Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Both my eggs...

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    Did you buy it new or used?
    New. $1600 delivered to my door. 
    Not bad at all. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Watcha got growing in your old base? Herbs?  Looks good brotha!  
    Used to be jalapeños and herbs but those are weeds :). It's rained so much here we didn't get our veggies in this year. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i noticed that fat cap.... it looks like jelly.  i bet you could do some ridiculous pork belly in that thing.   

i may swing down to austin this fall.  if you see someone checking out the dishwasher on your back porch, please don't shoot me
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    blind99 said:
    i noticed that fat cap.... it looks like jelly.  i bet you could do some ridiculous pork belly in that thing.   

i may swing down to austin this fall.  if you see someone checking out the dishwasher on your back porch, please don't shoot me
    CT won't shoot you, but you may see watermelons flying at you. Your best refuge may be the pool, though it's filled mostly with urine since the only thing getting above the water is his eyes and nose due to the heat.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    blind99 said:
    If only he could get his hands on some decent pork belly, that'd be something to see
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    Not bad at all. 
    @SGH Especially if you roll with wheel barrels full of Benjamin's like ***  Figure I'd beat you to the punch. :wink:  In all seriousness that isn't bad especially if it'll get good usage. Heck it's only money. We can't take it with us when we become worm food. Looks to be a double walled 304SS (or maybe 316 or 402)? @The Cen-Tex Smoker Specs on it?  Disregard my question if this has already been discussed. I didn't read every comment in the thread yet.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,567
    Options
    Damn, did someone say this forum is a money pit  =)  
    Is this the same as yours?
    https://www.amazon.com/KBQ-C-60-SS-BBQ-Smoker/dp/B00JVCXY7O
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    Damnit, I don't have room for another cooker. Time to pour that slab I guess. I wonder how it would stand up to weather? Not just monsoons, but the winter crap we put up with here north of the Mason Dixon.
    Materials wise it is all good quality stainless steel so no worries there. The control box does contain electrical motors but they are sealed and not likely bothered by the weather. The heat of the unit (and it does get HOT) should eliminate any concerns about them freezing up.

One potential problem would be heavy rain. The control box itself probably wouldn't be too much of a problem. However, both the control box and firebox simply lay on top of the cook chamber and heavy rain could/would, given the flat surface of the cook chamber easily drain into the cook chamber. That would not be a real problem with the firebox slot but could be problematic with the holes for the control box. The control box has two fans - one that acts like a fan in a convection oven and seems to run full time to move the air/heat/smoke around in the cook chamber and the other is the exhaust fan that basically sucks/pulls air out of the cook chamber which then suck air/heat/smoke down from the firebox.

My guess is that in heavy rains any water that hits those fans while trying to drain into the cook chamber might mess up the electronics or thermostat.  In any case the inventor of the KBQ does not recommend that it be used during rainy weather.

I plan to make some sort of shield/shelter so if I get caught up in a typical afternoon thunderstorm I can keep rain from hitting the KBQ itself.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

This is what perfectly rendered fat looks like. And it tastes even better. 

That, sir, is insane. Made me weak in the knees for a bit.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Damnit, I don't have room for another cooker. Time to pour that slab I guess. I wonder how it would stand up to weather? Not just monsoons, but the winter crap we put up with here north of the Mason Dixon.
    The control box (with the electronics) would need to be covered or indoors in bad weather. The other 2 pcs are stainless steel boxes. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

BBQBuddy said:
    I wish I was your neighbor.
    I think you have pretty fantastic neighbors already.

@The Cen-Tex Smokercan cook, but the late night parties and fireworks would get old.
    I assure you they would not. 
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Did you put a meat thermometer in it after you wrapped it?
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• blind99
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I have three kids. Urine just doesn't faze me anymore :)

@20stone is your hippy pig farm down in that area?
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Awesome looking brisket.  The dishwasher is new to me....

