Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamados at my local grill dealer

Options
123457»

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    We have a dealer that sells both big green eggs and now primo. I havent been in since they got primos just saw the sign but I thought it strange to sell both. 

Little Rock, AR

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Some of you know I am looking for a MM or small as a second eg for daily cooks.

Found the Joe Jr yesterday online at WalMart for $482 while my local Ace wants $599 for the MiniMax. But on looking closer shipping is $196 making the total $678. Not such a bargain anymore considering I can drive home with the Mini from my local Ace.
    Acehardware.com should ship Joe's to stores for free. That should bring down your price dramatically. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options

Found the Joe Jr yesterday online at WalMart for $482 while my local Ace wants $599 for the MiniMax. But on looking closer shipping is $196 making the total $678. Not such a bargain anymore considering I can drive home with the Mini from my local Ace.
    Go to a KJ road show @ Costco and get a JR for $395.00. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    yljkt said:

Crushing it. My small with nest, at a fest, was much much more.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    stlcharcoal, could you message me your address in St Louis for
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options

Bbqguys.com sells the KJ Jr. for $499 with free shipping.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    yljkt said:

Does the warranty come with a buy from Costco?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Eoin said:
    HeavyG said:
    alynd said:
    alynd said:
    Hans61 said:
    alynd said:
    Bge is in first by a wide margin. KJ is in 2nd by a wide margin. 
    He's a former kj employee. Probably something behind his comment 
    I just bet that 2 and 3 are vastly closer than 1 and 2. 
     I don't know.  I've visited hundreds of retailers and dealers of all brands throughout the country. You just don't see many Primo dealers anywhere and even fewer Grill Dome dealers. Most (not all) dealers realize its become a 2 horse race. I mean just look at this board. There are constantly new threads comparing the egg to KJ, but I can't remember the last thread centered around Primo, Grill Dome, etc. For the most part, BGE dominates the independent retailer channel, but with KJ partnering with the larger regional and national chains, the difference in the number of grills sold per year is sure to close.  And again, I no longer have any skin in the game, just sharing what info I have and what I've seen around the country. 
    How was the profit sharing? That's how you really measure success. For instance Traeger used to do a huge percentage of their business online. They figured out that they couldn't make any money selling their brand for no profit and then having people default on payments and still having to service the product. They now have completely reorganized and do less than 3% of their business online and have rededicated their commitment to the retailer. They have exploded. 
     I'm not sure I understand your question about profit sharing and how it relates to the discussion. 
    Your business model has to be profitable. Thus my Traeger example. They sold a ton of pellet grills online over a five year period and made very little money, undercut the dealer network, and almost destroyed their business. If BGE sanctioned selling eggs at box stores I would look elsewhere. That is not the action of a good partner. Understanding this distinction is at the heart of the egg success and some will never get it as they have no perspective other than the Walmart consumer mentality (hurray for me and F you!). I personally choose to avoid that sort of thing both as a businessman and as a consumer.  I know I'm not alone, but I also know there is a whole other mentality out there. You can have those people. All of them. 
    So apparently it is possible for a manufacturer to:

- sell via a dealer network
    - sell online (via their own and third-party websites)
    - sell via big box stores.

Traeger does just that. As do many other manufacturers of many types of products.

I don't really care who sells the most kamados. I'm trying to think of any product or product category where the item that is the most popular, as judged by units sold, is also the "best" item in its class. Certainly not true of watches, or computers, or tvs, or cars. I'm sure there must be something for which that is true and I'm just not thinking of it at the moment.

Ceramic Kamado Grill is a sub category, so BGE is the biggest seller in the premium / luxury sub category and not the whole grill market. Look again at cars and now we are comparing BMW, Audi, Jaguar volumes and ignoring Ford and GM.
    Break it into subcategories. When looking at BMW/Audi/Jaguar who sells the most? Which one is "best"?

I think what I said still holds in regards to the ceramic kamados competing with each other in the same pricing range. 

Again, I don't think it is important who sells the most kamados. Are BGE fanboys going to suddenly jump ship if Primo became the best selling kamado?

Doubtful, but you never know, peer pressure is a powerful force.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    unlike 'bootleg' BGE sold at Costco, I believe it's warranted since roadshows are organised and staffed by KJ corporate.
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    Options
    yljkt said:

Yes they have the KJ warranty.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you guys like the divide and conquer system you should really sell your KJ and get a 400 Primo. Imo, the divide and conquer is a closer riff of the primo than the CGS stuff. It borrows from both, but if you like the KJ you will love the true two zone and actual offset/indirect cooking available on the Primo. With the price increases of the KJ, the Primo is a steal. No real good forum though. It's the black one and it's not round. Just trying to help. 
    Where can you get a Primo for $400?  The cheapest I have seen is around $800 maybe. $400 is a steal for a Primo where I live.  

