Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious Barbecue, Adam Perry Lang, Whole Beef Tenderloin With Worcestershire Sauce

Options
2»

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Hey, my tenderloin is kind of frozen sitting uncovered on a wire rack in the coldest spot of my fridge. Any cause for concern or change in plans?
    When did you move it from the freezer to the fridge?
    It was never in the freezer. Butcher->fridge. It's just that my side-by-side fridge side is really cold at the top rear and the meat has gone firmer.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Oh my.  Great execution of a great game plan.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmourati said:
    dmourati said:
    Hey, my tenderloin is kind of frozen sitting uncovered on a wire rack in the coldest spot of my fridge. Any cause for concern or change in plans?
    It was never in the freezer. Butcher->fridge. It's just that my side-by-side fridge side is really cold at the top rear and the meat has gone firmer.
    Gotcha.  I would not worry about this at all.  Just plan on the roast part of the cook taking longer than the recipe calls for.  Incidentally, I find that it often does anyway.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    dmourati said:
    dmourati said:
    Gotcha.  I would not worry about this at all.  Just plan on the roast part of the cook taking longer than the recipe calls for.  Incidentally, I find that it often does anyway.
    Agree, esp on timing. Mine took much longer than APL suggested. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Oh my gawd!!! That looks killer! Merry Christmas.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That is a winner there... beautiful cook an pics...  Merry Christmas!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Great work!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Cooked just right.   Looks awesome.  
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    Awesome cook. I have that book but haven't tried this yet.
    For what it’s worth, this is actually one of the simpler recipes in the book.  But I’ve tried many of them, and they’re all really pretty good.  You can pick and choose how much or how little of each recipe to use and still put out some killer cooks.
    ... agree, my favourite take away from this book is the bbq sauce with grated apple.

canuckland
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I made this for the second Christmas in a row.

I had trouble keeping the pit temps down below 275 because of the wind.  I took the meat up to 120 and then rested before a reverse sear. Usually a good sear will raise the internal temp about 15 degrees, but they actually went down yesterday (very cold day and was searing with the dome up). Finally finished at about 125 to 130 degrees (closer to rare that I prefer).

I still had complements all around the table. Just one small part of a great Christmas!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Awesome cook. I have that book but haven't tried this yet.
    For what it’s worth, this is actually one of the simpler recipes in the book.  But I’ve tried many of them, and they’re all really pretty good.  You can pick and choose how much or how little of each recipe to use and still put out some killer cooks.
    ... agree, my favourite take away from this book is the bbq sauce with grated apple.

I really like that sauce too, I try and make it 3 or 4 times a year and keep a bottle in the fridge, but it goes fast in my house.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Here are a few things I learned about this cook my first time through that may help you.

1. The recipe calls for a forward sear which I followed. I went 600F dome and rolled the tenderloin about one minute per side. You can see above the awesome crust with the slightest sliver of a gray band between the crust and the center. Other techniques may remove or reduce that band. I was fine with it.

2. If you have a Smoke or similar leave in thermometer that has an "L-shaped" or right angle probe, insert the probe in the butt end dead center. This way, you can monitor the temp of the thickest part, furthest from the fire. You can also easily rotate the tenderloin without having to reposition the probe. This was the main thing I learned that I wanted to convey. It may be obvious to some of you but it really helped me out.

3. If you also have an instant read thermometer like the Thermapen, you can try taking temps all along the cut. I used the butchers twine to designate about five different sections of the tenderloin. The cooking formed an obvious temperature gradient ranging from medium down to almost rare. If I had guests who wanted more towards medium (I didn't), I knew the tail end of the tenderloin was more cooked to their preference. In my opinion, the butt end is where I'd start serving. I ate the very edge at the butcher block as a quality control measure. It was awesome.

4. Try to time the use of the glaze and the apple spray to go through most of the cook. I never walked away from the egg once I put the tenderloin on. Have plenty of refreshments waiting but pace yourself on those as well as the basting/spritzing. Get a rhythm going and stick to it.

5. With a forward sear technique, you'll need to either cool down the egg or use more than one cooker. I have just the egg so I had to work the temperature down from 600 for the sear to 250 which was where I wanted to cook. This took a while, perhaps 30 minutes or more. Factor this grid cooldown time into your overall cook schedule. Frequently open the top of the egg to let the hot air escape.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That looks very good.  Thanks for the info.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx