Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why would my temp run up on an all-night cook

cooked a butt last night started about 6 p.m. Got my temp. stabilize at 240 checked it at 10 p.m. still good checked at 1 a.m. still 240 checked 3 a.m. the temp had ran up to 360 what would cause that.The only thing I could think of is I started with a water pan and sometimes after 1 a.m. the pan ran out of water would that cause the temp to shoot up like that.From the time I got the temp regulated about 7 p.m. I never moved the top or bottom vents.its a xl egg

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    My first and pretty much only guess would be wind since you had it stable for so long.  I had it happen one too many times and bought a Digi-Q DX and a Maverick so I can get some sleep.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • The cooling effect of the butt wore off after 1am.
    Gittin' there...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    +1 on the wind. If it wasn't the wind, it probably was directly related to air flow. My guess is that once the air flow increased, even if it was temporary, the fire got hotter. Once the fire got hotter, it increased the draw of O2 into the firebox which kept the temp rising. Similar to positive feedback.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    I recall a few over night low & slows like that myself! Like @BOWHUNR said it probably was the wind unless you had gasket issues to compound it. OTOH no offense, but unless your egg is in a fire proof area then the turbo method during the time you are up and awake even beats a low & slow even with a Digi-Q or any monitoring devices while you are sound asleep!
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    RRP said:
    I recall a few over night low & slows like that myself! Like @BOWHUNR said it probably was the wind unless you had gasket issues to compound it. OTOH no offense, but unless your egg is in a fire proof area then the turbo method during the time you are up and awake even beats a low & slow even with a Digi-Q or any monitoring devices while you are sound asleep!
    Even with temp.running up it still turned out great.The reason for not turboing was a time issue,had it for lunch at work and couldn't cook it that morning.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Wind doesn't affect the egg draft to any degree enough for that climb. FearlesstheEggNoob is spot on.

Cold meat and the waterpan are heat sinks. Water can take on an enormous amount of heat energy, and if your vents were open too wide, the extra energy would be going in to trying to raise the water temperature. You aren't ever going to boil it at those dome temperatures, and so the entire time it is going to be capable of absorbing extra heat energy, and keeping the ambient temperature down.

When it has evaporated, that heat energy has to go somewhere.

I'll say again, continuous thirty mile an hour winds won't cause your temperature to run away. My summer egg gets wind from across a lake straight at it. When this picks up overnight, during a butt cook, as when a front comes through, there is no affect on the dome temperature.

We see a drop in dome temperature when we put meat in. But it recovers. The so called stall is nothing more than water being driven off (evaporative cooling). When the stall is over, the meat temperature rises.

Additional water will also keep the temperature down. But when it evaporates, there's nothing left in the pan to absorb the heat (like the meat does). And so the heat goes into the system itself

If you were to replenish it, it would help actually keep temperatures stable, because it won't ever get higher than below boiling. A nice hundred eighty to two hundred degree mass will do much to keep the system low and slow. This is afterall why water pans are used (they do not make food moist, but that's a discussion for another day).

So either keep it filled, or do what some do: stabilize vents and ditch the water pan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    This is afterall why water pans are used (they do not make food moist, but that's a discussion for another day).

oh my.. I learned something new today. 

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Ahhh yes Thermal Dynamics 101 ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    I was using the pan more for catching the drippings and keeping plate setter clean.
  • Drip pan alone is fine. Water can mess things up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    This happens when I use a water pan for a lo n slo overnight cook. The temp rises after the water evaporates, since it no longer acts as a heat barrier/sink.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    caliking said:
    This happens when I use a water pan for a lo n slo overnight cook. The temp rises after the water evaporates, since it no longer acts as a heat barrier/sink.
    +1 - water pan does affect temp.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    This is great info. Taking a step father. When doing beer can chicken the moisture on the can does nothing but keep the temp down?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,014
    This is great info. Taking a step father. When doing beer can chicken the moisture on the can does nothing but keep the temp down?

There's probably a lot of truth to that.  I'm just theorizing here, but as the liquid boils/steams inside the cavity it probably also helps the chicken cook more evenly.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    Here's a great read on beer can chix:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm  His main site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info.  Worth a good look.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    The liquid in beercan chicken doesn't boil.  If it does, it's because you are cooking direct, and the bottom of the chicken will be incinerated.  If indirect, that liquid may evaporate, but not much.

Have no idea if it helps cook the chicken more evenly.  Perhaps.  You make a good point.  Without a can, the surrounding air would be whatever the dome temperature is, maybe 400 all sides, inside and out.  With a liquid filled can in place, as a heat sink, the outer flesh is being bathed in 400 degree air, but the inner side of the breast is at 200 ish.

Probably does help keep it juicier that way (less chance to overcook).

It may flavor somehow, by depositing vapor on the outside of the chicken.  But the inner cavity of the carcass is lined with a waterproof pleural lining. This is the same lining we remove from pork ribs.

No water or flavor is getting through that, it's designed to hold the pleural fluid when that chicken is walking and squawking.

So, the beer can helps the chicken stand, may help moderate the heat (by tempering how hot the interior gets), but it doesn't add any more flavor than what you'd get by using a water (or beer-filled) pan with the same ingredients in it. Any deposited flavor comes from evaporation, if at all.  There's no boiling, unless the set up is direct (probably a bad idea), or there is a very small amount of liquid.

Seneca Falls, NY

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think it's just the low volume of liquid and smaller diameter of the pan as compared to a water pan.. It is true that you don't actually lose water to evapouration in a beer can chicken.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    The beer can chicken deal was sort of debunked a year or two ago on amazingribs.com or some site/blog like it. I stopped doing those because it was a hassle. However, it still looks cool to guests when you show them a chicken standing with a beer can up its butt.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:
    The beer can chicken deal was sort of debunked a year or two ago on amazingribs.com or some site/blog like it. I stopped doing those because it was a hassle. However, it still looks cool to guests when you show them a chicken standing with a beer can up its butt.
    Little Steven's version is even better.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited April 2014
    Foghorn said:

There's probably a lot of truth to that.  I'm just theorizing here, but as the liquid boils/steams inside the cavity it probably also helps the chicken cook more evenly.
    The liquid in the can does not boil, and it barely steams. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I always stabilize the egg when it is empty, no food, no plate setter, once I add those things the temperature goes down for a long time (an hour plus) but it does not go much above the stabilized temperature.  I have no trouble with drying the meat and use no water pan.  As far as beer can chicken in my experience you get a more even cook with a spatchcock chicken.

Gerhard
  • Foghorn
    So the liquid in the beer can never reaches boiling temp?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    @foghorn-Here's a great read on beer can chix:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm  His main site is a wealth of ceramic cooking info.  Worth a good look.  FWIW- posted above :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn

@lousubcap,

Thank you.  I thought I had read pretty much everything at that site but I guess not. I love that he puts science into this.

San Antonio, TX