When I was looking I looked at all three; the BGR, KJ and Primo.  When I went into ACE stores to ask about the KJ they couldn't tell me much.  I went to one of our local BBQ grill stores and they wanted a lot of money for both the Primo and KJ.  To get the KJ XL or what ever it is called with next and tables was going to be close to $2k, the Primo was more.  Where I got my XLBGE is a dealer that is about 4 to 5 miles from my house, sold me the egg, nest, tables, ash tool, grate lifter, starter sticks and a 20lb bag of BGE charcoal for around $1650 with tax.  They also delivered it to my house and showed me how to set it and use it.  I have had 5 or 6 claims over the last 3 years and all have been taken care of very quickly after they received photos of the issues.

The other thing that makes me like BGE is this form and the we all communicate on here like this.  My neighbor has LBGE, but is not on this forum, but cooks great food on it.  He also has like 7 other types of grills or so.  KJ's new design looks cool, and if I was looking like I was 3 years ago I would probably buy it if the deal and warranty were like what BGE gave me.  KJ does have a forum, but it doesn't look as fun as this one kind of like the the BGE one here.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you guys like the divide and conquer system you should really sell your KJ and get a 400 Primo. Imo, the divide and conquer is a closer riff of the primo than the CGS stuff. It borrows from both, but if you like the KJ you will love the true two zone and actual offset/indirect cooking available on the Primo. With the price increases of the KJ, the Primo is a steal. No real good forum though. It's the black one and it's not round. Just trying to help. 
    Where can you get a Primo for $400?  The cheapest I have seen is around $800 maybe. $400 is a steal for a Primo where I live.  

When I was looking I looked at all three; the BGR, KJ and Primo.  When I went into ACE stores to ask about the KJ they couldn't tell me much.  I went to one of our local BBQ grill stores and they wanted a lot of money for both the Primo and KJ.  To get the KJ XL or what ever it is called with next and tables was going to be close to $2k, the Primo was more.  Where I got my XLBGE is a dealer that is about 4 to 5 miles from my house, sold me the egg, nest, tables, ash tool, grate lifter, starter sticks and a 20lb bag of BGE charcoal for around $1650 with tax.  They also delivered it to my house and showed me how to set it and use it.  I have had 5 or 6 claims over the last 3 years and all have been taken care of very quickly after they received photos of the issues.

The other thing that makes me like BGE is this form and the we all communicate on here like this.  My neighbor has LBGE, but is not on this forum, but cooks great food on it.  He also has like 7 other types of grills or so.  KJ's new design looks cool, and if I was looking like I was 3 years ago I would probably buy it if the deal and warranty were like what BGE gave me.  KJ does have a forum, but it doesn't look as fun as this one kind of like the the BGE one here.  
    400 is the XL. 300 is the L , 200 is the JR. new nomenclature. They are commensurate with the Egg and KJ. They used to be higher, but pretty close to the same. 
  • HeavyG
    Options

400 is the XL. 300 is the L , 200 is the JR. new nomenclature. They are commensurate with the Egg and KJ. They used to be higher, but pretty close to the same. 
    What are your impressions of the Primo 200?

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:

It's too often overlooked. Lots of space and versatility when you add the extra level of grids. They have this "go" system which is a nest with a removable too designed to be portable. It's a two person gig, but pretty cool. I love the primos , but they just don't have the "egg" hype and culture going on. Their distribution and marketing is lagging. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Primo is actually in the middle of releasing an Oval Gasser at the moment. They had a gasser years ago. Can't remember the name of the thing. Maybe they will release an oval Hibachi while they are at it lol......oh that's right Lodge did that. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Primo is actually in the middle of releasing an Oval Gasser at the moment. They had a gasser years ago. Can't remember the name of the thing. Maybe they will release an oval Hibachi while they are at it lol......oh that's right Lodge did that. 
    Yeah, I saw the gasser at the show. Claims to use less fuel due to ceramics and a higher moisture content due to the fuel type. Actually makes a bit of sense. Seems gimmicky though. We'll see. Lol. 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Awwpgprescott said:
    HeavyG said:

It's too often overlooked. Lots of space and versatility when you add the extra level of grids. They have this "go" system which is a nest with a removable too designed to be portable. It's a two person gig, but pretty cool. I love the primos , but they just don't have the "egg" hype and culture going on. Their distribution and marketing is lagging. 
    The 200 looks awesome but damn at 110lbs, it is as you say, a two man job.  I think I would like to set it up on my deck by egg though.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Awwpgprescott said:
    HeavyG said:

The 200 looks awesome but damn at 110lbs, it is as you say, a two man job.  I think I would like to set it up on my deck by egg though.
    Yeah, it wasn't designed as a tailgater per se, but they just went with the flow. It's a work horse, but most people gravitate to the 400 for obvious reasons.