Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamados at my local grill dealer

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    BGE's masterminds of innovation, chopped the legs off of a small, making it worse.  :s
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Has anyone figured what a side-by-side cost difference is by adding up all of the a la carte items like AR, stone, spider, mates, smokeware, nomex, nest etc etc which are OEM for KJ?

@CarolinaQ, help a brother out.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I can say that my LBGE was about $1099 plus tax (CAD). No accessories. My b-i-l just got the Classic Joe with stand/side table/divide and conquer/cover/tools, etc. for about the same price. 
  • Focker
    Options
    I can say that my LBGE was about $1099 plus tax (CAD). No accessories. My b-i-l just got the Classic Joe with stand/side table/divide and conquer/cover/tools, etc. for about the same price. 
    Thanks, off the top of my head ballpark savings, $600.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Focker said:
    Thanks, off the top of my head ballpark savings, $600.

we will just have to see what the new pricing is like.  When it comes to comparing tomatoes to tomatoes they may be close. Though you won't be able to factor in the hinge, might just have to guestimate the cost of the upgrade.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    My neighbor bought a KJ from Costco. The ash drawer does not seal air tight. makes it much harder to control the temp because of the air leaks when I was cooking on it. It did OK grilling burgers. Don't know how it would do with a brisket. I don't like the plastic handles.  My neighbor called customer service to replace a part that was DOA out of the box. Got the part 2 weeks later. "innovate or perish" these days.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    paqman said:
    They have problems with warranty replacements from BGE... My base and firebox are cracked.  They submitted a claim to BGE and it was initially denied (not cracked enough).  I was pissed so they sent it to their rep but I haven't heard back.  They said that the service from BGE is getting worst and worst and that they will make it right somehow.  We'll see.
    When you say the claim was denied, was that by the retailer or Northwinds? The way I understand the Canadian market, we have only one distributor located in the GTA as I recall. I guess if they deny your claim, you are SOL. 
    Be interested to see any $$$ difference between the LBGE and the KJ. How close are the prices? Lowes here on the west coast is about $100 less than a BGE and that includes many of the KJ included accessories, not in the BGE package. Primo is still a reasonable buy here. 
    @Skiddymarker Dealer said that BGE rejected it because they don't consider airline cracks as a functional defect.  I argued with them that it was a fire hazard because even though it was still holding together, it is cracked through, that I could accept it for the firebox but not for the base.  They maintained that BGE rejected it and that there was nothing they could do and then gave me BGE's phone number.  Called them and left a VM but never got a call back.  Went back to the dealer and SWMBO went all lawyer on the rep (there was many customers in the store) and they finally ended up asking for a picture of the other side to resubmit a claim.  I talked to the guy who sold me the egg and he said that he would make it right... as I said, we'll see.

Options
    anybody with a kjoe want to run a comparison,  adjustable rig/woo/spider vs. Divide and Conquer, 18" or 24" size.  I keep asking but no one answers............

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,321
    edited March 2017
    Options
    egger ave said:
    My neighbor bought a KJ from Costco. The ash drawer does not seal air tight. makes it much harder to control the temp because of the air leaks when I was cooking on it. It did OK grilling burgers. Don't know how it would do with a brisket. I don't like the plastic handles.  My neighbor called customer service to replace a part that was DOA out of the box. Got the part 2 weeks later. "innovate or perish" these days.
    I never liked the plastic handles either. Hope Bobby is still following this (and taking notes!!).
  • paqman
    Options
    egger ave said:
    When I purchased the egg, KJ did not have a screen to prevent sparks.  I'm using my egg and a wood deck so it is mandatory for me... I would not use it without the screen.  Not sure if KJ have a screen now.

paqman said:
    egger ave said:
    When I purchased the egg, KJ did not have a screen to prevent sparks.  I'm using my egg and a wood deck so it is mandatory for me... I would not use it without the screen.  Not sure if KJ have a screen now.

