your grip and aiming technique? 
    I reckon that emptying all that mag, at night with no ear-protection might take little while to recover from  =)
    Yep. But I’m betting the guy coming in my house would be DEAD. And no grip problems. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,421
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Mickey said:

The modern recommended tactical grip no longer has your hand under the butt like a revolver.  Hand is on side maximizing contact with the offhand palm to maximize stability.  I recently switched, it was weird at first, but my follow-up shots are much more accurate now.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Mickey said:

The modern recommended tactical grip no longer has your hand under the butt like a revolver.  Hand is on side maximizing contact with the offhand palm to maximize stability.  I recently switched, it was weird at first, but my follow-up shots are much more accurate now.

Also...you need to put the weapon on a horizontal plane and yell "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!" when firing it.  Additionally, empty the magazine as quickly as you can.  Don't forget to wipe the powder off your face when you're done, it's so unbecoming.
    Options
    @Dobie- that is a great price for the single barrel and also for their standard bottles.  I will say I paid much more for a BT single barrel a mere 58 miles from the distillery.  Better to be lucky than good!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,866
    Options
    While on on bourbon, just ordered a couple of these for the campaign:

Best choice on the ballot!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,554
    Options
    Eoin said:
    One for @SGH

Them Feather’s scalp me! 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Eoin said:
    One for @SGH

Them Feather’s scalp me! 
    They are sharp.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,421
    Options
    Triple layer cotton washable face masks. I might not be able to get by much longer with a gaiter. Made in the USA unlike the gaiter. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,120
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Aside from the egg he also picked up a Blackstone this morning because he liked mine so much. He jokingly blamed me for the trouble he was about to get in with his wife.   
    Every 4th of July we meet up with family friends. I usually bring my BGE with. My one friend who we usually see once or twice a year is into cooking/grilling. He was interested in learning about the BGE anytime I lit it up. I received a text a year or so later from my friend saying he bought a XL Kamado Joe. The next 4th of July I brought up my Blackstone griddle. He ended buying one last week. I received this text:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,866
    Options
    @WeberWho time to roll in with the big guns blazing and the stick burners.  He!! with your skill-set you can flip one and be home free.   =)
    Strike while the iron is hot.  Great post.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,120
    edited July 2020
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho time to roll in with the big guns blazing and the stick burners.  He!! with your skill-set you can flip one and be home free.   =)
    Strike while the iron is hot.  Great post.  
    That would be fun to see him playing around with a stick burner. He has a labor intensive job at the oil refinery. I know for years and years he'd have to suit up in heat retardant suits and climb ladders in extreme temperatures throughout the plant. No easy job. He puts in many, many hours a week at the plant. 

Family comes first with him. Followed by fishing, rum, cigars, and grilling. Something where he can relax and enjoy a little downtime. The Kamado was a perfect match with his wife and four kids. Three of the four kids have now graduated from high school or college. He has one more who's a freshman in high school. So time will eventually be on his side. Where he might be able to throw on a stick every 30 minutes or so. I just need to get a stick burner out his way in Wisconsin. Give me a little time. I'll work on it! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    goddamit

Options
    Rick Marazzanis tweet - All in all youre just another BRICK in