Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella vs Jambalaya

Options
This is for all the oficionados out there. Other than saffron in paella what is the difference between paella and jambalaya? They seem pretty close to me.
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good observation.  The type of rice is different. 
    Options
    Soccarat (sp?).  Paella is cooked in a wide,flat pan so a lot of the rice crisps up against the metal of the pan; and that's the best part.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Good link to get your answer.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    There are two basic differences. Types of rice and seasonings. The Paella uses a Spanish short grain rice with saffron and the Jambalaya uses a long grain rice with more of a creole seasoning. Traditional paella should be cooked on a fire, where jambalaya can be cooked stove top. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    what i see posted as paella is more like a rice casserol, paella is thin, 1/4 to 12 inch max, not stirred so the bottom crisps a little. keeping it thin also brings more flavor from the seafood broth into the rice. atleast thats how my nanas mother made it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    There are two basic differences. Types of rice and seasonings. The Paella uses a Spanish short grain rice with saffron and the Jambalaya uses a long grain rice with more of a creole seasoning. Traditional paella should be cooked on a fire, where jambalaya can be cooked stove top. 

That is beautiful...Lucky dinner guests.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    So conclusion:  What they have in common is rice and seafood and are both cooked without a top.  What they DON'T have in common is ingredients and cooking method.
    Options
    One is from Spain, one is from LA?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Jambalaya originated in the Caribbean Islands. The Spanish culture mixed with the native foods created what is known as Jambalaya. Jambalaya is traditionally made in three parts, with meat and vegetables, and is completed by adding stock and rice. It is also a close cousin to the saffron colored paella found in Spanish cuisine.
    Options
    I knew that. There are several kinds of jambalaya including Cajun and Creole that are native to LA though. Paella originally did not contain seafood unless you call land snails seafood.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm just copying this stuff from wiki.  I make it every now and then, but I really need to get into paella. 

There are two primary methods of making jambalaya.

The first and most common is Creole jambalaya (also called "red jambalaya"). First, meat is added to the trinity of celery, peppers, and onions; the meat is usually chicken and sausage such as andouille or smoked sausage. Next vegetables and tomatoes are added to cook, followed by seafood. Rice and stock are added in equal proportions at the very end. The mixture is brought to a boil and left to simmer for 20 to 60 minutes, depending on the recipe, with infrequent stirring. Towards the end of the cooking process, stirring usually ceases. Some versions call for the jambalaya to be baked after the cooking of all the ingredients.

The second style, more characteristic of southwestern and south-central Louisiana, is Cajun jambalaya, which contains no tomatoes (the idea being the farther away from New Orleans one gets, the less common tomatoes are in dishes). The meat is browned in a cast-iron pot. The bits of meat that stick to the bottom of the pot (sucs) are what give a Cajun jambalaya its brown color. A little vegetable oil is added if there is not enough fat in the pot. The trinity (of 50% onions, 25% celery, and 25% green or red bell pepper, although proportions can be altered to suit one's taste) is added and sautéed until soft. Stock and seasonings are added in the next step, and then the meats are returned to the pot. This mixture is then simmered, covered, for at least one hour. Lastly, the mixture is brought to a boil and rice is added to the pot. It is then covered and left to simmer over very low heat for at least 1/2 hour without stirring. The dish is finished when the rice has cooked.

A third method is less common. In this version, meat and vegetables are cooked separately from the rice. At the same time, rice is cooked in a savory stock. It is added to the meat and vegetables before serving. This is called "white jambalaya." This dish is rare in Louisiana as it is seen as a "quick" attempt to make jambalaya, popularized outside the state to shorten cooking time.

Many people in the south, and typically in Louisiana, enjoy a simpler Jambalaya style. This style is cooked the same as the cajun style, but there are no vegetables. Many restaurants serve this style as opposed to the others, because it is more child-friendly, has a more consistent texture, and is easier to make. The famous Jambalaya Shoppe serves this simpler style, which is a local favorite.

Jambalaya is considered by most Louisianans to be a filling but simple-to-prepare rice dish; gumbos, étouffées, and creoles are considered more difficult to perfect. Most often a long grain white rice is used in making jambalaya.

