Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    Options

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options

Mel Gibson driving?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I bought that trailer (10k lb gross weight) through a friend at an auction ($700) specifically to 1. move my forklift and future skid steer and 2. move logs for forestry operations, specifically to mill into boards (because good lumber is expensive, I like using it and I'm cheap).

My buddy's friends were cutting down a couple relatively small cypress trees at that artist guy's (Al Sprague) house and the opportunity to get the trunks cut where ever I wanted was given to me.  I showed up with the trailer and a friend, we could only get a few logs in the trailer by hand. 

I bought the winch a while back for this exact purpose and so I spent Sunday making a mount for it for the trailer.  The idea was the winch will come off easily by removing 4 stainless bolts.  This was to keep it from getting stolen and keep it out of the elements.   It worked great after working out some bugs on techniques to grab the wood and reduce friction on the ramp.

I realized I need to buy or make a "cant hook" to lift the logs to chain them and I plan on building a hinged a-frame (or u-frame) to lift and pull, simultaneous, with the winch, which is a common small-scale forestry technique.

The end goal is to pick up nice logs and cut them into beams/boards.  Right now I have a chainsaw mill but I'm ordering a band saw mill here soon.  I really need to work on a place to store the boards for a year or two to dry out before using them.  I have some space but I plan on getting rid of a big old boat I have and using that area until I get my mezzanine built witch is contingent on lower steel prices.

Options
    I really wanted the trunks cut into even longer sections, but until I get the a-frame, they're insanely heavy.  Getting the logs back to the shop, the forklift makes it easy to unload.
    Options
    Interesting stuff, thanks for the detailed explanation.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I haven't seen a sticker like that before.   Anyway, I hope the process was easy for you and the lines weren't too long.  I voted early here in NC last week.  
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Needed a snack while cooking dinner so.....2 Hebrew beef hotdogs spiral cut slathered in mustard seasoned heavy with Dizzy pig Bayouish, smoked then sauced with ray's. That's a snack jack 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Hugging my children.
    Same here my friend, same here.  Another terrible day.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    We are headed to see the Lumineers - my oldest daughter’s favorite band.  The tickets were an early birthday gift for her.  The wife and I are both going and she’s bringing a friend from gymnastics.
    Nice!  Should be a great concert, and your daughter has good taste in music.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I haven't seen a sticker like that before.   Anyway, I hope the process was easy for you and the lines weren't too long.  I voted early here in NC last week.  
    Actually went on my lunch break. Walked right in. There were more poll workers than voters. I live/vote in a relatively small town.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I hope the below post doesn't upset @Ozzie_Isaac or @The_Buffalo as this looked like the best landing zone thread:
    "How did the USA get here-and likely will stay here??"
    The Daily
    Katherine J Wu headshot

Katherine J. Wu

STAFF WRITER

A gunman has killed more than a dozen schoolchildren in Texas.

Backward and downward

Emergency personnel at a school shooting in Texas

(Dario Lopez-Mills / AP)

This afternoon, an 18-year-old gunman walked onto the campus of an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, and killed 14 children and a teacher. Several others were injured by the shooter, who has reportedly been killed by police officers who arrived on the scene.

Almost a decade has passed since the horrific massacre at Connecticut’s Sandy Hook Elementary School. In the intervening years, more guns have found their way into American hands, my colleague David Frum writes on today’s events: Since Sandy Hook, “this country has plunged backward and downward toward barbarism.” (Read David’s essay on gun violence in America from September.)

Tonight, I called Megan Ranney, a dean at Brown University and emergency physician with public-health expertise in gun safety, to ask her advice in processing this news. “There is almost no way to describe to someone not in health care what it is like to let a family member know that their loved one was lost to a gunshot,” Ranney told me. “The ripple effects on families, on health-care providers, and on the larger community is almost incalculable. Bullet wounds hurt not just the person who has been shot, but everyone who surrounds them. It creates fear; it creates division.”

But Ranney quickly turned the conversation toward next steps. “We know that change is possible,” she said, if the country can reduce the availability of firearms to people who will misuse them. Ranney drew a parallel to the plunge in fatal motor-vehicle crashes that’s played out over the past half century. “We made a choice to not accept the car-crash deaths at the rate that they were at,” she told me. “We’ve done that through sustained effort on a federal, state, but also local level in terms of policy, education, and research. This is not an impossible problem. This is not hopeless. But it requires a commitment to do more than just talk about it in the wake of a mass shooting. It requires a commitment to address it every single day.”"

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

edited May 2022
    Options
    Brother @lousubcap no problem from me.  Just about everything in the world is more important than a thread on an obscure corner of the interwebz.

Truly horrific.  Beyond words.  Cannot even begin to process what that community is struggling with this evening.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Botch said:
    Hugging my children.
    @The Buffalo:  I hope you have the ability to see who hits "Dislike" on a post like this, after yet another 21 humans were gunned down, and post his name/handle/aliases for us all to see, and ban that **** piece of **** from this forum forever.  
    And if you can't, won't, or don't care, I can't see a reason for me to be here anymore, despite all the good people here. I'm really hoping you can do something about this.  Thank you.    
    Botch, not sure if you tagged 
    @The_Buffalo properly, there's an underscore.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Botch said:
    Hugging my children.
    @The Buffalo:  I hope you have the ability to see who hits "Dislike" on a post like this, after yet another 21 humans were gunned down, and post his name/handle/aliases for us all to see, and ban that **** piece of **** from this forum forever.  
    And if you can't, won't, or don't care, I can't see a reason for me to be here anymore, despite all the good people here. I'm really hoping you can do something about this.  Thank you.    
    Botch, not sure if you tagged 
    @The_Buffalo properly, there's an underscore.
    Fix'd, thanks Canugghead.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    Hugging my children.
    @The_Buffalo:  I hope you have the ability to see who hits "Dislike" on a post like this, after yet another 21 humans were gunned down, and post his name/handle/aliases for us all to see, and ban that **** piece of **** from this forum forever.  

Don’t go buddy.  If that sort of thing doesn’t bother me, it shouldn’t bother you.  Don’t let a handful of obvious cowards spoil this place for you.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just got back from seeing the Lumineers.  Wow what a great band!  They’re on tour and if you have a chance to see them, I highly recommend it.  They put on a great show.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Just got back from seeing the Lumineers.  Wow what a great band!  They’re on tour and if you have a chance to see them, I highly recommend it.  They put on a great show.

I have 2 of their albums on my phone. Great band indeed.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My middle daughter went to the show last night.  She had a great time but didn’t get home till after 1am. Good thing her mom can stay up past 10pm.

I gladly took the early duty this morning and even made my wife breakfast.
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    My middle daughter went to the show last night.  She had a great time but didn’t get home till after 1am. Good thing her mom can stay up past 10pm.

Man it was crazy getting into the Walnut Creek amphitheater last night.  Traffic was absolutely terrible.  What would normally take us 40 minutes from our house took two hours.   I'm still blown away that the place is so poorly organized in terms of managing the incoming traffic.  

We had just pulled into the venue when we heard from friends that the opening act had just wrapped up.  The car line for parking just wasn't moving at all.  I let my wife and my daughter and her friend out of the car while I waited to park.  I ended up parking in some corner area that was actual grass - they had apparently run out of regular parking spots.  We were all fortunate to get to our seats about ten minutes before the Lumineers started playing, so we didn't miss any of the main act.

On the way out my parking spot on the grassy knoll turned out to be a blessing, as they opened up a back gate that allowed for a relatively easy exit.  We ended up getting out of there quickly and were back home by 11:40PM.  

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Man it was crazy getting into the Walnut Creek amphitheater last night.  Traffic was absolutely terrible.  What would normally take us 40 minutes from our house took two hours.   I'm still blown away that the place is so poorly organized in terms of managing the incoming traffic.  

We had just pulled into the venue when we heard from friends that the opening act had just wrapped up.  The car line for parking just wasn't moving at all.  I let my wife and my daughter and her friend out of the car while I waited to park.  I ended up parking in some corner area that was actual grass - they had apparently run out of regular parking spots.  We were all fortunate to get to our seats about ten minutes before the Lumineers started playing, so we didn't miss any of the main act.

On the way out my parking spot on the grassy knoll turned out to be a blessing, as they opened up a back gate that allowed for a relatively easy exit.  We ended up getting out of there quickly and were back home by 11:40PM.  

Seats? We only ever had grass passes. It is crazy they haven’t fixed that after all these years, takes the fun out when it is such a pita to get in and out.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Seats? We only ever had grass passes. It is crazy they haven’t fixed that after all these years, takes the fun out when it is such a pita to get in and out.
    Yeah I was pretty bugged.  I bet there were a lot of people who missed some of the show due to all the traffic.

We don’t go to Walnut Creek that often. More often the shows are at PNC arena.  Traffic can still be an issue there but it’s much better in my experience.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Lawn is looking good especially for how far north you are. Couple months you will be looking like this. Looks like you just need to push with fert and cut often. What kind of grass do you have? 

Snellville, GA