Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• dbCooper said:
    A visitor that is always welcomed...

Taking selfies?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • bakery pizza....fully loaded =) no one will understand this

Looks amazing. When my mom was working and I was a weeeee kid staying with my Italian Grandma during the day ... there was a bakery across the road ... and on the odd day she said we were getting pizza ... I was hungry by 10 am at the thought.  
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    bakery pizza....fully loaded =) no one will understand this

Looks amazing. When my mom was working and I was a weeeee kid staying with my Italian Grandma during the day ... there was a bakery across the road ... and on the odd day she said we were getting pizza ... I was hungry by 10 am at the thought.  

my grandmother used to take me here 50 years ago, all the italian bakeries here made pizza. this one used to stack 16 slices in the old brown donut boxes with wax paper layered between. the box fit two rows 8 high
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    What a day.  A buddy, moving my boat, got my forklift stuck in the mud.  Took 40 minutes with boards, a chain and my truck to get it unstuck.  Weighs 9500 lbs. 

Before that he used my lift to jack up his bike.  Uneven load and it won't go down.  Will deal with that tomorrow.

Put a new bilge pump in my boat, soldering gun tip broke on the last wire.  Will finish that tomorrow.

Argh.
    Those 2 onlookers could make it an even load.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    johnnyp said:
    I've been trying to learn more about SV cooking lately.  Specifically, I've been having a tough time getting maximum flavor from aromatics because they wont penetrate in the bag and seem dull/bland when applied after processing SV.  

Found a resource that discusses the breakdown of albumin in the bag.  One solution is to use eggwhites as a binder to get maximum adherence of your seasoning post-processing.  Tried it last night on a hanger steak....ho lee chit. Game changer for me.  Hope some of yall find this useful.

http://sousvideresources.com/2020/07/17/sous-vide-searing-coating-and-crusting/
    Hmmm.  I'm a little skeptical of the notion that there's no need to add any aromatics or anything else to the bag during the cook because they don't penetrate very far into the protein.   I understand the science but in my experience I actually have to be careful with the aromatics because a little goes a long way, and too much on a SV cook (especially a long one) can easily end up overpowering things.  

I think the idea here is that there's no point if all they're doing is flavoring the surface of the protein.  I can see that argument to some extent if the plan is to sear after the cook, but otherwise... I dunno.  I'll have to think about it.  

I thought you believed in science????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    edited September 2020
    Bought 1000 10x13 bags for chamber sealer, chopped some into 1/2 and 1/4 sizes, old foodsaver seal function comes in handy. Don't want 1000 of each size  :)

Edit: actually at my local restaurant supply place minimum quantity for smaller bags are 2000 =)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,015
    American cheese was invented by a Canadian. 🤯
    So they invent fake bacon and call it Canadian bacon.  Then they invent fake cheese and they call it American cheese?
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,123
    Legume said:
    So they invent fake bacon and call it Canadian bacon.  Then they invent fake cheese and they call it American cheese?
    You think they might be trying to tell us something in the most polite way possible. 🤔

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Legume said:

Botched up pastrami and call it Montreal Smoked Meat  ;)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    is it wrong to think that the Wii yoga lady is kinda hawt? Asking for a friend...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    is it wrong to think that the Wii yoga lady is kinda hawt? Asking for a friend...
    The lady on your msg board?

• thetrim said:
    johnnyp said:
    I've been trying to learn more about SV cooking lately.  Specifically, I've been having a tough time getting maximum flavor from aromatics because they wont penetrate in the bag and seem dull/bland when applied after processing SV.  

Found a resource that discusses the breakdown of albumin in the bag.  One solution is to use eggwhites as a binder to get maximum adherence of your seasoning post-processing.  Tried it last night on a hanger steak....ho lee chit. Game changer for me.  Hope some of yall find this useful.

Hmmm.  I'm a little skeptical of the notion that there's no need to add any aromatics or anything else to the bag during the cook because they don't penetrate very far into the protein.   I understand the science but in my experience I actually have to be careful with the aromatics because a little goes a long way, and too much on a SV cook (especially a long one) can easily end up overpowering things.  

I think the idea here is that there's no point if all they're doing is flavoring the surface of the protein.  I can see that argument to some extent if the plan is to sear after the cook, but otherwise... I dunno.  I'll have to think about it.  

I do, thus the line “I understand the science”

Jackasss.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2020
    thetrim said:
    johnnyp said:

Jackasss.
    If you are going to use too many consonants at the end of a word that also ends in 's', it is more appropriate to use 'z'.  As in: jackazzz.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    thetrim said:
    johnnyp said:

Jackasss.
    If you are going to use too many consonants at the end of a word that also ends in 's', it is more appropriate to use 'z'.  As in: jackazzz.
    How does jackwagon work?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Where u been @thetrim?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ain't pretty but sho is tasty.  Made broccoli bisque, pork chops, bla bla bla

Jackasss.
    How does jackwagon work?
    Or jagoff perhaps?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Looks good @nolaegghead
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2020
    Been a year or since I ordered direct from SRF.  They have upped their shipping game!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191

i think the  canadians invented the orange american cheese ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim said:
    johnnyp said:

Jackasss.

Believe: Accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so. Understand: Perceive the meaning of. ... Saying you understand something does not necessitate that you think it true either.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Where u been @thetrim?

Just been busy doing other things, so I haven't had as much time on here... I was gone for about 15 pages on this thread.  I'll never get caught up....
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    thetrim said:
    johnnyp said:

Jackasss.

Believe: Accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so. Understand: Perceive the meaning of. ... Saying you understand something does not necessitate that you think it true either.
    Troll harder or smarter than this, please.  Thanks.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,015

adverb, hard·er, hard·est.

with great exertion; with vigor or violence; strenuously: to work hard; to try hard.

adjective, smart·er, smart·est.

quick or prompt in action, as persons.
    having or showing quick intelligence or ready mental capability: a smart student.
    shrewd or sharp, as a person in dealing with others or as in business dealings: a smart businessman.
    Not a felon
  • Been a year or since I ordered direct from SRF.  They have upped their shipping game!

Thanks for this.  It made me remember they're having a pretty good sale this week.  Just ordered some beef ribs and some wagyu tri-tip from them. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Botch said:
    The stupid is strong with this one. Her question is valid though, just not the way she intended.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Nothing is more infuriating than a damn rainbow!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Yeah, there isn't really much to say to that.  I genuinely feel bad for people who are so ignorant.  I also feel bad for everyone who is impacted when they exercise their right to vote.