Exact same boat.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    They have problems with warranty replacements from BGE... My base and firebox are cracked.  They submitted a claim to BGE and it was initially denied (not cracked enough).  I was pissed so they sent it to their rep but I haven't heard back.  They said that the service from BGE is getting worst and worst and that they will make it right somehow.  We'll see.
    When you say the claim was denied, was that by the retailer or Northwinds? The way I understand the Canadian market, we have only one distributor located in the GTA as I recall. I guess if they deny your claim, you are SOL. 
    Be interested to see any $$$ difference between the LBGE and the KJ. How close are the prices? Lowes here on the west coast is about $100 less than a BGE and that includes many of the KJ included accessories, not in the BGE package. Primo is still a reasonable buy here. 
    @Skiddymarker Dealer said that BGE rejected it because they don't consider airline cracks as a functional defect.  I argued with them that it was a fire hazard because even though it was still holding together, it is cracked through, that I could accept it for the firebox but not for the base.  They maintained that BGE rejected it and that there was nothing they could do and then gave me BGE's phone number.  Called them and left a VM but never got a call back.  Went back to the dealer and SWMBO went all lawyer on the rep (there was many customers in the store) and they finally ended up asking for a picture of the other side to resubmit a claim.  I talked to the guy who sold me the egg and he said that he would make it right... as I said, we'll see.

"Airline cracks" - Does that happen when you're grilling on a flight? Like the "fire high" club?

Don't mean to make light of it. This is a terrible situation. Keep us all posted. I would be livid. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    egger ave said:
    I never liked the plastic handles either. Hope Bobby is still following this (and taking notes!!).
    I like the plastic handles. Impervious to the elements and never need to deal with rotting or having to revarnish down the road.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    egger ave said:
    I like the plastic handles. Impervious to the elements and never need to deal with rotting or having to revarnish down the road.
    I hear you, but they look so damn cheap. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    tjv said:
    anybody with a kjoe want to run a comparison,  adjustable rig/woo/spider vs. Divide and Conquer, 18" or 24" size.  I keep asking but no one answers............

t
    You send the parts tom and I'll run it on my kj classic. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    paqman said:
    egger ave said:

The two larger KJ's have a removable ash pan that incorporates a spark screen. They do not have a separate sliding spark screen like the Eggs.

The KJ Jr. does not have an ash pan or a sliding spark screen. I've never seen a spark or ember shoot out of the bottom of my Jr. If I was concerned about that I would simply cut a piece of wire mesh or place one of those stainless steel scrubby things in the opening to prevent that.

I don't think any of the other kamados have the dual sliding vent/screens that the Eggs do.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    paqman said:
    egger ave said:

