Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,054
    Headed up to NYC for the week.  Participating in the selection committee for the DOE's CSGF:

https://www.krellinst.org/csgf/
    Be careful up there, I hear it's really dangerous.
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,143
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - Better to be lucky than good with a week in NYC.  Enjoy any exploring you can get.
    I'm sure that when you get down to the last few selectees it can get pretty challenging.  
    As a point of reference, several of the students in the pool at this stage are Rhodes Scholars.  And we’re not even in the final round yet.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Legume said:
    Headed up to NYC for the week.  Participating in the selection committee for the DOE's CSGF:

https://www.krellinst.org/csgf/
    Be careful up there, I hear it's really dangerous.
    I’ve heard that too.  Total “craphole city” or something.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,225
    I love NYC and I love LA.  Chicago is okay.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,357
    I'm malnourished, dehydrated, have a sore gut and a headache from caffeine withdrawal.  Yep, it's colonoscopy time and the prep procedure is still like some form of medieval (evil?) torture.
    Mrs. Cooper is calling me a whiner, that will stop in about 3 hours when I am enjoying a reward brunch. 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,411
    They pumped so much air in me the last colonoscopy, I farted and farted and farted.......
    Mrs.C was very supportive laughing and laughing and laughing......

Have fun at brunch
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Taking a break from reading applications.  

The university did a little write-up on some of my research recently, some of you might be interested:

https://pratt.duke.edu/news/duke-researchers-find-new-dimensions-in-decades-old-strength-test/
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 418
    Too bad the article didn't go into what the actual stress field/fracture environment looks like. But it was still a very interesting teaser. Caveat, I have zero experience or training for concrete; all my brittle materials background was for aerospace applications. So it's easy to interest me and equally easy to immediately go way, way over my head.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,219
    I usually don't go wondering around Walmart as it's usually one or two items that I need and I know where to find them. My local Walmart was out of the specific synthetic motor oil that I needed so I stopped at the neighboring city Walmart. Not knowing where I was going I accidentally bumped into some RTIC coolers sitting on the shelf. How long has Walmart carried RTIC coolers? I had no idea. They offered a few different versions of hard and soft sided coolers. Only if Lit was still around. I could only imagine what he'd have to say about RTIC coolers being at Walmart. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,660
    WeberWho said:
    I usually don't go wondering around Walmart as it's usually one or two items that I need and I know where to find them. My local Walmart was out of the specific synthetic motor oil that I needed so I stopped at the neighboring city Walmart. Not knowing where I was going I accidentally bumped into some RTIC coolers sitting on the shelf. How long has Walmart carried RTIC coolers? I had no idea. They offered a few different versions of hard and soft sided coolers. Only if Lit was still around. I could only imagine what he'd have to say about RTIC coolers being at Walmart. 

these things popularity were like laser disc's..quick in and quick out..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,756
    edited March 19
    $52 for a wheeled cooler is a deal. Whitewalls too! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    billt01 said:
    WeberWho said:

these things popularity were like laser disc's..quick in and quick out..
    Yeti still has the name and the price though, every bit as good as my peak rotomolded found at Aldi's in the Aldi find isle for 30 bucks😆
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    edited March 19
    Taking a break from reading applications.  

The university did a little write-up on some of my research recently, some of you might be interested:

https://pratt.duke.edu/news/duke-researchers-find-new-dimensions-in-decades-old-strength-test/

if you can break up my gallstones i would be appreciative =)

have another failure that came in on a ss shaft. never seen one fail this way but it looks like your concrete breaking. the shaft broke the long way, longitudinal. i suspect its a drawn bar, putting in a forged piece. it literally broke the long way about 3 feet long where it sat in a bearing, the shaft was supported on one end with alot of force pushing on the other nonsupported end. this is a raw sewage piece, hoping my shots are all up to date =) you can just barely make it out in the sun

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    A memoir of my doctoral advisor, Ted Belytschko, has recently been posted at the National Academy of Sciences:

https://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/belytschko-ted-b.pdf

His life story is, unfortunately, all too relevant today. 
  • WeberWho
    @GrateEggspectations
    @Canugghead

Nicky Nicky 9 Door? Is that what, "Ding Dong Ditch" is called in Canada? I watched a random short news clip last night about some guy running over a couple kids after Nicky Nicky 9 Door. Any idea where that phrase came from? I never heard of it prior to the news story. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    WeberWho said:
    @GrateEggspectations
    @Canugghead

Nicky Nicky 9 Door? Is that what, "Ding Dong Ditch" is called in Canada? I watched a random short news clip last night about some guy running over a couple kids after Nicky Nicky 9 Door. Any idea where that phrase came from? I never heard of it prior to the news story. 

never heard of either. looked it up, people have lost there minds. everyone did this when i grew up, ring door bells, smash pumpkins etc. seems better than bed rotting  as the kids  do now.

from wiki on ding dong ditch

On 13 June 2011, Michael Bishop, a 56-year-old man, shot at a group of children playing ding dong ditch at his house in Louisville, Kentucky. A 12-year-old boy was hit in the back with a shotgun blast and was taken to Kosair Children's Hospital "with what police call non-life-threatening injuries". The shooter was charged with attempted murder.[18] On 8 December 2015, his final day in office, outgoing Kentucky governor Steve Beshear issued 197 pardons,[32] including a pardon for Bishop.[33]

A 14-year-old Oklahoma teenager, Cole Peyton, was shot in the back and arm while playing "ding dong ditch" in the early hours of New Year's Day of 2016.[34][35]

Dean Taylor, a 63-year-old coach and former San Francisco Police Department officer, was arrested following an incident involving an 11-year-old boy who rang his doorbell in San Rafael, California on 12 February 2021. After two boys rang his door and ran, Taylor chased the boys in a vehicle, cut off one of the youths and emerged from the car. Then he allegedly grabbed one 11-year-old boy by the neck, pushed him to the ground and forced him into his vehicle. He drove the terrified boy around the block, and allegedly told the boy that he would "put a bullet in his head" if the prank happened again. He dropped the boy off near Point San Pedro Road and Loch Lomond Drive, and police were called. Taylor faces felony charges including kidnapping, making criminal threats, false imprisonment, battery and child endangerment.[36]

A California man, Anurag Chandra, 42, faces several murder charges for his role in the Temescal Canyon Road crash on 24 January 2020. After one of the boys had been dared, all six teenagers drove to a nearby home on Mojeska Summit Road in Corona, about 50 miles southeast of Los Angeles. The boy rang the doorbell and returned to the 2002 Prius that they were riding in, and the group took off. Chandra, who lives at the home, chased after them in his 2019 Infiniti Q50. His car rammed into the back of the Prius, causing it to veer off the road and into a tree. Daniel Hawkins, Jacob Ivascu and Drake Ruiz, all 16-year-old passengers, were killed in the crash. The 18-year-old driver and two other boys, ages 13 and 14, were injured but survived.[37] In 2023, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.[38]

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    A memoir of my doctoral advisor, Ted Belytschko, has recently been posted at the National Academy of Sciences:

https://www.nasonline.org/publications/biographical-memoirs/memoir-pdfs/belytschko-ted-b.pdf

His life story is, unfortunately, all too relevant today. 

dedicated man to say the least. hope mine reads, he went fishing....then let my stories be told
    fukahwee maine

• WeberWho
    WeberWho said:
    @GrateEggspectations
    @Canugghead

never heard of either. looked it up, people have lost there minds. everyone did this when i grew up, ring door bells, smash pumpkins etc. seems better than bed rotting  as the kids  do now.

from wiki on ding dong ditch

On 13 June 2011, Michael Bishop, a 56-year-old man, shot at a group of children playing ding dong ditch at his house in Louisville, Kentucky. A 12-year-old boy was hit in the back with a shotgun blast and was taken to Kosair Children's Hospital "with what police call non-life-threatening injuries". The shooter was charged with attempted murder.[18] On 8 December 2015, his final day in office, outgoing Kentucky governor Steve Beshear issued 197 pardons,[32] including a pardon for Bishop.[33]

A 14-year-old Oklahoma teenager, Cole Peyton, was shot in the back and arm while playing "ding dong ditch" in the early hours of New Year's Day of 2016.[34][35]

Dean Taylor, a 63-year-old coach and former San Francisco Police Department officer, was arrested following an incident involving an 11-year-old boy who rang his doorbell in San Rafael, California on 12 February 2021. After two boys rang his door and ran, Taylor chased the boys in a vehicle, cut off one of the youths and emerged from the car. Then he allegedly grabbed one 11-year-old boy by the neck, pushed him to the ground and forced him into his vehicle. He drove the terrified boy around the block, and allegedly told the boy that he would "put a bullet in his head" if the prank happened again. He dropped the boy off near Point San Pedro Road and Loch Lomond Drive, and police were called. Taylor faces felony charges including kidnapping, making criminal threats, false imprisonment, battery and child endangerment.[36]