Jambalaya is differentiated from gumbo and étouffée by the way in which the rice is included. In these dishes, the rice is cooked separately and is served as a bed on which the main dish is served. In the usual method of preparing jambalaya, a rich stock is created from vegetables, meat, and seafood; raw rice is then added to the broth and the flavor is absorbed by the grains as the rice cooks.

Options
    jambalya is made by adding ingredients to the pot and stirring them together, like making a big rice casserole,with paella you cook most of the ingredients first then use the stock which may be seafood or made with the vegetables and water to mix with the rice spreading it out thin, lastly laying the meat or seafood on top and not stirring. theres different paellas too, my great grandma was from the portugal azore islands, no tomatoes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    How about someone come over to my house, I'll buy the booze and the ingredients and someone show me how to make EITHER on my Egg.

Anyone?

Garnerville, NY
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I knew that. There are several kinds of jambalaya including Cajun and Creole that are native to LA though. Paella originally did not contain seafood unless you call land snails seafood.
    LS here in SoCal, LA doesn't mean Louisiana
    :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @robnybbq-thanks for the offer but will have to pass...that written, you may recall the below link as it will give you a good foundation for the cook.  Just make sure everything is ready to go when you start-not a lot of down-time initially.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I was going to say Carribean but I can't spell that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• td66snrf
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I was going to say Carribean but I can't spell that
    LOL
  • robnybbq
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@robnybbq-thanks for the offer but will have to pass...that written, you may recall the below link as it will give you a good foundation for the cook.  Just make sure everything is ready to go when you start-not a lot of down-time initially.

THanks for the link. Maybe one day when I get the courage. I tried the WOK and failed miserably and have not used t since( I should sell it).

Garnerville, NY
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    How about someone come over to my house, I'll buy the booze and the ingredients and someone show me how to make EITHER on my Egg.

Anyone?
    Are you close to Atlanta?????
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I wish. I am in cold NY.

Garnerville, NY
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    THanks for the link. Maybe one day when I get the courage. I tried the WOK and failed miserably and have not used t since( I should sell it).

Blasphemy!  Watch a few EweTube videos, and try again, you are just a couple tricks away from some fantastic food!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I make a super simple jambalaya in my dutch oven if your interested. I use leftover spatchcock chicken, andouille and some already cooked shrimp. Soooo ez
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    Hey, Little Steven, those of us who live in NorCal have a greater knowledge of US geography and understand that when discussing things Cajun and creole, LA is the abbreviation for Louisiana and not the abbreviation for the cesspool of CA. :))
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I wish. I am in cold NY.
    I'd do paella, but you're at the wrong end of a big state (from here)

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • td66snrf
    Options

Little Steven meant Louisiana. I was totally confused on that one since I am geographically ignorant and live in a cesspool known as Southern California.

P.S. We're really impressed that you have a platesetter and cast iron grill.

• Zmokin
    Options
    td66snrf said:

Little Steven meant Louisiana. I was totally confused on that one since I am geographically ignorant and live in a cesspool known as Southern California.

P.S. We're really impressed that you have a platesetter and cast iron grill.

Sorry if I offended you, I thought the emoticon :))would indicate I was being funny.

As for my signature, Um, not trying to impress, just describing what my set-up is.  Based on what I've read, some people prefer AR's over platesetters.  Based on pictures I've seen, some people like the cast iron grill like I do, some prefer the thin bar stainless steel grill.  I know some people have the experience and skill to set the dampers to control the temp, I'm not one of them and I'm not ashamed to admit I use modern electronics to control my EGG.

Have a nice day

• td66snrf
    edited March 2014
    Options

Zmokin apology accepted. Sorry to be so uncivilized in my response. I actually live in Orange county but in the big picture that's still considered part of the greater Los Angeles basin. Keep on cookin egg brother.

Tim in So Cal

Zmokin one more thing, if your ever down south here come by and I'll buy you a beer.

• Zmokin
    Options
    I used to work for a company that was HQ in Orange County.  Used to fly in & out of John Wayne airport.  I loved the departure flight plan.  I also really liked this Korean BBQ restaurant in Tustin.
    Anyway, I don't get down there very much anymore.  The next tradeshow in SoCal for me to attend won't be until 2020, but if I remember, I might take you up on the beer.