Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tilapia: worse than eating bacon.

Options
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wait! Bacons bad for you? Nooooooooooooooo! :((

edit: WOULD SOMEBODY FIX THESE DAMN EMOTICONS!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If Fox News says it, I'll never find out about it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    If Fox News says it, I'll never find out about it.

Somehow I knew that..... 8-|
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ , I believe knowledge is very important, I hate for your bias to cause you to miss out so:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-154533
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    This is something Carolina Q said in another thread. It tells you everything you need to know.

Those are good prices? I don't like brisket, have never even seen tri tip and haven't had a decent steak in so long I stopped buying them a couple of years ago. So I have no idea what those meats cost. But that seems awfully expensive for a place that I thought was supposed to be cheap. Good I don't eat much beef these days. And that RD memberships are free.
  • travisstrick
    Options

@Carolina Q‌ , I believe knowledge is very important, I hate for your bias to cause you to miss out so:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-154533

Something from msnbc might be better. I'll see what I can dig up.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Also never eaten okra, but I've met other Yankees in that boat.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Just as long as he doesn't hate fried pickles.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I hate my egg and I really hate my egg with Talapia, steak or pork on it. And don't get me started on the KoolAid. Just sayin.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • travisstrick
    Options

I hate my egg and I really hate my egg with Talapia, steak or pork on it. Just sayin.

Mostly I'm just unhappy.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I remember this article when it came across my FB feed. The study did not actually conclude that tilapia is worse for you than bacon, even though that's how it's been portrayed. In fact that conclusion is right in the article Travis posted if you read it carefully enough. Anyway, I tend to trust medical professionals over FoxNews or CNN or any other cable "news source": http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/tilapia/bgp-20056256
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    JIC doctors and researchers are idiots! I only believe what the pretty people on TV say, or what I read on Wikipedia.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2015
    Options

Man!  It sure doesn't take much for some people to get all chippy 'n shtuff.

We've used tilapia every now and then.  Tried crab-stuffed tilapia this summer - the best part was the crab-stuffing.

That's how I view tilapia: A medium for other flavors. 

Beyond that, I wouldn't miss it if I never had it again.  I'm glad to know of the health risks (and equally happy to see FOX News actually reporting verifiable fact.  :-\" ).

We have a small amount of tilapia in the freezer, but once gone - I'll think twice before replenishing it.  Thanks for the info, Travis & JIC.

(I'm still wrapping stuff in bacon - I don't care what y'all say!)

:)>-

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Back on topic... Eat wild caught seafood.....
    Jacksonville FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Doctors and scientists are fickle about what is good or bad for you.  Take for example coffee or eggs.  First they're good for you.  Then they're bad for you.  Then they're not as bad for you as previously thought, but still not good for you.  Next, they reduce cancer or other serious disease risk so they're good for you.  Screw it!  It's all good! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Doctors and scientists are fickle about what is good or bad for you.  Take for example coffee or eggs.  First they're good for you.  Then they're bad for you.  Then they're not as bad for you as previously thought, but still not good for you.  Next, they reduce cancer or other serious disease risk so they're good for you.  Screw it!  It's all good! 
    There's not really anything fickle about the science.  There's just data and hypothesis testing.  The fickleness comes in when studies are "summarized" by people in the popular press and media.

For example, someone does a study that indicates a correlation between people who are over 65 and obese and drink more than 4 cups of coffee a day and an increased risk of heart disease.  Then Wolf Blitzer or some other **** Beninya on cable news turns this into "COFFEE IS BAD FOR YOU!".

No.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    :-? So would it be considered Baker Act time to wrap Tilapia in Bacon while drinking coffee and washing it all down with booze? I dislike farm raised fish. @Dobie‌ I completely agree. Wild Caught. Ain't it great living in FL B-)
    Side note.... of course farm raised are cheaper than wild caught for obvious reasons. But, as far as I'm concerned any fish wild caught tastes better than farm raised. Same with free range chicken and eggs. Etc etc
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • travisstrick
    Options

I remember this article when it came across my FB feed. The study did not actually conclude that tilapia is worse for you than bacon, even though that's how it's been portrayed. In fact that conclusion is right in the article Travis posted if you read it carefully enough.

Anyway, I tend to trust medical professionals over FoxNews or CNN or any other cable "news source":

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/tilapia/bgp-20056256

Yes John, I saw that. This post was just for fun. I thought the sensational headline would give that away.

I got this off face book too. It was just above "27 life hacks they don't want you to know about".
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I knew it!

Options
    Quick, someone post a picture of a spatchcock chicken with @Mickey‌ Coffee Rub, it will make everything OK
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I got this off face book too. It was just above "27 life hacks they don't want you to know about".

Man! THEY certainly do work hard at keeping us all in the dark!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What the hell do doctors know??  They're just a bunch of yes men toeing the company line!!

We quit eating talapia in my house a few years ago .  I had a freezer full of wild caught salmon from a fishing trip to Alaska until my kids unplugged the freezer to charge their scooter.  That one did not make me a very happy man!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buddyclaude
    Options
    Everyone knows Travis is a total mullet man.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
     I had a freezer full of wild caught salmon from a fishing trip to Alaska until my kids unplugged the freezer to charge their scooter.  That one did not make me a very happy man!! 
    How awful.

Where did you bury the little angels?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

I thought he was partial to lobster.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i wouldnt eat that fish even if it was wrapped in bacon
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fellows I guess I'm just doomed. Bacon and Tilapia are 2 of my very favorites. I like about 2 pounds of fried shrimp, a couple dozen of raw oysters and about a pound of melted butter and bacon with my Tilapia. One of my favorite meals for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.