Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hurricane Irma? OT

Options
167891012»

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Today in Jacksonville. Their parents must be proud! Stole an entire powerline pole from a FEMA JEA truck. I wonder why they didn't get away with it?! Dumbasses!
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobile/article/news/jso-two-men-caught-trying-to-steal-power-pole/474565875?scroll=0

"Officer, ya gotta believe me. It's not a power pole. It's all that's left of my sailboat."
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    What is sad is that that pole could have just been stood back up and rewired. I don't know about the past year or so but a few years ago there was about a 6 month lead time on receiving those poles. You paid for them in advance then they put you on a list to manufacture the poles. That is why a lot of signal light and overhead lighting projects look like they are going on forever. There is a lot of activity pouring the foundation and laying the wires then they just have to sit and wait till they can work like mad men trying to finish the project on time. Been there and done that for over 30 years.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Cleaning up the yard after the storm and counting my self fortunate. Hung the two fence sections this morning that were blown over. Connection points to the posts were the failure points. Old fence used nails to join stringers to posts and those were put up 20 years ago. Plan to replace that run of four old sections this year. The huge live oak took a massive continual pounding, many of the higher branches were beating other limbs and killing them before breaking off. The top sections are all brown from the high winds and may come back but I don't know. Squirrels are not back yet, nor are the birds.
    An old shed got blown apart and that will need to be removed/replaced. Going to wait till tomorrow to break the shed sections down and stack for pickup by a contractor hired by our city to remove storm debris. Neighbors new shed put up 3 months ago looks in good condition. The newer fence I built fared much better. Stringers were hung with Simpson strong tie screws and connections for 2x4 boards and didn't have a problem with Harvey or Irma. 12' gate must have been moving back and forth during the 100mph + winds from the feeder bans that came thru from the east. Gate lock and wood held between two gates seemed to work well.
    Note: the PVC tubes for the gate locks were ground level before the storm.
    Close up:
    Spent last evening removing the blown over plant limbs from the chain link fence between my north side neighbor's house and ours. 

It got beat up pretty bad by the winds. Normally it has large leaves and large yellow flowers and lots of ants living in the hollow core of the dead branches. 
    You can see the branches from one limb in the corner, leaning over our chain link fence in the back of the property along the road and wood fence. Many of the limbs were tangled up in the top of the shadow box wooden fence. 

This particular plant has so many branches at the bottom that the utility boxes for telephone and cable tv were almost totally hidden.

I was removing overhanging limbs and cutting them into small pieces for our green garbage pickup before it got dark. I started at one end of the chain link fence and worked toward the wooden fence where the most work was going to happen. Neighbors boyfriend came out of the house just as I was finishing up and demanded to know what I was doing. Told him removing the limbs from my chain link and wooden fence as well as the telephone box so the utility folks could get or phone line back up. Guess he thought the dead limbs would regenerate and recreate the privacy shield for the above ground pool.
    To make things even more enjoyable in the humid hot weather, the city has a mandatory water restriction for the next day so they can look breaks and pressurize the system. They want us to limit water use to for cooking and minimal toilet flushing till 8:00 pm today. But we are all safe and things will slowly get back to normal. Should be my last update and thanks for looking.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Total devastation on some of the islands......especially Barbuda.  Terrible.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/09/14/barbuda-hurricane-irama-devastation/665950001/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Adding the hazzard flag was a nice touch...even for a methhead. #safetyfirst
    Don't give them credit. That's JEA's hazard flag that was likely already attached when they procured it. They do this when millions are without power. To be a fly on the wall when they were questioned. :unamused:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Adding the hazzard flag was a nice touch...even for a methhead. #safetyfirst
    Don't give them credit. That's JEA's hazard flag that was likely already attached when they procured it. They do this when millions are without power. To be a fly on the wall when they were questioned. :unamused:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Realized that I didn't have any soup back-ups in the freezer for quick reheating during Irma. So, made French onion soup, pinto beans for chili, and chicken soup. The kids came over on Saturday, so the French onion soup and chicken soup went home with them. Will be doing a redo, so pics to come. Did them inside due to the rain.

Been too hot to make soup, but won't let this happen again. Been in the 50's almost every morning since the storm. Moved the Camp Chef Expedition into the garage next to the door to have available burners to reheat. All is well here, just need to vacuum the lawn. No trees down, thank goodness.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Things are getting back to 'normal' here. Had son and girlfriend here for dinner.
    Bought groceries at Kroeger in Warner Robins before coming home and found a really nice pork loin, much larger than the normal to two small loins packaged as one at Publix here.
    Mustard and Dizzy Pig.
    Raised direct at 350 degrees.

Sliced really nice.

Jasmine rice, beets and pork. SWMBO and guests said it was sweet and tender with nice smoke. Glad to get the first post Irma cook done and enjoyed by all.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Realized that I didn't have any soup back-ups in the freezer for quick reheating during Irma. So, made French onion soup, pinto beans for chili, and chicken soup. The kids came over on Saturday, so the French onion soup and chicken soup went home with them. Will be doing a redo, so pics to come. Did them inside due to the rain.

