Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pizza Oven

Options
Wanting to do more Neapolitan style pies,  been looking for a wood fired oven,
came across this, https://www.backyardbrickovens.com.
Since I live close by can save on shipping.  Anyone have any insight on this style oven?
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Forno Bravo is the gold standard. @SciAggie can chime in. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks great.
    What kind of price are you getting buying local?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @Photo Egg, For local pick up its $1199 in Edison.  More than roccbox, but concerned that is to small
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    kdink said:
    @Photo Egg, For local pick up its $1199 in Edison.  More than roccbox, but concerned that is to small
    Thanks, If i could get that price I would be using it for heating at night...because I would be living on my back deck...But I would buy it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kdink
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    kdink said:
    Thanks, If i could get that price I would be using it for heating at night...because I would be living on my back deck...But I would buy it.
    Been saving that cash back for just an occasion, so I am thinking (praying) it will keep out of the chateau bow wow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    If pizza is your only interest you have many options. If you want to wander over into other kinds of baking then the conversation changes. I know nothing about the ovens in the link above - they may be great. 
    I will tell you briefly what my thought process was...
    Making pizzas is probably less than 10% of what I use my oven for. I cook a ton of other things at multiple temperature ranges. If your oven has good thermal mass, you can cook pizzas on Friday night, then bake bread on Saturday morning, cook anything you want in the afternoon that needs a 375 - 300 degree oven, then cook the next day at 200-250 degrees. This is all from Friday's firing. If that's what you want then you will need an oven that is thick and heavy with a lot of insulation.
    I guess what I'm saying is carefully consider what you want to cook before dropping a lot of $$. An oven just for pizza is easier - you need high temps but you get that from the live fire. Once you are done cooking pizzas you may not care how much heat is retained - so insulation and thermal mass aren't a factor.
    And for the record - I love my wood oven and have zero regrets about building it. I'm no expert but I'll gladly tell you anything else that might help you make a decision.
    For the record, I love your wood oven too, @SciAggie!!! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ttony604
    Options
    Highly recommend Pizza Party Oven, wood or gas option
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    ttony604 said:
    Highly recommend Pizza Party Oven, wood or gas option
    That is exactly what I have been looking at.  Do you have one?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    looks like a sweet oven
    Yes, love the Pizza Party Oven.  Have done ok / good pizza in the Egg but can’t for neopolitan 60sec. pizza bake at 900F.  Have a family of 5 so I just pound out 8 pizzas every Sunday. Upgrade to the Saputo bricks, dealing the company for support is top notch.  $2500 or so for the larger 150lb version Passione but not necessary. Most normal pizza makers bake one at a time.  The oven is well balanced for hi temp cooking with the upgraded bricks. You’ll need 00 flour for neopolitan pizzas. Get the Pizza book front ken artisan and check out pizzamaking forum, learned a lot there. Gas vs wood apparently tastes the same good to have gas to learn first, one less challenge.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    ROCCBOX

Efficient, well built, portable and effective
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I haven't seen much love for the blackstone pizza oven since the roccbox came out. Has it officially been eclipsed?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Coldspring
    Options
    SciAggie:

"Central Texas" covers a fairly large piece of real estate, could you narrow it down a little. I live outside of Fairfield.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie:

"Central Texas" covers a fairly large piece of real estate, could you narrow it down a little. I live outside of Fairfield.
    Coleman. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've got my fingers crossed for roccbox to offer a larger version.

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I haven't seen much love for the blackstone pizza oven since the roccbox came out. Has it officially been eclipsed?
    No.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    Options
    blasting said:

I've got my fingers crossed for roccbox to offer a larger version.

Think of it as portion control...
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    It’s twice the cost, so I don’t think the BS is going to be eclipsed anytime soon.  But I have zero regrets about my purchase.  It’s extremely well built.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I like how folks are digging the wood ovens...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @kdink - that is an awesome addition to the line up!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Thats on my need list now. How much are them things? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kdink said:
    If you want to do more than 1 pie at a time, the Roccbox is too small. It’s a kick ass single pie machine though 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    Options
    kdink said:
    Ordered Roccbox, was backordered delayed a month so I went and got this.
    Forno Bello,  Today was first cook.  Heated up in less than 45 minutes
    Nice lookin' pies.
    That's a deal at $1600, you did great man.
    Looks solid.
    https://youtu.be/hRj1oxTH1EM
    Damn, I want one. 
    I'm good with my BS.  
    I'm good with my BS. Lol

Is the dome brick?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie:

Outside of Fairfield is out there. :). We have a spot on lake limestone. Family has been there since the 1800’s. We should get together at the VFW in Mexia soon! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • kdink
    Options
    @focker The dome is not brick
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I noticed this at Sam's this weekend for $500:
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pizza-oven-black/prod21390049.ip

The one I saw in the store was their "Members Mark" brand but it looked identical to this one and I suspect it is the same manufacturer. 

Probably a "get what you pay for" situation, but just thought I would pass it along for anyone who may be interested. I was somewhat tempted until I looked out and saw I have no room on my patio. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• westernbbq
    Options
    Nice looking zas,   

I have roccbox and i got it from williams sonoma...using a gift card for most of the purchase.

That forno looks like a great addition to your collection.   But roccbox portability is tough to match and uuni still hasnt resolved their atrocious communication issues so gas burner availability is only known through deciphering a series of cryptic clues....

I wanted a gas burner pixza oven that was portable so thas why i got roccbox.  I did look at forno though amd maybe after momma gets the kitchen she wants...,