A California man, Anurag Chandra, 42, faces several murder charges for his role in the Temescal Canyon Road crash on 24 January 2020. After one of the boys had been dared, all six teenagers drove to a nearby home on Mojeska Summit Road in Corona, about 50 miles southeast of Los Angeles. The boy rang the doorbell and returned to the 2002 Prius that they were riding in, and the group took off. Chandra, who lives at the home, chased after them in his 2019 Infiniti Q50. His car rammed into the back of the Prius, causing it to veer off the road and into a tree. Daniel Hawkins, Jacob Ivascu and Drake Ruiz, all 16-year-old passengers, were killed in the crash. The 18-year-old driver and two other boys, ages 13 and 14, were injured but survived.[37] In 2023, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.[38]

Yeah, that's nuts! We had a homeowner once chase after us through the woods in the middle of the night after ding dong ditching his house. (He never caught up but we absolutely deserved a smack in the back of the head if he would have ran us down.) I always thought that was pretty harmless as a kid. For some reason I must have felt bad for the homeowners as I really never participated in TPing or egging someone's house when my buddies went out to cause some trouble. 

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    WeberWho said:
    @GrateEggspectations
    @Canugghead

Never heard of that. 

What do you call this in :murica:, Glock Glock 45 Driveway?https://youtu.be/98gHBwpNtdY?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    edited March 20
    @Canugghead did you guys let Pickton get out on parole yet? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @WeberWho

Never heard that name, nor played that game as a child. Seems mostly like an innocent nuisance, though I expect that repeated occurrences could create anger, if not fear. Could be unnerving for any homeowner who has felt they needed to watch their backs as a result of harassment, abuse, active restraining orders, etc. My quick reading of the cases described doesn’t seem to feature these aspects. Seems like terrible and tragic overreactions. 

Frankly, I don’t really like anyone coming to my door that I don’t know, unless I’ve been alerted to it in advance. I absolutely despise door-to-door salespeople and canvassers and have been known to employ “no soliciting” signs - not because I fear trouble, but because I like to seek transactions of the kind on my own time, not on theirs, at moments that interrupt my personal affairs. I won’t dignify the method of engagement with a transaction. Kind of akin to not making small donations at the cashier counter of retailers when making purchases - out of principle, I do not support social pressure or even inconvenience just to facilitate corporate tax breaks. 

….Now I’m just ranting and am veering off topic.

@alaskanassasin

Eligible to apply for day parole, as expect you may have seen. It is true that some of the sentences are unbelievably brief and in my opinion, inappropriate. Beyond that, some offenders out on bail/parole face little-to-no consequences for violation of their restrictions for serious crimes; nor do the sureties who have accepted legal responsibility for their compliance under threat of significant monetary penalties. Shameful, really. Especially for crimes with high rates of recidivism. 

It seems you guys are working me up today. I think I am done now. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,756
    edited March 20
    @GrateEggspectations The fear is created elsewhere and taken out on children participating in classic pranks, people turning around in driveways etc. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,054
    I did all of that and more as a kid, but people weren't as on edge or intolerant back then.
    Not a felon
  • fishlessman
    edited March 20
    @WeberWho

Never heard that name, nor played that game as a child. Seems mostly like an innocent nuisance, though I expect that repeated occurrences could create anger, if not fear. Could be unnerving for any homeowner who has felt they needed to watch their backs as a result of harassment, abuse, active restraining orders, etc. My quick reading of the cases described doesn’t seem to feature these aspects. Seems like terrible and tragic overreactions. 

for kids the day before halloween was similar to the movie......the purge......when i was growing up. we planned for it months earlier with rotten eggs for ammo. mischief or cabbage night, rotten cabbage ;)  we had rotten eggs, soap, wax, sometimes fishing line and a big safety pin to tie a pumpkin up on a high porch to the bumper of the owners car so he could see the pumpkin drop in the morning.   not popular anymore as smashed pumpkins seem to be a thing of the past =) not sure where rotten cabbage came from.....who would do that.  big snake in a mailbox was always good
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    Staying tuned, have fun!
    canuckland
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    @DoubleEgger. Hell no!!! If that was me that sucker would be at the curb. Good luck Mike😂
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WeberWho
    If you're a fan of heat I highly recommend these pickles. Great pickle flavor and actually hot. 

Minnesota