Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

International Holocaust Remembrance Day

Options

"International Holocaust Remembrance Day, is an international memorial day on 27 January commemorating the victims of the Holocaust. It commemorates the genocide that resulted in the death of an estimated 6 million Jewish people, 2 million Romani people, 250,000 mentally and physically disabled people, and 9,000 homosexual men by the Nazi regime and its collaborators."

Fortunately, there is NO chance of anything like that happening now.  Here.  In our United States.  No way.
Right?

https://www.ushmm.org/information/exhibitions/online-exhibitions/special-focus/international-holocaust-remembrance-day?gclid=Cj0KEQiA_KvEBRCtzNil4-KR-LIBEiQAmgekF-NjmCLgRsJCTXCsuK75noFXnKRm2iNYwgRbZlR7If0aAowp8P8HAQ

#NotInOurBubble
"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Probably time to re-read/study some of those Sinclair Lewis books.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Exactly!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You disgrace yourself. Good grief. Get some help. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,272
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't think that the OP was "making cracks" about the Holocaust. The statement above references the awful human costs of the world's greatest tragedy and I don't see anything in the post contradicting or making light of this. 

Rather, I believe he(?) is making the widely-accepted assertion that nationalism was a driving force of the rise of Nazism and (perhaps sarcastically) making the argument that similar risks exist for any nation that exhibits strong nationalistic traits.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Poor taste- don't let your political beliefs take away from the rememberance of the people who suffered the atrocities. 

Careful you don't get as biased in your views as those you are so fond of ridiculing.  You know the old glass houses thing...
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Would be something to sign a refugee ban on this day though, wouldn't it?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    pretty sure they vetted out the bad nazis and hunted them  down before taking in the holocaust victims
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    OMG.  Sheeple, please remember history.  That would be too ironic with "America First". 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/27/opinions/trump-america-first-ugly-echoes-dunn/

Options
    Seems like climate deniers aren't the only alternate fact folks here.  We have anti-semites too, based on the negative flags.  What a shame.
    Options
    Well said Evie.
  • Sardonicus
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Poor taste- don't let your political beliefs take away from the rememberance of the people who suffered the atrocities. 

Careful you don't get as biased in your views as those you are so fond of ridiculing.  You know the old glass houses thing...
    I get that (first paragraph), but I don't believe that I did.  @GrateEggspectations  perfectly recapped my intent.  

Obviously, you and several others disagree.  I can not change the lens through which you/others view things, though I certainly understand how previous posts have crafted the lens through which my posts are viewed.
    Regarding that, anyway, I am unapologetic.

I will, however, give a nod toward your second stanza.  I should take care to avoid becoming overly entrenched in my mindset and am unsure when I am or when I am not allowing myself to become inflexible.  
    I doubt that I am alone in that.

• Sardonicus
    Options

An interesting read,

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/it-cant-happen-here-sinclair-lewis/1002456751?ean=9780698152700

Hopefully, it isn't too politically incorrect.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    The left have lost their fuckin minds. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Never had sensical minds.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Brilliant input.
  • Sardonicus
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes.  Yes, it would.

Jewish groups pan Trump for signing refugee ban on Holocaust Remembrance Day

"Many organizations that advocate for refugees slammed President Donald Trump's executive action Friday imposing "extreme vetting" on those fleeing to America, among them Jewish groups that took particular exception to the day on which he signed it: Holocaust Remembrance Day.

"It's repulsive," said Mark Hetfield, president and CEO of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, a faith-based nonprofit dedicated to resettling refugees in the United States. "I mean, the timing is incredibly offensive.  . . . " "

Yes, it was.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/trump-refugee-holocaust-remembrance-day/

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    John-

good thing the Saudi haven't been successful exporting Wahhabism? Plus pretty sure the refugee flood isn't coming from Saudi, UAE, etc. 

but your point is valid- not sure why we continue to put up with the house of Saud and the backstabbing we get from the royal family. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    John-

good thing the Saudi haven't been successful exporting Wahhabism? Plus pretty sure the refugee flood isn't coming from Saudi, UAE, etc. 

but your point is valid- not sure why we continue to put up with the house of Saud and the backstabbing we get from the royal family. 
    9/11 was used as a justification for the ban.  That is my only point here.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Which subset of countries does Trump have properties in?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    iphones are destroying humanity, so whats your point
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were a new executive order requiring all Muslims already in the US to wear red arm bands with the crescent moon embossed on them.

edit:  arm bands must be made in USA.
    Options
    Google and the other tech companies with labour problems can move those people here, we don't mind their taxes and spending.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Some of the folks being prevented from coming back in to the US hold green cards.  Green card holders are legal permanent residents.