It is part of the pullout  ashtray. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The ceramic cooker market is open for big sales gains.  All the players recognize that.  I'm sure most first-time buyers may do some product research/comparison but not a lot.  So, it then defaults to the store/dealer that you work with.  Their brand loyalty and knowledge ( to an extent) will drive the direction for the sale.  As noted above, BGE has a limited and managed distribution network.  Others are out getting more broad consumer exposure.  Who knows how it will continue to play.
    But I do know and has been eluded to above, if you are complacent (enjoying the view from the top of the mountain) and are not innovating, the competition is always after your market and will over-take you at some point.  You can define innovation however you want but the public will determine the final definition.  More than enough for one post.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Could the BGE only requirement apply only in the US? I believe the dealers primarily being discussed in this thread are in Canada.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Could the BGE only requirement apply only in the US? I believe the dealers primarily being discussed in this thread are in Canada.
     Our big dealer in Augusta just kicked BGE to the curb on account of their ultimatum, and he seems to be doing well. I love my eggs, but damn it's not looking good here either. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
     Our big dealer in Augusta just kicked BGE to the curb on account of their ultimatum, and he seems to be doing well. I love my eggs, but damn it's not looking good here either. 
    its the dealers who may get them to change.  Can't sell them if they aren't in any stores.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My local ACE here in Sandy Springs, maybe 5 miles from the mother ship went all red.  No bge at all.  Still selling Yeti, no RTIC.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    The rules are enforces by the distributors.......some turn their heads, others are pretty strict.  Either way, can't fault BGE for maintaining their brand image.  If a dealer brings in another line of kamados, pits them front and center, then BGE sales drop, why the hell would/should the distributor still sell to them???  They're obviously more enthusiastic (or pulling more margin) on the other brand, so why let them use the brand to bring people in just to sell them the other one.  Many, many luxury product companies do this and it's ultimately better for the consumer in the end.  (Some may argue that, but I think it is.)  If there was a BGE dealer on every corner and each one had a dozen different kamados in it, would the sales staff get educated on all of them, would there be any decent customer service, how about eggfests, lifetime warranty, etc.  All NO's.  It would be price and nothing else.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @stlcharcoal I agree completely but the fact that it's BGE getting kicked to the curb vs the other guys says something too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    BGE needs to awaken to the rising tide.  It is clear and present.
  • paqman
    Options
    The dealer being discussed here recently started selling KJ.  That being said, they have been selling other brands of Kamados (Primo, grill dome) for as long as I can remember so this is not something new.  KJ is being sold everywhere around here, from fireplace to kitchen appliances stores so I am not surprised that they started selling it.  In fact, I don't see them stop selling BGE anytime soon, but they are probably replacing another brand with KJ.

Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @stlcharcoal I agree completely but the fact that it's BGE getting kicked to the curb vs the other guys says something too. 

Yeah, I get that.  For me, it was still an easy decision which one to choose for our little store......BGE.  Among brand loyalty and other reasons, I'm surely not going to sell a brand that the manufacturer is going to undercut me big time on at the local Costco's several times a year.  Dealer support is just as important as customer support, and I have no worries or qualms about that (despite what some ex-BGE dealers are claiming). 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Yeah, I get that.  For me, it was still an easy decision which one to choose for our little store......BGE.  Among brand loyalty and other reasons, I'm surely not going to sell a brand that the manufacturer is going to undercut me big time on at the local Costco's several times a year.  Dealer support is just as important as customer support, and I have no worries or qualms about that (despite what some ex-BGE dealers are claiming). 
    I think your right and appreciate your insights.  Still, BGE has shown no sign to their loyal consumers that their interested in innovation and progress.  Not smart.  I've been loyal for a while.  I'd look both ways in the future due to the lack of innovation/accessories.  Product quality, accessories available and economics rule the day.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:

I think your right and appreciate your insights.  Still, BGE has shown no sign to their loyal consumers that their interested in innovation and progress.  Not smart.  I've been loyal for a while.  I'd look both ways in the future due to the lack of innovation/accessories.  Product quality, accessories available and economics rule the day.
    The innovations are grossly overstated. I love the simplicity of the egg as it's sold. You can do almost anything with a PS, ash tool, and grid lifter. Everything else is gingerbread. I appreciate much of the extras, but virtually all of this is born out of the egg and the egghead community.
      The KJ rotis is an eggheads item they purchased. Great, but ho hum. The divide and conquer is a riff on the AR and the primo setup. The top is a nice and cleaver riff on the SW cap. And the hinge / latch / gasket , are toatally non issues as far as I am concerned. I like all these things to some degree, but none of them really makes a big difference. If you like the divide and conquer you should have purchased a primo oval. If you like the hinge and gasket combo, the Weber has that. It's what Ed Fisher created in a community and the "Egghead" itself that makes the egg great. The Egg is The Egg and all others simply are not. That said, enjoy whatever you like. 
    Well said and I agree with 100% of what you said.  Perception is reality.  BGE needs to incite some better perception, plain and simple.  And it would be simple.  Some new creativity.  Laurels get uncomfortable after a time.  I can remember when I aspired to a Cadillac.  By the time I could afford one BMW's were better.  That was a long time ago.  Never owned a cadillac.