Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Appetizer That You Will Ever Eat.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    It is every bit as delicious as you stated.  
    It's one of those things that just sounds to simple to be as good as it actually is. Everyone that I have ever served it to is just blown away by it. When I tell them what's in it, they think that I'm lying or holding back. It is simply one of the best things that you will ever make for less than 15 bucks. Glad to hear that you enjoy it to my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnmitchell
    Options
    I am about to hit the store to get the ingredients..We have to take something to a New Years party... So I am going to give this a dry run tonight..Thanks again..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    I am about to hit the store to get the ingredients..We have to take something to a New Years party... So I am going to give this a dry run tonight..Thanks again..
    You will not be disappointed my friend. Just follow my amounts to the T and you will be amazed at how good this really is. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I'm going to make one for NYE. That and a Kobe black grade SRF brisket should set us up well!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    That and a Kobe black grade SRF brisket 
    Now you are just showing off ;)
    On a serious note, that loaf will make a spectacular appetizer while waiting on the brisket. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @SGH Scotty that looks mighty good. I would have to make one change, forget the bell pepper and add in pickled jalapeno slices.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @SGH Scotty that looks mighty good. I would have to make one change, forget the bell pepper and add in pickled jalapeno slices.
    You can certainly do that my friend. I have made it with no peppers at all, just onion and they turn out great. I like bell pepper and thus I add it. But you can certainly omit it and/or add the pepper of your choice. The main thing is to use the 2 different sausages, the cheese, the egg, and the Ritz crackers. The greenery is just a compliment, not a necessity. However I feel that the onion does add a great enhancer to the mix. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Options

@SGH Hell we may just make these at an Eggfest this year.

Now serving "Scottie's Balls"!

Yep we can put that on our table sign!!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Hotch said:hi

Along with calamari :open_mouth: 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Hotch
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    Hotch said:hi

Along with calamari :open_mouth: 

That's is farther down the road.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    meatloaf on a stick! great idea @SGH any food on a stick is always better 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    SGH said:
    tonyled said:
     try rolling them in balls and baking on parchment paper, might be easier for you to serve as an appetizer

I have my friend. I just prefer to use the pan method. With the pan you do not lose the grease. Also you won't lose any of the cheese. The cheese and soaking in the grease is honestly what makes this so good. Once it's cooked, it doesn't have to be served in small chunks, it can be served in slices like meat loaf. Give this pan method a try and see what you think. 

i will do that!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Thanks, going to make this over the weekend!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Bookmarked.  That will be at next family gathering. Thanks for the recipe
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I HATE bell pepper. Literally cant eat anything with it cooked in it. Reckon how many jalapenos would work without burning my lips off?
    #1 Son allergic to bell peppers, so I substitute roasted poblanos for bell peppers.  Poblanos are milder than jalapeños.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    Thanks, going to make this over the weekend!
    Let me know what you think of it my friend. We absolutley love it. It's always a huge hit. 

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Is this better than "properly prepared" pig anus? 
  • SGH
    Options
    Is this better than "properly prepared" pig anus? 
    I guess that depends on if you like calamari or sausage the best. Most people who have never tried the sausage loaf are usually really shocked by just how good it really is. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Made this today, smoked as required. Absolutely killer. Great with My Beautiful Wife's smoked Bloody Mary's. Angioplasty going well for those concerned.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Absolutely killer. 
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ says it all. Glad that y'all enjoyed it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:
    Absolutely killer. 
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ says it all. Glad that y'all enjoyed it my friend. 
    Side note: MBW, and friends are NOT fans of green peppers. However, with the velocity in which these vanished, I have to say, they certainly added much to the final flavor. Thank you again for sharing this recipe. I have been asked to bring it for NYE and NYD football parties. This has been bookmarked forever.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    @YukonRon
    I have a version of a Tater Tot Casserole that pairs with the sausage loaf like peanut butter and jelly. The two served together is a full course meal instead of a appetizer. The TTC is as good or better than the sausage loaf. I'm going to post it this weekend as well. Give it a try to my friend. I think that you will like it as much as the SL. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    @YukonRon
    I have a version of a Tater Tot Casserole that pairs with the sausage loaf like peanut butter and jelly. The two served together is a full course meal instead of a appetizer. The TTC is as good or better than the sausage loaf. I'm going to post it this weekend as well. Give it a try to my friend. I think that you will like it as much as the SL. 
    Roger That my Friend!!!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This has me inspired.  I'm thinking about something like this, but I just don't know what to call it.... take a elongated meatball of this stuff....like a koobideh...wrap it around a stick.  Put that stick with the meat stuff through some "calamari".   The name eludes me...stick in the somethin...hmmmm

This has me inspired.  I'm thinking about something like this, but I just don't know what to call it.... take a elongated meatball of this stuff....like a koobideh...wrap it around a stick.  Put that stick with the meat stuff through some "calamari".   The name eludes me...stick in the somethin...hmmmm

Could be a knock off of "Toad in the hole".. just substitute toad for turd..
  • SGH
    Options
    This has me inspired.  I'm thinking about something like this, but I just don't know what to call it.... 

Give it a try brother, I think that you will be pleased. Just call it sausage loaf or hippy pie ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I HATE bell pepper. Literally cant eat anything with it cooked in it. Reckon how many jalapenos would work without burning my lips off?
    I substitute roasted poblanos for bell peppers
    You can use any kind of pepper that you like or omitt the pepper altogether. I have made it both with and without the pepper and it's great either way. 

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks great, but since it isn't oysters on the half shell with straight horseradish, it will forever be #2.  =)
  • SGH
    Options
    Looks great, but since it isn't oysters on the half shell with straight horseradish, it will forever be #2.  =)
    As awesome as it is, it does take second place to oysters. However a lot of folks don't have access to good fresh oysters, thus it could be there #1 ;) If you have never tried, give it a go and see what you think. 

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Ok guys and gals...You have to try this, I served it as a Wednesday night meal with mashed potatoes and heirloom tomatoes.. Stunning and so easy.. Thanks Scottie..