Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT warning -Penzey's Spices Diatribe - OT warning

Options
I just received an email from Penzey's Spices regarding the presidential election and how hurt they are regarding Mr. Trumps election. Is it just my misunderstanding or have corporations now earned the right to vote and have somehow become sentient beings? Penzeys has good products and I have bought them for years but I personally don't give a hoot about their sexual preferences or who feels bad about what happened. Whether they like it or not, he IS their president for the next four years and they should at the least respect the office if not the man. Buck up people or risk losing customers! I respect free speech for individuals but feel granting it to a nonentity is going too far. Stepping off my soap box now. If this gets me banned, it's been nice knowing you folks but I cannot keep quiet about this, it absolutely infuriated me..
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    There was a post about this a couple of weeks ago. Bill Penzey is D-bag in my opinion. He will never see any of my hard earned money. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The owner of a privately owned company can say whatever they want...just like Trump does. Lol
    He sure can at the risk of pissing off customers and leaving money on the table. Stupid move if you ask me. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The owner of a privately owned company can say whatever they want...just like Trump does. Lol
    He sure can at the risk of pissing off customers and leaving money on the table. Stupid move if you ask me. 
    Well I guess that's the issue. In Penzey's latest message, they claim some sales are up and he has received some nasty emails based on the first go around. Bottom line, I think current results, the way he sees them, have strengthened his resolve. 
    Saw an article regarding a place in Texas somewhere. That refused to serve anyone with neck or facial ink. I've heard the phrase no shirt, no shoes, no service - but facial ink?
    Do not understand some businesses. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    He has the "right" to do what he wants. His business. His call. I for one am glad he did it. I may have accidentally purchased from him prior to him letting me know how he feels. Now I will never be a customer. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    And you know how "racist" we'd all be, as business owners,  if we'd sent out a letter saying how regrettable it was that Obama was elected?!?! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's the beauty of a privately owned business.  He can do and say what he likes.  It may piss some folks off (possibly even  shareholders).  Clearly he feels strongly enough about it that he assumed that risk.  Maybe he is a DB but, he's passionate about his position and has made that abundantly clear.  I think @johnincarolina personally made their sales numbers increase after the email :smiley: But, I've personally never bought any of their products in the past so....

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I agree, very stupid. But he has enough money that he does not care.
    I just feel bad for anyone that works for his company that is fired or laid off from dropping sales. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Old news.  Let's make America Great Again.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Get over it.

I have, I no longer do any business with him. He is going to have a lot harder time getting over having a heterosexual white male (his words in the letter) leading this country for the next four or eight years.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    .... Is it just my misunderstanding or have corporations now earned the right to vote and have somehow become sentient beings? ...
    It won't be long.  The Supreme Court has pretty much said they have all the rights a person has with some of their recent rulings. It will be interesting to see how many votes a corporation gets.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    He clearly stated that he does not want customers who don't think like him.  I unsubscribed from his emails and will no longer be purchasing there.  Besides that he features crappy cooks in his catalogs and cookbook.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    All I can muster.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    He clearly stated that he does not want customers who don't think like him.  I unsubscribed from his emails and will no longer be purchasing there.  Besides that he features crappy cooks in his catalogs and cookbook.
    Hey! Don't be mean to Midwestern grandmas!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Any business, actor, or tv show that attempts to ram their political opinion down my throat is on my boycott list.  That goes for the left or right.   @stlcharcoal has a good outlook above.
    Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    There is some irony here about complaining over folks expressing their political opinion in a context one doesn't expect to see them.

Admittedly we have a lot of this kind of stuff going on this year.  Folks are boycotting Home Depot or Target or Kellogg's cereals or Broadway shows based on political statements someone with the organization made.  It's not healthy IMO.  All we're accomplishing is to strengthen our respective bubbles.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    could really care less what his political views are =) is everyone living in a bubble or is it just me =) its just so horrifying isnt it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Boycotts really work for bubble structural integrity. So does using foil lined stainless steel bowl for hats.
    Or vanilla beans to flavor bourbon. 
    Pick your battles.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    It's probably a ploy to drive up sales.  Worked for Chick-Fil-A on the opposite end.  I enjoy both products (Chick-Fil-A and Penzey's) and will continue to enjoy both because I don't let petty politics influence my decisions.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    There is some irony here about complaining over folks expressing their political opinion in a context one doesn't expect to see them.