Must be nice to have that The Cen-Tex Smoker money buried in mason jars in the backyard !!!  If I had that kind of money, I'd trade the wife's dishwasher in on one like yours !!!

I love the results !!

Thanks for posting and enlightening my dishwasher education !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    caliking said:

Weak in the knees is your baseline.  Some of us are trying to make you strong in the knees but you resist.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

Weak in the knees is your baseline.  Some of us are trying to make you strong in the knees but you resist.
    I resist because I know those "some of us".

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Indeed, it is.  We will be knee deep in dirty hippy hairy hog in 5 days
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    And to get this thread back on topic, that sure is a clean brisket.  That's a very intriguing dishwasher.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Did you put a meat thermometer in it after you wrapped it?
    no. I didn't wrap during the cook. I wrapped it and turned the temp down to 140 when it felt right right. It was around 195 most spots. I held it in there for about an hour or so at 140. that was pretty cool to be able to dial the temp down and use the rest of the wood to keep it warm while I was holding it. worked really well.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    blind99 said:
    If only he could get his hands on some decent pork belly, that'd be something to see
    hmmm. you know anyone?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn, did someone say this forum is a money pit  =)  
    Is this the same as yours?
    https://www.amazon.com/KBQ-C-60-SS-BBQ-Smoker/dp/B00JVCXY7O
    That is the one.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    Not bad at all. 
    @SGH Especially if you roll with wheel barrels full of Benjamin's like ***  Figure I'd beat you to the punch. :wink:  In all seriousness that isn't bad especially if it'll get good usage. Heck it's only money. We can't take it with us when we become worm food. Looks to be a double walled 304SS (or maybe 316 or 402)? @The Cen-Tex Smoker Specs on it?  Disregard my question if this has already been discussed. I didn't read every comment in the thread yet.  
    it's actually single walled. It's designed to lose heat so it can suck in more smoke. it's the opposite of a bge.  Very fuel inefficient by design. I bet I went through 30# of wood to cook an 8 lb brisket. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    It cooks fine in low temps, just uses a little more fuel. he recommends keeping the control box out of the elements when not in use. I would have a cover made for it if you were planning on leaving it outside. as mentioned by Heavy G- it will get rain inside of it if you leave it out. it won't hurt it- it's 100% stainless and it has drain holes on the floor- but it sounds messy.

I don't see it doing well if exposed to heavy rain. The firebox is on top and open. It comes with a lid but I don't think I would want the control box out in rain either.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    ^^^ #feedmemorewood But, hey that's back to basics in the smoked protein world. Lawd knows my old smallish R.F. Offset ate fuel.  However, the results were worth the effort. Gotta love having another vessel to add to the arsenal. :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    Options
    20stone said:
    blind99 said:
    dirty hippy hairy hog sounds like a great time, hopefully you'll be able to share some pix
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    blind99 said:
    20stone said:
    blind99 said:
    dirty hippy hairy hog sounds like a great time, hopefully you'll be able to share some pix
    I have caught a glimpse of the dirty hippy hairy hog and the minis that come with it. Marbling on them suckers is jaw dropping.
    Austin, Tx
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Never even heard of the Dirty Hippie Hairy Hog....until reading this discussion....now I want one !!!!!

marble-meat

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/meet-mangalitsa-hairy-pig-thats-kobe-beef-pork/

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• 20stone
    edited June 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:
    20stone said:
    blind99 said:
    Given the tone of the discussion surrounding the effort, there may be no pix that we are able to share on a public forum.

In the meantime, here is the hairy hog in question (along with some pre-bacon):

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Never even heard of the Dirty Hippie Hairy Hog....until reading this discussion....now I want one !!!!!

marble-meat

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/meet-mangalitsa-hairy-pig-thats-kobe-beef-pork/
    That's what I'm talking about. We have about 300 lbs of that headed our way this weekend. And 4 little piggies to feed our habit for the next 2 years. I can wait to get some of this on the kbq. And my eggs. I love my eggs. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    That is exactly how dangerous slippery slopes develop.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX