Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made the cart before the egg

Options

Comments

• LBH
    LBH Posts: 50
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Beautiful work and shop!   I'm a Festool fan myself.
    I'm with you there Nola. I've spent wayyyyyyy too much money on black and green tools/ Gorgeous table.
    I couldn't build anything without Festool.  I've tried to make mortise and tenon joints by hand many many times.  Fail.  Domino no problem.
    Everything pictured was made without a table saw and before I had a bandsaw.  The MFT/3 table, guid rails, and track saw did it all.

Jeremiah said:
    Am I the only one that sees faces in the wall?
    I did also notice them as well.. Very cool..
    It's book matched burl elm veneer on 3/4" plywood.  The cabinets and walls are wormy blue pine (beetle kill), drawer bank is contoured quilted maple, and the Roubo workbench is soft maple with babinga.

• LBH
    Options

The first cook.  FAIL

It started as a beautiful copper river salmon from the temporary Costco fish market.  It morphed into a dried out pink insulation.   bbqpitboys recipe.  Maple syrup and rub.

Day before I did an egg test to see if I could hold the temp at 250º for an hour.  No problem.  Yesterday I setup with BGE coal just over the vent holes and some chunks of alder.  I waited until I could stabilize the temp at 250º then put on the place setter, waited for 250º and clean smoke, put the fish on, waited for 250º again.  Set the timer for 2 hours,  monitored for 20-30 minutes and left.

I told my daughter’s boyfriend to flip the fish at 2 hrs. and reset the timer for 2 hours.  When I returned he said he can out and the temp spiked to almost 400º.  Closed up the damper and brought it below 300º

At the 3 hour point I removed the fish.  Had an ok taste but it stuck in your mouth.

RRP said:

That is correct - you need some form of spacer to separate the bottom of the egg and the stone. Common "pot" feet sold at landscaping shops will do. Or BGE sells a short metal stand it can sit in to provide the air space.

• LBH
    Options

RRP said:

That is correct - you need some form of spacer to separate the bottom of the egg and the stone. Common "pot" feet sold at landscaping shops will do. Or BGE sells a short metal stand it can sit in to provide the air space.
    Is the air gap only to safeguard the wood?  If so 3/4" of granite should do the trick.  If it effects cooking then there will be an air gap installed toot sweet.

I really don't want to raise the egg.  I built it to the BGE cart specks.  15" below the countertop and 21" diameter hole.  If the egg is raised there will be a wider gap between the egg and the counter top.

The man at the BBQ store told me I didn't need a nest with granite.  That said you have a lot of "street credibility".  I appreciate your (everyone's) concern.

All-the-best,

Luke
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    LBH said:

RRP said:

Is the air gap only to safeguard the wood?  If so 3/4" of granite should do the trick.  If it effects cooking then there will be an air gap installed toot sweet.

I really don't want to raise the egg.  I built it to the BGE cart specks.  15" below the countertop and 21" diameter hole.  If the egg is raised there will be a wider gap between the egg and the counter top.

The man at the BBQ store told me I didn't need a nest with granite.  That said you have a lot of "street credibility".  I appreciate your (everyone's) concern.

All-the-best,

Luke
    I don't disagree that an air gap is likely preferable. I like an air gap if only because it allows me to slide a pie pan under the Egg to catch the ash when I scrape it out.

As I said before, according to BGE's own published literature placing an Egg on a concrete paver is acceptable practice. They just warn not to place an Egg directly onto a wood or combustible surface:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    great looking table and great looking shop!
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Saw that too - reminded me of @SGH the morning after the night before!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LBH
    Options
    Those are my Minions.  
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    LBH said:

The first cook.  FAIL

It started as a beautiful copper river salmon from the temporary Costco fish market.  It morphed into a dried out pink insulation.   bbqpitboys recipe.  Maple syrup and rub.

Day before I did an egg test to see if I could hold the temp at 250º for an hour.  No problem.  Yesterday I setup with BGE coal just over the vent holes and some chunks of alder.  I waited until I could stabilize the temp at 250º then put on the place setter, waited for 250º and clean smoke, put the fish on, waited for 250º again.  Set the timer for 2 hours,  monitored for 20-30 minutes and left.

I told my daughter’s boyfriend to flip the fish at 2 hrs. and reset the timer for 2 hours.  When I returned he said he can out and the temp spiked to almost 400º.  Closed up the damper and brought it below 300º

At the 3 hour point I removed the fish.  Had an ok taste but it stuck in your mouth.

