Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped scallops with bourbon maple glaze

Options
Scallops were wrapped in my own unsmoked bacon and secured with toothpicks. I put them on the egg, indirect, at 250 with a little pecan for smoke.  I let the temp slowly climb as the fat was rendering, finally hitting 350 after 45 minutes.  I moved them around a bit to make sure they were getting evenly crisped.  Bourbon maple glaze went on for the last 15 minutes, and I reserved some of the glaze for a dipping sauce.  I was worried that such a long cook time would dry out the scallops but they were perfect.

Bourbon maple glaze:  (from http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/bourbon_maple_glazed_chicken_wings/)
1. Saute 2 tbs grated onion in 2 tbs butter.
2. Add 3/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup bourbon.  (I used Maker's Mark)
3. Pinch of salt and pepper, and a nice chunk of fresh rosemary.  
4. Reduce down by at least half.  Remove the rosemary.  

(@bgebrent remember my plan to meat glue these together?  I think someone threw out my TG.  Bummer!)

And just for fun, some steaks going on for a sear, after a ride in the hot tub.  Hard to beat a fire-breathing large for searing a bunch of steaks quickly...

Happy Sunday, and Happy Thanksgiving
Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

Comments