Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamados at my local grill dealer

Options
GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,321
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
So, I was just in at the biggest dealer in my area. The store had been reorganized quite significantly with all of the kamados in one section of the building. Couldn't help but notice that the BGE was confined to one small section of the store while its major competitor now had at least double the show floor space. The contrast was striking.

Hard to tell whether this a result of the greater number of accessories manufactured by the competition (i.e., more floor space needed) or the competition's rise in popularity relative to the BGE. I suspect it is a combination of both. Either way, it looked bad for BGE. 

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    Which dealer?

edited March 2017
    Options
    @paqman: Did you know that Centre du Foyer has gone in the other direction? They appear to have dropped the competition, as they now feature BGE on the floor, and exclusively at that. 
  • paqman
    Options
    They have problems with warranty replacements from BGE... My base and firebox are cracked.  They submitted a claim to BGE and it was initially denied (not cracked enough).  I was pissed so they sent it to their rep but I haven't heard back.  They said that the service from BGE is getting worst and worst and that they will make it right somehow.  We'll see.

paqman said:
    They have problems with warranty replacements from BGE... My base and firebox are cracked.  They submitted a claim to BGE and it was initially denied (not cracked enough).  I was pissed so they sent it to their rep but I haven't heard back.  They said that the service from BGE is getting worst and worst and that they will make it right somehow.  We'll see.
    Your MM?

I'm surprised that they would deny the base claim, given it could be a potential safety issue. 

Would sure suck if BGE was to have difficulty honouring warranties. 

Please keep me posted, as I'm curious to know how this plays out.
  • paqman
    Options
    The large

Options
    I was at BBQ World (formerly Ontario Gas BBQ, and still the self-proclaimed largest BBQ store in the world) in Whitby a few weeks ago, and while talking about all the changes going on in the store I asked the manager whether they sell more BGE or KJ; I was a bit surprised that he said they are selling more KJ than BGE.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    I was at BBQ World (formerly Ontario Gas BBQ, and still the self-proclaimed largest BBQ store in the world) in Whitby a few weeks ago, and while talking about all the changes going on in the store I asked the manager whether they sell more BGE or KJ; I was a bit surprised that he said they are selling more KJ than BGE.
    Doesn't surprise me, both on account of price point and innovation (the latter of which was part of the response the dealer gave me about the new distribution of floor space).

I hope I made the right choice buying two BGEs last year.  :s
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I don't think you made a bad choice, BGE will still be around for a long time.  They just might need to pull up their socks a bit.  
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have a friend who sells BGE, that's how I got mine. Have heard him b!tch several times about his distributor coming to store and giving him flak about not enough floorspace / not enough accessories / too close to Weber display / etc. Meanwhile, over the summer these folks came in and set it like they want it. And left....wait for it....wait for it....VHS tapes about the BGE experience. Marked down to $5.00. And some BGE cooking magazine that was so old it didn't have a Mini Max in the line-up. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I don't think you made a bad choice, BGE will still be around for a long time.  They just might need to pull up their socks a bit.  
    I don't know. Just feels a little like they're on their way out. 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I don't know. Just feels a little like they're on their way out. 
    One would expect that they have to wake up sometime.  Then again look at Blackberry, you could be right.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    At least you only have 2. 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I thought BGE was not letting its dealers sell the competition. Interesting...
  • GrateEggspectations
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I know several in my area that sell both. Meanwhile, the competition is also widely carried at less specialized stores like Lowes and the like. BGE's dealer network is likely throttling it. 
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Could it be that the margins are higher on the KJ, and the dealer makes more money on the KJ??
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Wowens: Could be, but dealers I've dealt with in the past have pushed the BGE, leading me to believe their margins must be higher (which would make sense, as they command substantially more dough).
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Wowens said:
    Could it be that the margins are higher on the KJ, and the dealer makes more money on the KJ??

KJ has been making a lot of changes and has new ideas.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Wowens said:
    margins are generally the same or close to it.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    yljkt said:
    And left....wait for it....wait for it....VHS tapes about the BGE experience. 
    That's just poor marketing. Betamax is much higher quality.
    I would think they would at least use laser discs. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • GrateEggspectations
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Perhaps the tapes were simply intended to be used as plate setter rests. That's the only plausible explanation. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

For those worried,It seems like much ado about nothing.

BGE is still launching new, branded accessories and major bbq seasoning companies are still routinely featuring BGE as their cooker of choice.  While it's true that BGE is behind the curve on innovation, they don't seem to lack for strategic partners or brand ambassadors. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    OhioEgger said:
    yljkt said:
    And left....wait for it....wait for it....VHS tapes about the BGE experience. 
    That's just poor marketing. Betamax is much higher quality.
    I would think they would at least use laser discs. 
    How about podcasts... on DAT
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    johnnyp said:

For those worried,It seems like much ado about nothing.

BGE is still launching new, branded accessories and major bbq seasoning companies are still routinely featuring BGE as their cooker of choice.  While it's true that BGE is behind the curve on innovation, they don't seem to lack for strategic partners or brand ambassadors. 

The Commodore 64 was all the rage... until it wasn't. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    paqman said:
    When you say the claim was denied, was that by the retailer or Northwinds? The way I understand the Canadian market, we have only one distributor located in the GTA as I recall. I guess if they deny your claim, you are SOL. 
    Be interested to see any $$$ difference between the LBGE and the KJ. How close are the prices? Lowes here on the west coast is about $100 less than a BGE and that includes many of the KJ included accessories, not in the BGE package. Primo is still a reasonable buy here. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Over on The Facebook there is a KJ users group and I noticed that the prez of KJ made a post a short time ago referencing this thread. Oddly I didn't see any specific mention of ACE stores going "Green" in this thread but perhaps that was mentioned in a different thread in this forum. He did call BGE the "Blackberry of the category" as @bigalsworth mentioned.

I would have just posted a link but the Facebook group is one you have to ask to join and ain't nobody got time for that so here's a screensnap:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GrateEggspectations
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey Bobby.... I'll tell you what.... If you send me a kamado I will do a full and detailed unbiased comparison of the two. PM me if interested. Thanks.