Been too hot to make soup, but won't let this happen again. Been in the 50's almost every morning since the storm. Moved the Camp Chef Expedition into the garage next to the door to have available burners to reheat. All is well here, just need to vacuum the lawn. No trees down, thank goodness.
    Hope all is well.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Glad to hear that some of the usual FL suspects here have made it back safely. Not surprisingly, folks are back to cooking , and taking some comfort in it. That's a good sign.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Hope all is well.

Thanks @YukonRon. Everything here is fine. There were many tense moments due to downpours of rain and high winds. We had constant winds in the 30 to 40 mph range and gusts in the mid 50 mph range. We already had 5 large trees scheduled for removal next Saturday that are just too close to the house. We were having to continuously trim their limbs to keep them off of the roof and gutters. We were keeping our fingers crossed for a few days. Other areas here in the upstate were not as lucky. 

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    My SIL, a Dallas Fireman, just boarded a plane to fly down to Miami. My daughter and him have good friends who live and have a restaurant in the lower Keys. Their home was only 1-2 years old and fared well, just a bit of storm surge enter the home. Their restaurant was destroyed! He is down there to help them demo the interior and get the cook stations back up so they can serve food for friends, locals and relief workers.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HEB strikes again. Trucks headed to Florida to assist with Irma relief. 

http://kxan.com/2017/09/15/h-e-b-returns-favor-and-sends-supplies-to-those-impacted-by-irma/
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

http://kxan.com/2017/09/15/h-e-b-returns-favor-and-sends-supplies-to-those-impacted-by-irma/
    I'm not kidding, I got chills when i read the brief article and watched the video.

In these times when we see and hear so much about corporations screwing consumers over, its heartening to see some companies standing up and showing some character.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    And as relief efforts are focused on folks affected by these events, and for all the folks who have given their time, money, and sweat ( or are thinking about it), I just want to leave this here. I've always kept it in mind, especially now.

I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
    I awoke and saw that life was service.
     I acted and behold, service was joy.

-Rabindranath Tagore
     Nobel laureate poet, artist, educator, philosopher, and a whole lot more.

And a fellow Bengali! :)
    Love it. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

caliking said:

I'm not kidding, I got chills when i read the brief article and watched the video.

In these times when we see and hear so much about corporations screwing consumers over, its heartening to see some companies standing up and showing some character.  
    For them to be able to respond better than any relief org as a private company, all while reopening their own damaged stores, being one of the only places with gas in many areas, rolling in mobile kitchens/pharmacies and then turn around and go help Florida the next week is astonishing
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

caliking said:

For them to be able to respond better than any relief org as a private company, all while reopening their own damaged stores, being one of the only places with gas in many areas, rolling in mobile kitchens/pharmacies and then turn around and go help Florida the next week is astonishing
    Amazing work!  Capitalism at it's best.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

A lot of people in Jacksonville still without power. Seems like mostly poor neighborhoods who can't afford to have companies come out and remove the big trees in order to get the lines back up. 

Also a bunch of lower income houses flooded with 4+ feet of water in them just now getting water out. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Irma is long gone and yet we are reminded of her daily. Bridge up the road is shut down indefinitely due to structural damage. We still lots of cleanup. Multiple trees still must be removed. Very thankful Maria didn't track here!  Sad that Maria completely annihilated Puerto Rico. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

A lot of people in Jacksonville still without power. Seems like mostly poor neighborhoods who can't afford to have companies come out and remove the big trees in order to get the lines back up. 

Also a bunch of lower income houses flooded with 4+ feet of water in them just now getting water out. 
    Stack that hardwood on the left side of my house will ya! 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @northGAcock Robin believe me. If Inwould have had an ounce of energy left or and we weren't rolling back to TN on a non profits gas card believe me, we considered it. 

But we got some terrible gas mileage coming down and we're trying to make it up on the way back. Water and gas weigh a ton! My Expedition was getting 10mpg at one point. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @northGAcock Robin believe me. If Inwould have had an ounce of energy left or and we weren't rolling back to TN on a non profits gas card believe me, we considered it. 

But we got some terrible gas mileage coming down and we're trying to make it up on the way back. Water and gas weigh a ton! My Expedition was getting 10mpg at one point. 
    Ouch......you guys be safe. We got wood around here too.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    caliking said:
    And as relief efforts are focused on folks affected by these events, and for all the folks who have given their time, money, and sweat ( or are thinking about it), I just want to leave this here. I've always kept it in mind, especially now.

I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
    I awoke and saw that life was service.
     I acted and behold, service was joy.

-Rabindranath Tagore
     Nobel laureate poet, artist, educator, philosopher, and a whole lot more.

And a fellow Bengali! :)

LBGE

Pikesville, MD