Admittedly we have a lot of this kind of stuff going on this year.  Folks are boycotting Home Depot or Target or Kellogg's cereals or Broadway shows based on political statements someone with the organization made.  It's not healthy IMO.  All we're accomplishing is to strengthen our respective bubbles.
    i find the bubbles interesting =) some make no sense to me whatsoever
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    i remember chick-fil-a had a little PR issue too.  people thought it was odd to boycott them for simply airing their own views.

if a privately held business wants to preach (lib or con), it's up to them. let the chips fall where they may.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Kudos for having the cajones to stand up for what you believe in by drawing a line in the sand.  I have no issue with that whatsoever.  Like @johnkitchens said - now I know and can make my choice as a consumer to support his company (or not).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    edited December 2016
    Options
    i remember chick-fil-a had a little PR issue too.  people thought it was odd to boycott them for simply airing their own views.

if a privately held business wants to preach (lib or con), it's up to them. let the chips fall where they may.

The thing was, it wasn't the company's rules--it was the owners religion.  They never said "Our Company.....", it was a quote from one of the Cathy family members about their religion's beliefs that set everything off.  The company is not refusing to serve anyone, refusing to employ anyone, etc.  Owners are strict Southern Baptists, and give a lot of their money to their chosen religion's charities.  Their money come from Chik-fil-A obviously, so I suppose you could say Chik-fil-A funds it.  My four kids go to private school affiliated with a religion, doesn't make RW a "hater".  We're in a crappy public school district and my wife & I wanted them to go through the same education we did.....that's all. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options

Airing is one thing, actively investing in the pursuit of their demise is another.
    Either way, they do not agree with my views, therefore, they are always wrong. Whatevs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    He has the "right" to do what he wants. His business. His call. I for one am glad he did it. I may have accidentally purchased from him prior to him letting me know how he feels. Now I will never be a customer. 
    That's an odd strategy. Do you know the political or other views of the owner of every gas station you buy gas from, for instance?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    caliking said:
    That's an odd strategy. Do you know the political or other views of the owner of every gas station you buy gas from, for instance?

Nobody does that, but let's say that gas station owner very publicly said "If YOU did X, you are a Y, and I don't want Y's shopping at my store!!!!"  You don't know the guy, he doesn't know you, but he just incorrectly profiled (and thus insulted your integrity and values) then hell yeah you would stop shopping there.  

You can have whatever political, religious, etc views and customers never are the wiser--and even if they are, most don't care.  You attack then and tell them to spend their money elsewhere, then buckle up for the counterattack.

Thread is sinking by the way...........

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:

The thing was, it wasn't the company's rules--it was the owners religion.  They never said "Our Company.....", it was a quote from one of the Cathy family members about their religion's beliefs that set everything off.  The company is not refusing to serve anyone, refusing to employ anyone, etc.  Owners are strict Southern Baptists, and give a lot of their money to their chosen religion's charities.  Their money come from Chik-fil-A obviously, so I suppose you could say Chik-fil-A funds it.  My four kids go to private school affiliated with a religion, doesn't make RW a "hater".  We're in a crappy public school district and my wife & I wanted them to go through the same education we did.....that's all. 

Right there with ya, Jonathan.  The Cathy family are good friends.  The statement was made at a religious event and some weasel reported asked about gay marriage.  What the hell kinda answer did he think he was going to get at a Southern Baptist convention?

I think the Penzy's thing works perfectly for me since I'm about to buy a good deal of spices for (gasp) my church for a function I'm cooking at.  Nothing astronomical, but maybe 900 hundred bucks worth.  The local store 5 minutes from my office here in Atlanta was going to love me for it.  Their loss.

Same with the schools situation.  I still pay my taxes to the county for schools, but out district sucks monkey nuts.  Something about the neighboring country's schools losing accreditation and all the family fleeing their county and moving into any structure they could in my county.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!