Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

1300930103011301230133015»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,731
    Pete Rose’s lifetime ban is over. Induct the man into the HOF. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,202
    ColtsFan said:
    Suffering through a Verizon outage.  Rely on phone for so many things when not at home.  I fell like it is 1992 again.
    What's extremely odd to me is that my personal phone has zero service. SOS

My work phone, which is also Verizon, full signal and has been fine all day.

Same carrier
    Same model phone
    Same geographical area
    My entire immediate family all had SOS until 2pm.  Friend right next door had no issues.  Looking forward to seeing the overall cause.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    He should have been indicted a long time ago.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,567
    That is the passing of two greats in their respective sports in their time.  For those who are wondering-give them a search and see what they offered to basketball and baseball.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Taking advantage of a cooler evening.  96 deg.

Enjoying a nice brewed tea, a sunset, and making spaghetti sauce.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,039
    edited 1:28AM
    The Dislike was mine.  I didn't realize pete rose had passed; CBS didn't report it tonight, and PBS reported "the passing of two titans", Dikembe Mutombo and... Kris Kristofferson (sp?)  (and I missed @Battleborn 's post on the previous page, where I just got the proper spelling of Mutombo's name).  

Regardless, my "Dislike" stands.  Because I'd been raised by strict but ethical parents, I'd always believed that you got ahead by Obeying the Law, Following the Rules, Working Hard, and Doing the Right Thing.  After 40+ years and an early retirement driven by Frustration, I now realize that that's not how Life works.  At all.  Cheaters, Liars, good ol' boys, criminals and Loudmouths will mostly (not always) rise to the top.  I get it, now.  That is how LIfe works.  
    And pete rose deserves NO further glorification; I don't care if he's dead.  /soapbox     

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    The Dislike was mine.  I didn't realize pete rose had passed; CBS didn't report it tonight, and PBS reported "the passing of two titans", Dikembe Mutombo and... Kris Kristofferson (sp?)  (and I missed @Battleborn 's post on the previous page, where I just got the proper spelling of Mutombo's name).  

Regardless, my "Dislike" stands.  Because I'd been raised by strict but ethical parents, I'd always believed that you got ahead by Obeying the Law, Following the Rules, Working Hard, and Doing the Right Thing.  After 40+ years and an early retirement driven by Frustration, I now realize that that's not how Life works.  At all.  Cheaters, Liars, good ol' boys, criminals and Loudmouths will mostly (not always) rise to the top.  I get it, now.  That is how LIfe works.  
    And pete rose deserves NO further glorification; I don't care if he's dead.  /soapbox     
    You can live ethically and one should, and still do extremely well.

on the graduated scale of ethics, Pete Rose doesn’t even touch unethical by the standards of the 80s, 90s or aughts.  Probably not even his era.  He was lambasted because he refused to apologize to the MLB overlords.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,085
    Botch said:

on the graduated scale of ethics, Pete Rose doesn’t even touch unethical by the standards of the 80s, 90s or aughts.  Probably not even his era.  He was lambasted because he refused to apologize to the MLB overlords.
    Any player, umpire or club or league official or employee who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.''

Baseball rule 21, posted in every professional clubhouse, since 1920.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch said:

“Any player, umpire or club or league official or employee who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.''

Thank you.  
    Our very US Constitution is now being ignored in the exact same manner.  

• Botch
    And @Buffalo /@Hannah/Heather/Heidi/Hepsibah/whatever your name was, please don't sink this thread because of my comments, rather, just nix my posts; thnx.  

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,501
    Botch said:

“Any player, umpire or club or league official or employee who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.''

The only problem with that is The Baseball Hall of Fame is not run or operated by the MLB. He is, without a doubt a Hall of Fame player. His lifetime ban remained and he was not embraced by the League. He should be there with Bonds, Clemens and Schilling. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,501
    Taking advantage of a cooler evening.  96 deg.

Enjoying a nice brewed tea, a sunset, and making spaghetti sauce.

