Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,064
    Put it in a tote with sous vide at 120 if you can.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    kl8ton said:

Drilled qty 2 - inch and a quarter holes. (31.75mm)

After 2.5 gallons came out, dispensing slowed as the weight behind it was reduced. Now the bucket is sitting in a sink full of really hot tap water to become more fluid. 
    I float a bucket in 120 degree water for about 18 hrs to get it viscous 
    I do not have this much patience.  One time I left a gallon propped up on a plastic bucket in front of our fireplace.  Too close.  Bucket melted glass jar fell onto hardwood floor.  Shattered. 1 gallon honey clean up.

We bought this bucket a while back. If I had to guess it is in the $300-400 range.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

After 2.5 gallons came out, dispensing slowed as the weight behind it was reduced. Now the bucket is sitting in a sink full of really hot tap water to become more fluid. 
    I do not have this much patience.  One time I left a gallon propped up on a plastic bucket in front of our fireplace.  Too close.  Bucket melted glass jar fell onto hardwood floor.  Shattered. 1 gallon honey clean up.

We bought this bucket a while back. If I had to guess it is in the $300-400 range.  
    Some things you can’t rush. I was going to ask what you paid, thanks!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

Btw you bought this months ago but don’t have time to heat it?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

Btw you bought this months ago but don’t have time to heat it?
    I don't make the rules my man. You're married yeah? 😉
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Possibly years ago.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Ahhh, so it's honey. Yeah... then siphoning was a dumb idea. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001

Don't get me started. 

Great.  You got me started.  :anguished:   

I bought my current place 28 years ago; the previous owners told me they'd already prepaid the next summers' lawn care, one less thing for me to worry about.  Once I figured out that my potable water was well water, and my irrigation/outside water was from the upper reservoirs (and I needed to keep that filter clean of mud/dead grass/fish/frogs), my yard came in beautifully that spring, and was the best on my block (this ain't an idle brag, it was perfect!)
    After my fertilizer/weed/bug company applied their 1996 application, they asked me if I wanted to renew it for '97, I signed up.  Best yard for a couple more years.  
    Then, the company said they'd have to move to a twice-per-year application, the fertilizer companies had changed their "formulations".  This more than doubled my cost, but I reluctantly agreed.  Best yard for a few more years.
    Then, the company said they'd have to move to a four-per-year application, the fertilizer companies had changed their "formulations".  This more than doubled my cost, AGAIN, and I protested, pointing out that my yard was perfect for years with just a single application.  They said they had no choice, so I cancelled their contract, and did it myself.

Next visit to Home Despot, and I notice that Scott's standard fertilizer/weed control bags have been replaced with "Pre-Emergent" bags, only.  The bags were then replaced by Emergents, then Early Spring, Post-Emergent, Spring, Early Summer, Mid-Summer, Arbor Day, Blue Moon Month, Indian Summer, False Fall, Early Snowstorm, Late Fall, and Snowplough mixes (okay, I may be exaggerating a bit here, but not by much).  I used a Spring mix, then a Fall mix, only.  Soon I didn't have the best yard anymore, then it got worse.  Saw in the news that the lawn/fertilizer companies were now recommending SIX annual applications, so I soldiered on myself.  

Some years later I got approached again by the original lawn service company, who told me they (and the fertilizer companies) had gone back to the 4-treatment system, there was (finally) a huge revolt against the six-treatment money-grab (I'm guessing this whole "mission-creep" BS is regional, I really don't know).  I signed up, and my lawn is starting to look like it did 28 years ago.  It could still be easily done with a once-annual application, but some Ag/Chem CEO needs an ever-longer yacht every couple years, prove me wrong.  

Reading the posts from others above, I know that quite a few of you know a hell of a lot more about lawns/fertilizer than I do, so I'm looking forward to learning more, here.  BUT, no one can convince me that we (at least here in the intermountain West) can't have a perfectly decent lawn, with just ONE application, annually; I have 28 data points, just my yard, but I can see the truth, here.  F*ck the money-grubbers.  :anguished:   

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,978
    That is some red honey wow.
    I’ve never seen that before.  Is that just from a different kind of pollen?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322
    @Botch - Have you had soil tests done?  That is a good starting point to determine what to apply and when.
    The Extension office of land grant universities generally offer this service for a small fee (thinking my last one was $25.).  They will also assist with guidance in correcting any deficiencies you may have.  A valuable resource and a lot of it is free for the asking.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • kl8ton
    🤷‍♂️ I know nothing. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    edited June 2023

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    my new toy

canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    🤷‍♂️ I know nothing. 
    @JohnInCarolina

The label on the bucket says raw, unfiltered. It also says it's "Michigan light". 

It's delicious.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    Yep, I could only guess what they were pollinating but there was a lot of it. My apiary’s tend to run clear gold to darker gold depending on location and season but if you were to set a hive in a highly concentrated single crop or plant variety like almonds or buckwheat or pine forest you can have something like that. I am going to pick up some fireweed honey in Alaska this summer it’s almost clear.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    Yep, I could only guess what they were pollinating but there was a lot of it. My apiary’s tend to run clear gold to darker gold depending on location and season but if you were to set a hive in a highly concentrated single crop or plant variety like almonds or buckwheat or pine forest you can have something like that. I am going to pick up some fireweed honey in Alaska this summer it’s almost clear.
    Will you be doing some assasin-ing?
    Grand Rapids MI
  • alaskanassasin
    kl8ton said:
    Will you be doing some assasin-ing?

Swmbo and I are taking my nephew up for a week.  He is off to college in July, bittersweet, they grow up fast.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    No pun intended ^^^ he is literally a linebacker. We have all exit rows coming and going.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @GrateEggspectations yes a PreM would be very helpful with the weeds. I would think you may want to start in the fall but I don’t know that for sure. Maybe winter weeds aren’t an issue since you spend most of winter covered in snow. 

I can’t see what the AI is in that product you posted but I’m hesitant to recommend any type of fertilizer with a PreM. It’s just not very effective. If there is any chance you could spray a PreM I believe you would be much happier with the results. But if the granular is the only feasible option then I’m sure it’s better than nothing. 

Also, I’d say get the PreM down before the soil temps surpass 50°. Some seeds germinate in the low 50’s so that may be a touch late if you wait until 55°. 

BTW, what type of grass do you have? Fescue, Kentucky blue?
    That was a concern of mine as well, as I worry the fertilizer component may be at odds with my schedule, unless I time it just right. The product is here: https://www.lowes.ca/product/lawn-fertilizer/scotts-turf-builder-weed-prevent-corn-gluten-meal-10-0-0-138761?store_code=3708&cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=11543255263&cq_con=111377415086&cq_term=&cq_med=pla&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_pos=&cq_plt=gp&&cm_mmc=paid_search-_-google-_-shopping_aw_lia_generic_storage-_-71700000075235897&gbraid=0AAAAADiPpoIYzZTHGQNiqCN9v-soHJqk5&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgab7h8eg_wIVkqjICh3VFA5MEAQYASABEgIkVfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds The bag suggests a fall application in addition to spring. 

Thanks for the tip re: 50F. My Thermapen will find yet another use.

Not sure if sprays are allowed here, as we have a lot of restrictions on our lawn care products. 

According to Google, I have cool grasses that are probably bluegrass, bent grass, ryegrass and/or fescuegrasses.

I’m not sure what to think about that product. I do hope that’s not the best you can do in Canada. I have not heard of corn as a PreM, but I’m no expert.

A little reading has me believing this may actually be the best you can legally get in Canada. Sad. If it were me, before I spent $40 a bag on corn and 10% nitrogen I would just use urea (46-0-0) or another cheap nitrogen source to push growth and choke out the weeds with a thick lush lawn. It won’t likely be 100% weed free but it will save you some money.

You may consider a simple soil test to see what your lawn needs. It’s cheap, simple and fairly quick results. Plus it will prevent you from putting down stuff that you don’t need. It will also let you know your PH levels, an important part of nutrient uptake/availability.

With that said, your yard looks good from the pics I have seen so you could just keep what you are doing and be just fine. The things i recommended are more for if you wanted to geek out a bit and take the lawn to the next level. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,978
    Very cool man, thank you for the explanation.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @Botch I would be curious to know what fertilizer could be put down only 1 time a year and be able to keep the yard looking “best in the neighborhood “? I would definitely jump on that train first thing tomorrow morning.

Btw, I was just in your old stomping grounds last week at Hill. We were building a chamber to encase the robots that blast liquid metal onto the landing gear parts to restore them. Very cool place. Got to see a lot of cool things including the F-35’s playing around. 
    Snellville, GA

• alaskanassasin
    44$ for 2lbs of nitrogen and 18lbs of corn. Roughly 3$ in fertilizer and 1.89$ worth of corn.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    kl8ton said:

Two more shots. One indirect sunlight and one not.  

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    Oh that's smooth!
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,487
    Great home engineering right there @Canugghead.  I need to check into that rig.  How many sensors do you have?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Thanks @lousubcap , I got the hub with three sensors, plan to add a pack of five sensors. The hub can support up to ten sensors but apparently you cannot buy ten sensors without going over or under. The valve shut off controller was bought separately.
    https://us.govee.com/collections/smart-sensors/products/wireless-water-leak-detector?variant=41613921124537
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    edited June 2023
    @Botch I would be curious to know what fertilizer could be put down only 1 time a year and be able to keep the yard looking “best in the neighborhood “? I would definitely jump on that train first thing tomorrow morning.

Btw, I was just in your old stomping grounds last week at Hill. We were building a chamber to encase the robots that blast liquid metal onto the landing gear parts to restore them. Very cool place. Got to see a lot of cool things including the F-35’s playing around. 
    So am/would I.  I know its possible as I've lived it for several years.  And if I could have it manufactured and marketed, I know it would sell; but as mentioned above I'm sure the cabal have established their monopoly (manufacturers, big-box stores and distributors) to maximize their own profits.  

Cool that you got to visit Hill.  My last four years I was stuck with the "MILCON manager" job, a far corner used to shove questioning troublemakers into to shut them up.  Several of the projects I was monitoring were to build up the F-35 Maintenance campus, for which much of the funding was diverted to build some fence near the mexican border, my last year.  
    I don't live under the F-35 standard flight path, but it rings right around me just NW of the runways.  I miss the F-16s, they were whisper-quiet compared to the Lightning II's...

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'