Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    SciAggie said:
    The dirty underbelly (literally) of owning and using an offset. If I care about my guests enough to cook good food, why would I do it on a cooker with rancid fat and rust inside? Also I’ve learned it’s actually easier to keep it from rusting or growing mold if I wash it after a long cook. Hit it with some cheap spray oil and it’s good for a while. 

I told a friend it’s like dating a high maintenance girlfriend. The eggs and the wood oven are much easier to maintain. 

Triple check that you don't leave any ash in the firebox when hitting it with water. The ash and water will cause a chemical reaction that is like an acid that will eat away at your firebox. I'd hate to see that pretty smoker start rusting out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    WeberWho said:
    SciAggie said:
    The dirty underbelly (literally) of owning and using an offset. If I care about my guests enough to cook good food, why would I do it on a cooker with rancid fat and rust inside? Also I’ve learned it’s actually easier to keep it from rusting or growing mold if I wash it after a long cook. Hit it with some cheap spray oil and it’s good for a while. 

I told a friend it’s like dating a high maintenance girlfriend. The eggs and the wood oven are much easier to maintain. 

Triple check that you don't leave any ash in the firebox when hitting it with water. The ash and water will cause a chemical reaction that is like an acid that will eat away at your firebox. I'd hate to see that pretty smoker start rusting out. 
    Thanks for the tip. I always clean the ash out with a whisk broom as well as possible. When I’m washing out the fire box I make sure the rinse water is clear. I leave everything open until it dries. Then I hit the inside with a can of spray vegetable oil. I hope that will be sufficient to ward off rust and corrosion. It’s really a dilemma because no maintenance is not a good solution - and washing it out has its own set of risks. I borrowed an offset for years that had no paint - just rusty steel. I know it lasted for over 25 years before the fire box rusted through. It was ugly though. My wife would not allow that to stay in the back yard (I wouldn’t want it either).
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited March 2020
    In Vegas for a downhill mountain bike race.  Went to a mall and was treated to this curious sight.  Closed Apple store that still had employees.  It was like a hipster zoo exhibit.  

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    In Vegas for a downhill mountain bike race.  Went to a mall and was treated to this curious sight.  Closed Apple store that still had employees.  It was like a hipster zoo exhibit.  

Just about everything except the machines are going to be shut down here. Most of thenproerties have shut their buffets, clubs, shows and are starting a rolling shutdown of other eateries. There are already mass layoffs of hotel workers and other service related jobs. It's going to be rough.
    Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    WeberWho said:
    SciAggie said:

https://youtu.be/kiLwRQ_Z3AU
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Suppose to go to Columbia SC this coming Friday to golf for 3 days with 3 of my buddies. Trying to decide if we should go or not? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    g8golfer said:
    Suppose to go to Columbia SC this coming Friday to golf for 3 days with 3 of my buddies. Trying to decide if we should go or not? 
    My advice to you is to stay home.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    g8golfer said:
    My advice to you is to stay home.
    You I think so as well
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Streaming church service. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Same here, in about 15 minutes.  Given the average age of our congregation it may be high comedy.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Battleborn said:
    Just about everything except the machines are going to be shut down here. Most of thenproerties have shut their buffets, clubs, shows and are starting a rolling shutdown of other eateries. There are already mass layoffs of hotel workers and other service related jobs. It's going to be rough.
    @Battleborn, do you expect to see an increase in "domestic disturbance" type calls over the next few weeks, given the increased stress and folks being cooped up?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• GATraveller
    edited March 2020
    Same here, in about 15 minutes.  Given the average age of our congregation it may be high comedy.
    The fact that my parents didn't call means they figured it out see how we're their IT department.

Edit: Although it's entirely possible that they slept right through it. Now that my dad's retired they keep college student hours. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Watching the first episode of "All Aboard" on BritBox. The first episode is a 2 hour journey down the Kennet and Avon Canal. Trying to lower the stress levels. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    It has been a battle for my in-laws over the last several months against health issues.  Over the last month, we slowly moved them from one apartment to another, but still taking every opportunity to move things. Today was to be the last load, but we waited 3 days too long. Almost all this stuff is now at our house since their facility is in lockdown.

I was going to get mulch next weekend.  I guess that isn’t happening. I am going to leave the trailer filled and as-is to we can unload it.  

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Came to Sam's to get some butts to smoke today, place is packed with people buying Kleenex and napkins 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• JohnInCarolina
    Came to Sam's to get some butts to smoke today, place is packed with people buying Kleenex and napkins 
    But are there plenty of butts left?  That’s what matters man!
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Botch said:
    Battleborn said:
    @Battleborn, do you expect to see an increase in "domestic disturbance" type calls over the next few weeks, given the increased stress and folks being cooped up?  
    Yes, those and different theft related calls. Domestics always go up when family spends extended time together. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    The joy of owning Blackstones and a weed torch. Especially when you run out midway during last night's cook

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    Just went to get my 2 tanks filled only to find out they're both too old. Fortunately I've befriended the guy at the shop and he filled them for me one last time (and only charged for 1). 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking Nice biscuits there buddy. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Just went to get my 2 tanks filled only to find out they're both too old. Fortunately I've befriended the guy at the shop and he filled them for me one last time (and only charged for 1). 
    You gotta go to a gas station swap out place where they just give you the key... 
  • WeberWho
    I tried a new propane place this afternoon and I was surprised he didn't even look for a date on them. All three filled for $38. No complaints.

I had two other propane tanks that the previous owner painted gray. So they didn't have a date printed and I was only questioned once if they were over 10 years old at the other propane shop. I told the owner I wasn't sure. He filled them up and said that I should look into some that have dates listed. I gave them to my sister in law for her Blackstone. I told her to go and have them switched out for newer ones with a date or see if a propane place will fill them for her. As far as I know she still uses them and hasn't switched them out for any new tanks. 

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @DoubleEgger people used to give me their old not approved rusty tanks and I would do just what you're saying. However if you can find someone that refills them like a pilot gas station or camping stores, tractor supply, it is cheaper to go that route.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    @DoubleEgger people used to give me their old not approved rusty tanks and I would do just what you're saying. However if you can find someone that refills them like a pilot gas station or camping stores, tractor supply, it is cheaper to go that route.
    Of course, but when you decide you need a new tank... 
  • DoubleEgger
    These are awesome when transporting your tanks. Been using them for 20yrs. 

• GATraveller
    edited March 2020
    Now I'm overeating and using up all the toilet paper. Caught in a death spiral! 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Workin.

Will head out for a bike ride or hike later to get some air and will fly by a couple of stores.  Have a few items needed (want-needed), may or may not go in depending on how crowded they look.

We’ve been taking late night walks lately, nice and peaceful, don’t encounter people for the most part.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Nice work @caliking.   Biscuits are my nemesis.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Came to Sam's to get some butts to smoke today, place is packed with people buying Kleenex and napkins 
    My guess is that Sam’s is fresh outta TP and these are poor man’s substitutes.