Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Slushies

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Question on this. Kroger didn't have frozen lemonade concentrate. Can I use 12oz of fresh lemonade with the same results or will
    it be too diluted?
    Danger, math ahead:

The 12 oz concentrate makes 48 fl oz of lemonade.  So, substitute 12 oz of concentrate and 4.5 cups of water with 48 fl oz of pre-mixed lemonade.

In other words add 48 oz lemonade, and 2.5 cups of water instead of 12 oz concentrate and 7 cups of water.
    I concur.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Danger, math ahead:

The 12 oz concentrate makes 48 fl oz of lemonade.  So, substitute 12 oz of concentrate and 4.5 cups of water with 48 fl oz of pre-mixed lemonade.

In other words add 48 oz lemonade, and 2.5 cups of water instead of 12 oz concentrate and 7 cups of water.

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RagingIrishman
    Options
    This has become a summer standard for many family events and a cool down cocktail after cutting grass, etc.  I’ve passed this recipe to many others to share the enjoyment it has given me through the years. Thanks Ron!
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This has become a summer standard for many family events and a cool down cocktail after cutting grass, etc.  I’ve passed this recipe to many others to share the enjoyment it has given me through the years. Thanks Ron!
    I will pass it on to My Beautiful Wife, she is the hero, I am just the partner on this team. Life is good!

thank you!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Me, tonight, hitting the "Jameson Orange" slushies:

https://youtu.be/qm8K5Pt-fc4
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    Bump.  Almost Friday.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,669
    Options
    I going to take a run a these for a post graduation party. hopefully they are not as strong as my margaritas.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I going to take a run a these for a post graduation party. hopefully they are not as strong as my margaritas.
    The first time I had them, @YukonRon poured them into a large Yeti cup I had - one of those 20oz ones.  I drank about half of it just sitting down in a lawn chair - it was a nice day.  When I went to go stand up I realized my mistake.  

If they’re weaker than your margaritas I want to know who’s drinking your margaritas and shake their hand.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,669
    Options
    The first time I had them, @YukonRon poured them into a large Yeti cup I had - one of those 20oz ones.  I drank about half of it just sitting down in a lawn chair - it was a nice day.  When I went to go stand up I realized my mistake.  

If they’re weaker than your margaritas I want to know who’s drinking your margaritas and shake their hand.

ohh boy.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    I try to make these at least several times a year on the beach......Good stuff! Have a picture on my phone of the recipe if I forget anything....Cheers!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Made these many times, always a crowd pleaser!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Do y'all use standard 80 proof, or because of all the extra mixer liquid, use something stronger like a 100 proof bonded?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Langner91
    Options
    I have used Wild Turkey 101.  Nice kick.  I have also used Evan Williams 80 proof.  There's enough going on, flavor wise, that it doesn't really matter what you use.  You come for the slushie part, you stay for the bourbon.

My current favorite is to use Jameson Orange.  Not bourbon, but nice.  Very nice.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    I've only ever used Evan Williams 80 proof. It gets the job done at a great price point.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I use whatever I have lying around.  Sometimes even mix a bunch of leftovers. Blantons, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Pappy,  Templetons, EH Taylor, Weller Special Reserve, Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Joseph Magnus, etc.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    There are so many good bourbon slushy stories, but one of my favorites is when @YukonRon pulled up to an Eggfest with a cooler full of bags and bags of frozen slushy mix.   Of course, this was an Eggfest where bringing in outside alcohol was prohibited, and when Ron was asked to explain what was in the bags he simply said "marinade" for the protein they were cooking.  So they let him in.

I'll get the details wrong but I believe they did serve up a bit of slushy mix in cups along with whatever protein they smoked, and handed it out to the masses.  So technically it was a marinade that was applied on the back end, in the bellies of many tasters.   I think they may have won one of the people's choice awards or something with this approach.  So much winning...
    Marinade...for my liver.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac first time? They'll catch up to you quick!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Yup, first time.  Switched to water and donuts. Need to make sure I can finish the pork.
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Yup, first time.  Switched to water and donuts. Need to make sure I can finish the pork.
    You sir, are living the dream. Enjoy!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Your new boss is taking notes....

:tongue:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    Your new boss is taking notes....

:tongue:
    She was hanging with me!  Unless it was a test?  Hmm.  Hopefully Tuesday doesn't see me hauled into HR.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Day two .... Flaw in the slaw.  Left the bourbon slushie in deep freeze for 48hrs.  It has frozen much more than yesterday.  Add it to an insulated cup and I drink it faster than it melts.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Identified the perfect Bourbon Slushie cup.  Drink/melt ratio is perfect.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    One time… at Butt Blast… caliqueen refused to discard the half Yeti cup of (melted) bourbon slushy the next morning. Added some ice, and sipped on it all the way to Charlotte (I was driving). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2023
    Options
    caliking said:
    One time… at Butt Blast… caliqueen refused to discard the half Yeti cup of (melted) bourbon slushy the next morning. Added some ice, and sipped on it all the way to Charlotte (I was driving). 
    You’re lucky you didn’t get stopped by a NC State Trooper… because they would’ve insisted on trying some for themselves.
  • Langner91
    Options
    These little ziplock freezie bags are perfect.  If the slush freezes too solid, you simply put one under each arm for about 2 minutes.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    These little ziplock freezie bags are perfect.  If the slush freezes too solid, you simply put one under each arm for about 2 minutes.

If you don't want to wait two minutes, how long does it take if you stick it in your crotch?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX