Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    @battleborn a tour of Colorado.  That pic is waterdog lake. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    @battleborn a tour of Colorado.  That pic is waterdog lake. 
    Quite close to the treeline?  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    edited July 2022

We have had 5 lobster rolls in 6 days and this one was the best!! Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Right? Cape Elizabeth is awesome. I'm not a lobster fan, I'm in it for the scenery and the early morning beach strolls, and the wind that blows the salty sand into my face, especially when I wake up in the morning with a bunch of face warbles, and I can't tell if they're real, or if I took a stroll on the beach and let the salty sand hit my face, whether they were even warbles at all. Either way I love the beach ... So does my face.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    @botch about a three mile hike in with around 1000’ elevation change.  Lake is about 11,450’
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    edited July 2022
    Cooking chicken.  Drinking Bourbon.  Listening to Audible.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Saw maverick again in theater.  Dang if it wasn't better the second time....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Finished The Terminal List on Prime. Really well done, close enough to the book to stay true, enough differences to have it stand on its own. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    kl8ton said:
    Saw maverick again in theater.  Dang if it wasn't better the second time....
    Wife and I saw it last night. Makes you wanna get in a fighter jet. 
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 589
    My last cut at Great Clips was when I was in my 20's.  The girl kept talking about how she'd just returned from a cruise with all of her girlfriends, and how much her head hurt she was still so hungover.

I walked out of there looking like my head had passed through some kind of a buzzsaw.   It was awful. Nothing was straight.  The next day I actually had to go to another place just to get a buzz cut, since I figured there was no way to screw that up.  The older gentleman cutting my hair asked me what happened, I told him about the girl at Great Clips who was hungover from a cruise, and he insisted on giving me the buzz for free.  
    We have a new one in our neighborhood, went there last week. While waiting I pulled it up on yelp and read the reviews. Walked out just in time and went back downtown where I’m safe.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC

• We have had 5 lobster rolls in 6 days and this one was the best!! Cape Elizabeth, Maine
    I could be wrong, but I think that Bite into Maine was featured on Netflix's show Somebody Feed Phil.  The new season has an episode on Maine.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    Saw it last night @lousubcap, GREAT movie
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,166
    lousubcap said:
    "The distance the wingtips were from the cliffs was probably less than 20 feet."

Whoo boy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    lousubcap said:
    "The distance the wingtips were from the cliffs was probably less than 20 feet."

Whoo boy!
    Ya I clinched up a bit watching that scene and reading that.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316

So now that you're enjoying your outdoor kitchen, what would you change or do different if you were doing it over again? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    SonVolt said:

So now that you're enjoying your outdoor kitchen, what would you change or do different if you were doing it over again? 
    I would have more counter space between my sink, burner, and griddle.  I have 14" (design had 18", but I didn't account for overhangs on equipment) the 24" between my eggs is much better.  I also would have added a wood log shelf under by pizza oven that is quick and easy to get my splits from.  I would have put in a double trash can instead of the single, and added one more set of wide drawers or even a dry pantry.

The mason and GM wasn't super clear on what could/couldn't be done with spacing and cement blocks.  After watching it be built I realize I could have spaced some items differently.  I also would have just added a roof from the start.  The umbrellas work great and I don't mind the sun, but I failed to account for the 150 deg counter tops and just setting tools in the sun they get really hot.

I also would have gotten the larger pizza oven, now that I know how I use it (which is all the time). The larger one would have been a bit to big for the original counter design, but considering the mason built the counter a full 6" wider than designed, the 4Pizze would have fit perfect.

The kitchen is actually so wide that walking across it to get to the counters and stuff is bit annoying.  I would almost like a center island with outlets and more storage.

I use the paper towel holder, sink, and drawers way more than I thought.  I am very glad I have those.  Also glad I have a lot of outlets and that they are all within easy reach, no need to open cabinets or anything.  The tile counter is very nice because I can set hot stuff on it, and I can hose everything down.

I really like it, but would definitely change some things.

TL:DR// Add more storage, a dedicated wood shelf, an island, a roof, and change some of the spacing.

Here are some pics so you can see the layout I discuss above.  The patterned tiles are just sitting there to reduce the grease and stuff in the grout.  I can easily wash them in the sink.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    edited July 2022
    SonVolt said:

I would have more counter space between my sink, burner, and griddle.  I have 14" (design had 18", but I didn't account for overhangs on equipment) the 24" between my eggs is much better.  I also would have added a wood log shelf under by pizza oven that is quick and easy to get my splits from.  I would have put in a double trash can instead of the single, and added one more set of wide drawers or even a dry pantry.

The mason and GM wasn't super clear on what could/couldn't be done with spacing and cement blocks.  After watching it be built I realize I could have spaced some items differently.  I also would have just added a roof from the start.  The umbrellas work great and I don't mind the sun, but I failed to account for the 150 deg counter tops and just setting tools in the sun they get really hot.

I also would have gotten the larger pizza oven, now that I know how I use it (which is all the time). The larger one would have been a bit to big for the original counter design, but considering the mason built the counter a full 6" wider than designed, the 4Pizze would have fit perfect.

The kitchen is actually so wide that walking across it to get to the counters and stuff is bit annoying.  I would almost like a center island with outlets and more storage.

I use the paper towel holder, sink, and drawers way more than I thought.  I am very glad I have those.  Also glad I have a lot of outlets and that they are all within easy reach, no need to open cabinets or anything.  The tile counter is very nice because I can set hot stuff on it, and I can hose everything down.

I really like it, but would definitely change some things.

TL:DR// Add more storage, a dedicated wood shelf, an island, a roof, and change some of the spacing.  

Sounds about right and similar to some of the things I experienced when we built ours. In your case, I would 100% add a big Island with tons of storage and bar seating - I think that would solve much of your issues and really tie the large space together.  Your space looks outstanding either way.

One thing I did do right (on accident) was add a really big sink. Also storage is huge. Having everything you need already outside (cookware, plates, utensils, etc) is so much more convenient than carting it back 'n forth from the house. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    caliking said:

Hair stylists/cutters/aestheticians are all plants, capable of blowing the cover of any person in the Witness Protection Program.
    Ok, yes, thank you for this. Finally an interesting conspiracy theory on a bbq forum that shouldn’t rankle anyone.  Please feel free to expand on this if you can. 
    They have an incredible ability to elicit all kinds of information from you, using what seem like innocuous questions. If at a salon type of place, they tend to have a longer stint, and over time, will get to know a fair bit  about you. The smart ones keep records, so they can seem more personable when you go in for subsequent haircuts.

At the budget chain places, like Great Clips, its usually a revolving door of folks cutting hair, so they don't have the opportunity to sock away that much info about you. 

There. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,166
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Hair stylists/cutters/aestheticians are all plants, capable of blowing the cover of any person in the Witness Protection Program.
    Ok, yes, thank you for this. Finally an interesting conspiracy theory on a bbq forum that shouldn’t rankle anyone.  Please feel free to expand on this if you can. 
    They have an incredible ability to elicit all kinds of information from you, using what seem like innocuous questions. If at a salon type of place, they tend to have a longer stint, and over time, will get to know a fair bit  about you. The smart ones keep records, so they can seem more personable when you go in for subsequent haircuts.

I concur with this.  The lady who cuts my hair these days has known me for about 20 years, and she knows where all of the bodies are buried. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

I concur with this.  The lady who cuts my hair these days has known me for about 20 years, and she knows where all of the bodies are buried. 
    A barber would have helped dispose of the bodies.

• This thread is giving me a serious case of lobster envy. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    This thread is giving me a serious case of lobster envy. 
    You an me both!  I cannot even imagine a place that serves lobster on a paper plate, on a wooden picnic table, along side the road.  I am pretty sure that is what Heaven is like.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    You an me both!  I cannot even imagine a place that serves lobster on a paper plate, on a wooden picnic table, along side the road.  I am pretty sure that is what Heaven is like.

We road tripped Maine, Acadia, and we stopped every time I saw a sign for lobster rolls.  I recall the average price was $14, and I would go butter over mayo.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    Those are the best places.  My lobster photo was where the Passagassawakeag River runs into the bay.  No inside seating, only like 7 things on the menu.  Clams were the side dish.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    You an me both!  I cannot even imagine a place that serves lobster on a paper plate, on a wooden picnic table, along side the road. 
    That's really been the only  way I've had it, visiting the NE.  Same for oyster/clam/crab boils.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I am looking forward to my daughter going to college.  It will be cheaper than horses.  Just bought tickets to fly to Idaho to look at another horse.  Not enough PTO to take a week off and enjoy the drive.  Fly up Saturday, fly home Sunday.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    I am looking forward to my daughter going to college.  It will be cheaper than horses.  Just bought tickets to fly to Idaho to look at another horse.  Not enough PTO to take a week off and enjoy the drive.  Fly up Saturday, fly home Sunday.
    Where about? I’m from southern Idaho. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    Where about? I’m from southern Idaho. 
    Triple $$$ Ranch
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    Do you have to buy one seat, or two, for the horse to fly back to AZ?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.