Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bison ribeye learning

Options
I cooked a nice bison ribeye tonight and made a few determinations. 1. Bison cooked to 140 is melt in your mouth tender and full of flavor. 2. Direct contact searing (aka The Caveman Method) is amazingly the way to go. 3. Red meat is too rich for my system so I either need to eat smaller quantities, or eat more to build up my tolerance ;). Seasoned steak with evo, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Reverse sear method resting between slow roast and direct coal searing, seared for approx 90 seconds per side. My wife didn't even desecrate the meat with her usual steak sauce baptism. Can't wait to freak out my father in law with this. He is an infrared yuppie griller. ;)
When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,867
    Options

That's good stuff. Caveman is fun. It adds an adrenaline rush to the process. 

Clearly you killed it as your wife's action speaks volumes.

As you do more caveman cooking, just be aware that it is best done in the early part of the charcoal burn while the coal is black or orange. Once it gets too white the coal dust will come off on your steak and while it doesn't affect the flavor much it definitely is a visual downer. This knowledge sometimes comes in handy when cooking multiple items and/or for large groups.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• onesaxplayer
    Options
    Foghorn said:

That's good stuff. Caveman is fun. It adds an adrenaline rush to the process. 

Clearly you killed it as your wife's action speaks volumes.

As you do more caveman cooking, just be aware that it is best done in the early part of the charcoal burn while the coal is black or orange. Once it gets too white the coal dust will come off on your steak and while it doesn't affect the flavor much it definitely is a visual downer. This knowledge sometimes comes in handy when cooking multiple items and/or for large groups.

Thanks so much for suggestion on timing.  I got it right last night because of dumb luck, but you just saved me some frustration.  Thanks! 
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!