That tea is better than anything produced across the big pond. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    Botch said:

The only problem with that is The Baseball Hall of Fame is not run or operated by the MLB. He is, without a doubt a Hall of Fame player. His lifetime ban remained and he was not embraced by the League. He should be there with Bonds, Clemens and Schilling. 
    I actually wasn’t arguing, one way or another, as to whether he should be in the Hall of Fame.  

I was only taking issue with the assertion Ozzie made that Rose’s sin was relatively venial in nature.  On the contrary, betting on baseball has been a cardinal sin in MLB for over a century.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:

I actually wasn’t arguing, one way or another, as to whether he should be in the Hall of Fame.  

I was only taking issue with the assertion Ozzie made that Rose’s sin was relatively venial in nature.  On the contrary, betting on baseball has been a cardinal sin in MLB for over a century.

He should be HOF as a player, not a manager.  His “cardinal sin” occurred as a manager.  Steroids are a way bigger sin, they damage everyone in the game.  MLB doesn’t really work to address or punish because it makes the game more exciting for highlights and the casual watcher.  It is all big money entertainment, MLB hates Pete because he kept giving them the middle finger.

• Botch
    Battleborn said:
    His lifetime ban remained and he was not embraced by the League. He should be there with Bonds, Clemens and Schilling. 
    No.  bonds, clemens and schilling should be there with rose: banned. 

• DoubleEgger
    Botch said:
    Battleborn said:
    His lifetime ban remained and he was not embraced by the League. He should be there with Bonds, Clemens and Schilling. 
    No.  bonds, clemens and schilling should be there with rose: banned. 
    They should have banned the entire Astros organization for life according to your logic. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,213
    Schilling should 100% be in the HOF
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,567
    I offer you"Shoeless" Joe Jackson.  
    Regarding the near term Astros-If Rob Manfred had a spine he would have vacated the title in 2018 but no chance as the $$ rule the world.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited 3:26AM
    lousubcap said:
    I offer you"Shoeless" Joe Jackson.  
    Regarding the near term Astros-If Rob Manfred had a spine he would have vacated the title in 2018 but no chance as the $$ rule the world.  
    100% agree with vacating the WS title.  The Astrix will always be that for me.  Should have banned every player for life too.

• JohnInCarolina
    edited 10:47AM
    Botch said:

He should be HOF as a player, not a manager.  His “cardinal sin” occurred as a manager.  
    “Any player, umpire or club or league official or employee” - pretty sure that covers managers.  

Again, you guys keep arguing about the HOF.  I’m just pointing out that what he did was considered plenty terrible at the time.  Subsequent bad acts by others don’t really change that calculus.

• DoubleEgger
    edited 11:09AM
    Bad acts as a coach does not change the fact that his acts as player are HOF worthy. 

Also he fulfilled his punishment of the lifetime ban. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,634
    Botch said:

just have your assistant place the bets..

ah....AH....AHHHH...Otahani...

Bless me..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Bad acts as a coach does not change the fact that his acts as player are HOF worthy. 

Also he fulfilled his punishment of the lifetime ban. 
    Again, not the argument I’m making.

Regardless, as I understand it, for him to even be put on the ballot would require the commish to approve it.  The current one seemed to indicate that wouldn’t happen, even after Rose passed away.  We’ll see if that changes, but I kind of doubt it.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Apparently me this interesting:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,050
    That's MLB having it both ways. They would get ripped for purging him completely, and it would be wrong.

Similar with Barry Bonds.  He could've been in the HOF for his time with Pittsburg alone, the smaller hat years.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Legume said:
    That's MLB having it both ways. They would get ripped for purging him completely, and it would be wrong.

Similar with Barry Bonds.  He could've been in the HOF for his time with Pittsburg alone, the smaller hat years.
    I sometimes forget it’s all entertainment and big business.  The sport doesn’t matter.  At least WWE is honest about it.

• DoubleEgger
    Eating at the best BBQ place in the ATL. The tire people recommend it as well.