RRP said:

I take it you are using the daisy wheel for low & slow?  Could the top been left open during the cook?  that would make it spike.  You want to make sure when you lift the lid the daisy wheel doesn't move, if it does you have to remember to slide it back.  That's the only thing I can think of that happened or the wind really picked up.  Sorry about the first cook.  Your table and shop look awesome.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Once again, love your table and envious of the shop.

Regarding the fish, it's done around an internal temp of 125F.  That's probably 20 minutes at 250F indirect, give or take.

Salmon is a very fatty fish so it doesn't suffer as much as leaner fish when overcooked, but I think 4 hours at 250 is going to bring the temp of the fish up near the boiling point of water, regardless of the end-of-cook runaway temp spike you had.

At those high internal temps you're going to get a canned fish consistency, which I think may have explained the "stuck in your mouth" feel.
    Options

that is really nice

New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • lahlooha
    lahlooha Posts: 63
    Options
    Inspirational.

Quick question, what's the average cost of material for a DIY table?
    Assuming you have all the tools.

Any ideas?
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lahlooha said:
    Inspirational.

Any ideas?
    @lahlooha big range depending on if you use granite, type of wood, wheels, etc.  They can range from $50 to thousands.  I spent about $250 on mine.
    Options
    lahlooha said:
    Inspirational.

Any ideas?
    8/4 domestic cypress $5.70bf 33bf $188
    4/4 domestic cypress. $4.50bf. 24bf. $108
    Axel 11.40
    Shaft collars $3.50
    4" casters $13
    10" solid rubber wheels $18.00
    Blum drawer slides $30.00
    Blum hinges $13.00
    Granite $125.00
    Total materials. ~$510.00
    Add 10% cypress BF for waste
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I really like it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • NoJokeSmoke
    Options
    Beautiful table! and love the shop too!

I totally agree with air space.  I woke up at 4:00 AM with mine blazing from an all-day slow cook followed by a 500 + degree cook.  I shut down at 10:00 PM and went to bed.  Tile on top of paver stones held up by 2 X 4's.  Heat transferred through a nail in the wood and started the fire.  Luckily, I got up when I realized the smoke I was smelling wasn't pecan smoke from my cloths. I sat on a chair hosing it down for well over and hour until the smoke and steam were no more.

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    If there's ever been an argument for air gap this may be the poster child....a little insurance never hurts.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    edited July 2016
    Options
    HOLLY MOLLY, great wood workshop!!!
  • LBH
    Options
    Beautiful table! and love the shop too!

I totally agree with air space.  I woke up at 4:00 AM with mine blazing from an all-day slow cook followed by a 500 + degree cook.  I shut down at 10:00 PM and went to bed.  Tile on top of paver stones held up by 2 X 4's.  Heat transferred through a nail in the wood and started the fire.  Luckily, I got up when I realized the smoke I was smelling wasn't pecan smoke from my cloths. I sat on a chair hosing it down for well over and hour until the smoke and steam were no more.

You have compelled me to order a piece of high temp silicon sheet from McMaster Carr to place between the egg and granite.  Cheap insurance with the added benefit of providing a cushion between two hard surfaces.  
  • LBH
    Options
    I put up some racks for lumber today. I have some large projects and I needed to get it off the floor 

yesterday I finished a little cart for small pieces. 

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Those aren't faces, they are Tiki masks. Now I need a Mai Tai!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • BBQpilot
    BBQpilot Posts: 26
    Options
    @LBH Did you "burn" the wood then sand it to achieve the desired tone? I'm building a cedar cart an would love to try this! Thanks.
  • LBH
    Options
    BBQpilot said:
    @LBH Did you "burn" the wood then sand it to achieve the desired tone? I'm building a cedar cart an would love to try this! Thanks.
    No Sanding.  Pull the soot off the soft grain with repeated strokes using a large brass brush (pictured)  Do not brush across the grain or aggressively back and forth. Long easy strokes.  Do not use a wire brush. 

• LBH
    Options
    @BBQpilot You are essentially "pulling" the soot off
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @LBH - that table is absolutely beautiful! As is your other work. 

The extra space around the egg (created by raising the egg up a smidge), may not be a bad thing. There are some here who had a table fire start from the egg base making contact with the rim of the table top.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    That's an awesome table that will last fer years!!!  My 1st table was made out of cedar but I am upgrading to a SS table due to the size and increased table top to put my Mini Max on top not to mention it has tons of pot holders over head fer all kinds of goodies!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • BBQpilot
    BBQpilot Posts: 26
    Options
  • LBH
    Options
    @BBQpilot
    If you decide to build one and need more info or help send me a msg.
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    Very nice work on the table,brudda.  Beautifully done.  Your shop is incredible and I love that it is spotlessly clean.  A man after my own heart, your patience is legendary...thank you for sharing.
    LBGE