Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have slicer envy 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I have slicer envy 
    Until you need to clean it. I've only used it a couple times now but you need to be committed on using it. It's going to take you 10× longer cleaning it than using it. It does make things uniform and helps when dehydrating. 

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I found it for $75 down in Des Moines. They can be found for a descent price if you jump on one at the right time. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nothing like Jersey Boys and championship football. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    (Oberon at 20 Hz):  "Go Tigers!"
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Very late lunch as the nice weather was too good to pass up:
    ABT's and crab stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp (13-15 ct).  Perfect size.   

All good-thanks for lookin' .

That's a new one on me and looks really good Frank. Top work.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Just got more skin removed and some stitches, 3rd trip in the past two months to get cut up by my dermatologist. Luckily her and her assistant are very easy on the eyes.

My local watering hole is just across the street to aid my recovery. 

My son's had some issues this past year, and I'm always able to clear my schedule and make sure I take him in to those visits.  #FatherOfTheYear   Hope you're healing well.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @lousubcap damnit boy!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
     Cut up some salad for easy lunches. So glad I have the Takeda it takes the work out of it. I remember the first time I used a shun and thought how crazy sharp it was this thing does that again after owning shuns. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @SciAggie wow that looks amazing well done
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'm starting another batch of jerky. This time I wanted to try using pork. So I picked up a 7lb pork loin. It has to be pushing 70+ slices after getting everything sliced. Beef can get spendy. Especially when it's getting turned into beef jerky. So I figure why not at least try using pork. Almost no fat after trimming it. 

Packaged up and marinating over night. 

Would love to see how this turns out. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Lit said:
     Cut up some salad for easy lunches. So glad I have the Takeda it takes the work out of it. I remember the first time I used a shun and thought how crazy sharp it was this thing does that again after owning shuns. 
    I think I own that exact Takeda. What a blade! Takes a razor edge and I only sharpen about once a year, despite heavy usage. Was pricey, but worth it, IMO.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    I think I own that exact Takeda. What a blade! Takes a razor edge and I only sharpen about once a year, despite heavy usage. Was pricey, but worth it, IMO.
    Yeah the steel is great. I don’t remember the last time I sharpened it. My favorite knife by far and I have 2 shuns in the same price range. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I don’t know how it would do on pork but I just looked https://www.excaliburdehydrator-recipes.com/recipe/queens-english-marinade/
    Hey thanks Gulfcoastguy!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Mariachi with Sexy Claudia!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I am not seeing “Sexy Claudia!” That is unless she is one of the bearded guys on the left. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:

You won't have a shortage of jerky when using a whole pork loin. I counted 77 pieces when loading onto the dehydrator trays. 

The texture of the jerky is similar to beef. The pull was different but expected as I sliced the pork thicker. The taste was a bit deceiving. The marinade was the same as I used on the beef. The only thing I did different from my first batch was that I didn't cold smoke the pork and I used curing salt this time. The flavor took on a whole new taste profile. Not even close to the same flavor between the two. The first bite of the pork jerky had a citrus flavor. I didn't say a word and my wife said, "Did you smoke these with peach wood?" (I have peach wood for the stick burner) Not bad but rather odd with it becoming a citrus flavor. 

Hard to say what the verdict is with the pork. I'm going to have to try a different marinade the next go around. I think it has potential to be the perfect cut for the price. I don't think it's a beef replacement but for 2× the amount of jerky and $5 cheaper it's fantastic. I just need to find a different marinade. 
    Thanks for the writeup. I use jerky purely as a protein source, so given the price point, I’d be willing to give this a go. Thanks again for sharing. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I am not seeing “Sexy Claudia!” That is unless she is one of the bearded guys on the left. 
    Activities director. Can’t see her here but she was shakin it!
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Hitting these little pvc Birdieballs in my yard.  Can make a full swing and they only go 30-40 yards. Don’t have to go to the driving range now!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Activities director. Can’t see her here but she was shakin it!
    Not even in the shot?! What a tease, Pete!!