Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Eggdan - that looks good! The big pockets of air like that mean the dough was underproofed (I think). @SciAggie may be able to set me straight on this.

@theyolksonyou - That looks way better. How did taste?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking I cannot speak with any authority about the big hole in the center. I had them once or twice early on. Improper proofing is a likely contributor. I think improper shaping is a possibility as well. Too much bench flour can cause that when you fold the dough during shaping. I think I can see a white streak in the crumb that also points to too much bench flour when shaping. I could be full of gas also...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    These areas are what I’m looking at.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL That bread looks beautiful. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @caliking LoL. thanks. To be honest this was my second attempt. The first time I tried last week I thought the acidity killed the levain. Turns out it was my lack of patience. Almost tossed this and then it woke up. Identical recipe and process less folding Craisins in at Preshape and final shaping. 
    Here's last week's fail. It's important to note that this is underproofed not under baked. Flavor was "ok" but, really dense. Tried toasting it but, the only way I would've utilized it would've been cubing it out and turning it into croutons. Patience was the difference in today's loaf.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks Gary! @SciAggie
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Well after my starter's near death experience it has become twice as vigorous and aggressive. I can see I will have to adjust my bulk fermentation and proofing. 
    This loaf was 81% hydration. Flours> 50% stone-ground whole-wheat, 10% Ancient Grains spelt and 40% KAWBF. 100g stiff levain. Blowout!!! The struggle is real :neutral:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, that is a killer loaf.

I just pulled out the best I’ve done (31% WW, 69% AP, 78% hydration)

I still can’t lame worth a damn, but it sure tastes great. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    My first 100% stone-ground whole-wheat sourdough .Decided to use the batard proofing basket on this one .The bloom was ok at best.  Smells amazing.  Fresh Baked and haven't sliced it yet .

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    Options
    Pain du Cetta

WW - 36%, AP - 64%, 78% H20
    500g of pancetta from Spot (1/1/17), minus what @calking ate. 

Better bake w 450F (rather than Forkish 475F), and put in a bit earlier than normal (as I normally overproof). 

Baked in DI w parchment and ice cubes for steam. 

Will be buttered shortly. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    Those are beauts. Especially that one in the front.

For the record, I was simply volunteering my services for pancetta quality control. And I'm glad I did, coz it  was delicious.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Are you grinding your own flour or did you find a local source?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SciAggie Arrowhead Mills

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I like their products. Nice bread my friend.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2018
    Options
    My Wife wanted some Nostalgic Bruschetta Pizza. We used to eat this at least 4x per week in Sigonella, Palermo and Catania. For those that are interested the dough is recipe is here
    http://biggreenbrotherhood.com/insomniac-sourdough-buttermilk-pizza-dough/
    Dough was cold fermented for 72 hrs and 6 hrs at room temp just before baking. Thin crust is a must.
    Bruschetta recipe from "Cooking with Silvana Recipes and other Authentic Sicilian Dishes" by Silvana Gemmellaro Barnett. We bought her book over 20 years ago the first of two times we were deployed to Sicily. 

This made both of our hearts smile.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My Wife wanted some Nostalgic Bruschetta Pizza. We used to eat this at least 4x per week in Sigonella, Palermo and Catania. For those that are interested the dough is recipe is here
    http://biggreenbrotherhood.com/insomniac-sourdough-buttermilk-pizza-dough/
    Dough was cold fermented for 72 hrs and 6 hrs at room temp just before baking. Thin crust is a must.
    Bruschetta recipe from "Cooking with Silvana Recipes and other Authentic Sicilian Dishes" by Silvana Gemmellaro Barnett. We bought her book over 20 years ago the first of two times we were deployed to Sicily. 

This made both of our hearts smile.  
    Show off.  As you should Blake.  Fantastic!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @bgebrent Thanks Brent.
    I forgot to add this...if you should decide to try this dough recipe it is happiest at 650F-700F. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @bgebrent Thanks Brent.
    I forgot to add this...if you should decide to try this dough recipe it is happiest at 650F-700F. 
    Please come for a visit brother.  Visit and cook.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    Options
    Now that's a home run! Looks terrific, Blake :)

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thank you @caliking
    We had some real special memories there. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, that looks fantastic. When we see some sun, we'll have to give it a go
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That looks like a real winner. Thanks for posting as I had never heard of this dish. Your pics are very nice as well. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I decided to bake in the wood oven today. I’ve been using the oven in the house for a good while because I wanted to control my variables as I refined my recipe. The oven spring is fantastic. The only issue is the loaves didn’t open where I scored. Even though I spritzed the loaves with water I think the oven was just too dry. I believe the crust dried and formed before the loaf had a chance to open up. Next time I’ll add a pan of water and see if that helps. I’m reluctant to spritz water into the oven itself. I put too much money, time, and effort into this thing - I don’t want to crack it. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SciAggie Looks good Gary! I'd love to have a WFO in my arsenal. I think a CI skillet preheated in the oven and then waster just as the loaves enter. Drop it like it's hot. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @SciAggie Looks good Gary! I'd love to have a WFO in my arsenal. I think a CI skillet preheated in the oven and then waster just as the loaves enter. Drop it like it's hot. 
    That’s another option I’m thinking about. It’s great because the thermal mass keeps the temp steady. I just need to figure out how to keep the humidity up. I’m also wondering about even a SS bowl over the bread while the crust forms. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SciAggie Yep. LG SS bowl or CI DO base. Remove after 25 or so minutes. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    Options
    Nice loaves, Gary! Did you bake with the residual heat of the oven after a cook, or did you fire up specifically to bake?

Re: getting some steam in there, I have had good results with dropping 2-3 ice cubes behind the pleats of parchment paper, after i drop the dough into the hot DO. This creates a burst of steam right in the covered DO. I imagine that you could do something similar in your WFO, using a bowl or DO to cover the loaves.

Personally (and this is just my opinion), I dig the idea of just baking the loaves on the hearth like you did. The bread may turn out a bit different than what you get from the oven, but way cooler for having been baked in the WFO :)

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking The logic is a bit reversed. I fired up the oven early this morning and did the bread bake. I wanted a 300ish degree oven this afternoon so I needed to let the oven cool.
     I was afraid the oven would be dry. I just needed to know. After thinking on it today, I think next time I’m going to place a SS bowl over each loaf and see how that works.

I’m just too chicken to spray water or put ice in a hot oven. I think the bowl over each loaf and maybe a pan with wet towels will do the trick. I’m a long way from wanting to fill the oven with bread - I think two loaves at a time is all I see myself making any time soon. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon