Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @pgprescott

i need to live where you do, Tito’s is distilled 2hrs up the road and the price is now $32.    Guess I could pick up New Amsterdam or Tower for lesser.  
    Tito’s 28-32 around here but you can get down and dirty with vodka a get something for under $10/handle if needed. 😁

it’s a tasteless product anyway. That’s why triple distilled Smirnoff or something similar is absolutely the way to go. Cheap and triple distilled means no hangover. Anything beyond triple distilled if just vanity IMO. 😁
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Liked 5 a lot and have a backup, have heard six isn’t as good juice as 5 was, would like your opinion lColbyLang said:

Just cracked her open. Series 5 was amazing. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,457
    Options
    beteez said:
    Liked 5 a lot and have a backup, have heard six isn’t as good juice as 5 was, would like your opinion lColbyLang said:

Just cracked her open. Series 5 was amazing. 

You are correct, 6 ain’t as good. Still very drinkable.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,036
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Frank. Check out www.sipwhiskey.com

they have Blanton’s Takara Red, Gold and they had Straight from the barrel in 700 ml variety. 
    Pretty cool site.  They have some stuff I’ve never seen on the shelves before.   Prices aren’t terrible either.
    Here's the MSRP of some Sazerac stuff at the distillery. EH Taylor small batch on that site is almost $100 over that. 

Yeah I wasn’t comparing prices to MSRP.  I was comparing them to what I’ve seen at other online retailers.  I almost never see those bottles on the shelves where I live.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

they have Blanton’s Takara Red, Gold and they had Straight from the barrel in 700 ml variety. 
    Pretty cool site.  They have some stuff I’ve never seen on the shelves before.   Prices aren’t terrible either.
    Here's the MSRP of some Sazerac stuff at the distillery. EH Taylor small batch on that site is almost $100 over that. 

Gotta pay to play. Unless you have a Honey Hole of highly sought after bottles. 
    It's the distillery itself. You gotta get there early and stand in line when they open and they will sell 1 of those that day. it's random what they sell that day
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options

Barrel Aged Narwhal 
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

It's the distillery itself. You gotta get there early and stand in line when they open and they will sell 1 of those that day. it's random what they sell that day
    Hard pass on the standing in line for a chance to buy a bottle. To each their own but my time is by far my most cherished commodity. I enjoy running across a fair priced bottle as much as the next guy but only in the regular course of my day. 🥃
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,481
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

That is a true glass of beauty right there.  Beautiful. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

My buddy just got back. They were bottling Blanton’s but selling Weller SR that day. He was less than thrilled. My man still shipped 42 bottles home. Won’t tell us what he got 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ColbyLang - regardless of the contents, your man has deep pockets.  Not surprised given the orbit you enjoy.  And well-deserved. 
    Let us know the take. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Pretty tasty for a low cal beer.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    beteez said:

Did you mix that?
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnfromKentucky
    JohnfromKentucky Posts: 432
    edited May 2023
    Options
    beteez said:

First time I have heard Old Carter being a mixer bourbon. :bawling: And with Dr. Pepper at that. 
    Please tell me that was a joke
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Mylanta, send me the balance of that bottle if you’re mixing it with DP. It’ll go nicely with the rest of em 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,041
    Options
    This guy in the video waited 43 hours in line for a bottle of Weller Full. Why? Duh, he wanted to see if his lawnmower would run off it. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/QsKQJH8MWVU?feature=share
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options

Did you mix that?
    I am so hoping this was a post Cinco de Mayo prank.    
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Like it and my first foray into port wine barrel offerings. Once the ice melted a little to soften the youth, the finish is great and I had to slow myself down a bit. 

• ColbyLang
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColbyLang - regardless of the contents, your man has deep pockets.  Not surprised given the orbit you enjoy.  And well-deserved. 
    Let us know the take. 
    Surround yourself with friends that have money, you’ll always have a good time 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,369
    edited May 2023
    Options
    When it comes to picking alcohol, I’m kinda like a lot of women picking a sports team. If the label is and colors are pretty, I will probably pick it. 

FYI- Yours is in the mail John. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    When it comes to picking alcohol, I’m kinda like a lot of women picking a sports team. If the label is and colors are pretty, I will probably pick it. 

FYI- Yours is in the mail John. 
    Nice - got yours all packed up today.  Will go to the UPS store tomorrow and tell the man if he asks that I’m sending bbq sauce.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Like it and my first foray into port wine barrel offerings. Once the ice melted a little to soften the youth, the finish is great and I had to slow myself down a bit. 

I got talked into a few pours of this in Richmond last month.  I really enjoyed it, I had one as an old fashion and one neat.  Both were above my expectations. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• lousubcap
    edited May 2023
    Options
    All you need to know about Bourbon and water: Scientists and proper dilution-
    https://apple.news/AjGxQjv6XQTq0TZEncy6BAg 

Edit-it's Apple News so that may limit access.
    So, below is the story:

Scientists Say This Is the Perfect Amount of Water to Dilute Whiskey

Adding water to a neat pour of whiskey can help open up its flavors. Now, scientists say they’ve pinpointed the ideal amount that will awaken those flavors without drowning your drink.

Researchers at Washington State University recently completed a study to find the ideal amount of water to dilute whiskey, according to a university press release. Assistant professor Tom Collins and Oregon State University’s Elizabeth Tomasino led the study, which analyzed the chemical makeup of 25 whiskeys when combined with water. The study included bourbon, rye, and Irish whiskey, as well as single malt and blended Scotch.

A sensory panel evaluated six whiskeys (three Scotch and three bourbons) in a varying amount of dilution. When poured straight from the bottle, the participants could easily tell the differences between the six whiskey samples. At a dilution ratio of higher than 80:20 whiskey to water, however, the panelist found that the samples’ aromas were all strikingly similar. While the participants reported that the Scotches (both blended and single malt) smelled similar, these spirits remained easily distinguishable from American bourbon and rye.

“This happens because of the way dilution affects what’s in the headspace,” Collins says. “The compounds that are associated with smoky aromas dissipate, and they were replaced by compounds that are associated with fruity aromas.”

A chemical analysis confirmed that water pushes hydrophobic compounds into the air above the liquid, thus affecting the aroma. With higher dilution levels, the smokiness and peat aromas of Scotch turned towards a more fruit-forward aroma. American whiskeys, on the other hand, gained aromas of corn and grains rather than the intended vanilla and oak when too much water was added. This data led researchers to decide that the ratio of 20 percent water to 80 percent whiskey is the ideal mix to adequately open up those aromas without changing the character.

The researchers also note that serving whiskey with a single large ice cube can reach the ideal level of dilution.

“This study helps [us] to understand why those large, square ice cubes have become so popular, because you can actually enjoy the whisky before it gets diluted to the point that it’s not the same whisky,” Collins says.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    here’s to karma!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    Options

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin