Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    For Barrell, what are the good offerings and at what price points? Seems like they had 6 or 7 different labels last time I saw it around.
    Barrell is a blended bourbon from what I have read. They don't make their own. As for not finding BT, that's not a MN thing. I live in Hardin county, KY and Buffalo Trace is 82 miles away, yet people in other states find it easier than I can. And anything else that BT produces is even harder to find at MSRP

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    For Barrell, what are the good offerings and at what price points? Seems like they had 6 or 7 different labels last time I saw it around.
    I have only tried 2 of their offerings. The first was a store pick and the second was the New Year 2023. The new year offering is excellent. Barrell does not distill their own bourbon, rather they source from all over the country to make their own unique blends. Their website is very helpful in letting you know the ages and locations of the distillate. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    I have only tried 2 of their offerings. The first was a store pick and the second was the New Year 2023. The new year offering is excellent. Barrell does not distill their own bourbon, rather they source from all over the country to make their own unique blends. Their website is very helpful in letting you know the ages and locations of the distillate. 
    Yep. The sourcing adds a whole other layer of profit and accounts for the price points. Never heard much bad about them. They must have their act together. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Barrell is a blended bourbon from what I have read. They don't make their own. As for not finding BT, that's not a MN thing. I live in Hardin county, KY and Buffalo Trace is 82 miles away, yet people in other states find it easier than I can. And anything else that BT produces is even harder to find at MSRP

Yeah it’s a shame. We do see regular BT in supermarkets and liquor stores all day for @ $27. Some of the less scrupulous ones mark it up anywhere from Mid 30’s to 50. Anything else like you said is hard to find under 100. 

I just heard that BT fired their distributor though as they were using the BT brand to force the sales of other brands not under their umbrella. I had heard this for years from good store owners saying they were forced to swallow boat loads of swill that no one wants in order to get the BT products. As a result they would often either bundle the crap with the BT or just raise the BT prices to account for the crap they were going to sit on or give away. Not sure if it will make a difference in the future for availability and price but it might moderately. They also ramped up production dramatically some years back and that investment will be hitting the market soon. If prices are artificially too high it may cause a backlog of product which they definitely don’t want. Especially in an inflationary economy with disposable incomes as a whole way down. Here’s hoping it gets better for everyone. 🥃
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    One of the brands I’ve not explored. By all accounts, it’s all darn good and some is spectacular. It’s a bit pricey but that’s mostly because they are “new” and “small”. Wish I could help but I’m definitely interested in your findings. 👍🏻
    I’ve had a couple of the Barrell bottles. Many of these are finished whiskies. The bourbon is additionally aged in a barrel that held another spirit like port wine, sherry, rum, etc. They can get some amazing flavors from these additional finishes. They also have their unfinished bourbons which are also very good. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    @FrostyEgg Another company similar to Barrell is a company called Penelope. They are another up and coming blending company. Their products start around $50. 

Barrel Company also started a spin off called Stellum in 2021. This allowed them to have a line of whiskeys that started in the $50 range. I have not tried any however. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options

Yeah it’s a shame. We do see regular BT in supermarkets and liquor stores all day for @ $27. Some of the less scrupulous ones mark it up anywhere from Mid 30’s to 50. Anything else like you said is hard to find under 100. 

I just heard that BT fired their distributor though as they were using the BT brand to force the sales of other brands not under their umbrella. I had heard this for years from good store owners saying they were forced to swallow boat loads of swill that no one wants in order to get the BT products. As a result they would often either bundle the crap with the BT or just raise the BT prices to account for the crap they were going to sit on or give away. Not sure if it will make a difference in the future for availability and price but it might moderately. They also ramped up production dramatically some years back and that investment will be hitting the market soon. If prices are artificially too high it may cause a backlog of product which they definitely don’t want. Especially in an inflationary economy with disposable incomes as a whole way down. Here’s hoping it gets better for everyone. 🥃
    We have liquor stores that do that here....they bundle the swill with the good and ask for an elevated price. 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Here is a good video breaking down what @pgprescott was describing.

https://youtu.be/s1Ik0RDfIHc
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    That EC is my favorite daily drinker.
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Going to make a gold rush or 12 this weekend. 3:1 or 2:1 for the honey syrup? Milk and Honey, the bar credited with its creation, says 3:1.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Going to make a gold rush or 12 this weekend. 3:1 or 2:1 for the honey syrup? Milk and Honey, the bar credited with its creation, says 3:1.
    Personally, I prefer one part honey syrup, 1 part fresh lemon juice, 2 parts bourbon.  

It’s plenty strong that way.  Are you making all 12 for yourself or are you sharing with some friends?   🤪
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Personally, I prefer one part honey syrup, 1 part fresh lemon juice, 2 parts bourbon.  

It’s plenty strong that way.  Are you making all 12 for yourself or are you sharing with some friends?   🤪
    I’ve been known to make a gold rush or so. I tweek the recipe a bit and delete the honey syrup and lemon. Sometimes I add ice as a second ingredient. I know, technically not a gold rush. 🙄😁🥃

enjoy!
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Anyone familiar with Wilderness Trail? Picked one up on a whim, haven't opened it yet though. Also grabbed a Michter's Rye today.
  • jadams03
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Anyone familiar with Wilderness Trail? Picked one up on a whim, haven't opened it yet though. Also grabbed a Michter's Rye today.
    I have had two of their offerings.  They have an 8 yr bourbon (has a blacks square on the front) that I thought was good, and then they have a Bottled in Bond wheated bourbon (yellow square on the front) that is of course much softer but also I felt a nice expression of a wheated bourbon. Enjoy!
    Large BGE--Louisville KY

"May I be worthy of my meat." Wendell Berry
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    I grabbed the 8 year black label. I'll give it a go soon. Sipping a bourbon old fashioned with the standard EC offering right now.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

I’ve been known to make a gold rush or so. I tweek the recipe a bit and delete the honey syrup and lemon. Sometimes I add ice as a second ingredient. 
    Inconceivable!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Yes sir, WT is one of my favorites.   I have also had their wheated and rye and are very nice.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Wilderness Trail very up and coming. Great pours await you. 
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    That’s what I like to hear! Appreciate the input. 
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

I enjoy Wilderness Trail and I usually keep a bottle of it on the shelf. I bought a bottle of a barrel pick one of the whiskey tube channels did that was a blend of 3 different cask strength barrels. WT was acquired by the Campari group late last year so I hope they keep their focus on the quality that has made them successful.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • FrostyEgg
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Four Roses Small Batch. Not bad for a consistent Costco buy under $30.
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Larceny small batch at 92 proof at less than 25.00 is not bad for a daily 
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    @ColbyLang hitting it out of the park.  Enjoy.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    @ColbyLang hitting it out of the park.  Enjoy.
    It’s so good. It’s a low proofer and just about the smoothest bourbon I’ve ever had. Ill
    happily give MSRP+ for this every time 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Felt like some beer tonight. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I’m back in the Showtime.   This stuff is growing on me.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas