Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Giving a forum shout-out to @SGH.  Always available (when not messing about in the Gulf) I reached out to him for some stick burner insights.  Not only did he provide an unbiased perspective, but observations that can only be acquired by actually "being there".  His willingness to help anyone who seeks it merits forum acknowledgement.  It was an enjoyable and educational conversation.  FWIW- 

Glad you caught him before he was naked and drunk. 
    He probably was naked and drunk! ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @lousubcap
    Brother Cap, the pleasure was mine sir. Feel free to call me anytime about anything. I will always gladly offer what I can. And for the record, if Ron could of heard us talking about his money he would be pissed as hell ;)
    All kidding aside, it was a pleasure my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brother Brent, have you been spying on me again ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Brother Brent, have you been spying on me again ;)
    No Scottie, just betting the odds brother =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Eating cucumbers as the egg stabilizes. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited August 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    YEMTrey said:
    What exactly are those rodents?
    Javelin,  they are a type of peccaries
    This is a javelin:

The critters are JavelinA. 

Also called skunk pig. Why? Do they really smell bad or have a stripe on their back or something?
    Lol, good catch :)

They have scent glands that will spoil all the meat if you hit them while skinning.  Scent glands are more like a ferrets than a slunk though.

Also, I find their meat very "gamey".
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Doing ("it's my rub") brisket chili tonight. 
    I should have stayed over.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• bgebrent
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Surely missed the invite, damn!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Engine threw a rod on my 42" mower, so picked up a $40 used 20" POS off a FB garage sale.  Muuuuuch different mowing experience - yard is on a fairly steep hill.  I'm gassed.  Finished powerwashing/stripping my deck, stain/seal next weekend...probably another 4 hours mowing again.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Legume said:
    Engine threw a rod on my 42" mower, so picked up a $40 used 20" POS off a FB garage sale.  Muuuuuch different mowing experience - yard is on a fairly steep hill.  I'm gassed.  Finished powerwashing/stripping my deck, stain/seal next weekend...probably another 4 hours mowing again.
    You my friend need a drink.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @northGAcock and @bgebrent y'all are welcome anytime. As for that wussy @Dyal_SC though...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @northGAcock and @bgebrent y'all are welcome anytime. As for that wussy @Dyal_SC though...
    HE'S TOO TIRED!!
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    HE'S TOO TIRED!!
    With lame excuses!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Shopping on-line for local stick-burner suppliers as the hook has been set.  And I have spoken with the owners of a few Q restaurants about their wood dealers but I'm not even a pimple on their volume.   Do have a few random options for pecan and hickory that will likely serve me quite well but going down a new dirt road is fun. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @lousubcap so what brand/ model are you thinking?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Jeremiah -  Thanks for asking as I may be in a different place in life than most here. First up - I am not looking to replace any BGE (or the PBC) that I own.  Rather, there is no doubt that I will acquire another smoking/cooking option that I have not previously experienced while still having the ability to enjoy the experience.   Thus the desire to learn about stick burners.  And the leader going into the last furlong is a Lang 36 reverse flow.  
    BTW- I have accumulated more than 60 laps of the sun-no further delays. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    I had settled on the Lang 48 prior to deciding to build my own. From the little research I did, I believe you'll be happy. By the way, how do you like the PBC? I really like the idea of hanging chickens, and the portability too.
  • northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Surely missed the invite, damn!
    Brent, I just looked at this on a larger screen. Thinking of driveing over tomorrow, before it is all gone. Wow.....that pops.

• Jeremiah
    Options
    @northGAcock tonights chili hands down best my feeble attempt last night. There's plenty of leftovers going in the freezer. I'll keep some for next time. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Jeremiah - Based on all I have read here, I applaud your talents and have no doubt that you will nail it.  For me, my take is that once you start down the Q road I honestly think that if you have a true passion you eventually will land with a stick burner, if for nothing else than to "have been there, done that".  

Regarding the PBC- it's quite a unique rig-just today did two ST Louis trimmed spares and rack of beef back ribs- talk about fire and forget...all were great (5 hours for the tooth-pick test) and the thing is ready to go in around 30 minutes.  It does a number on hanging chix, as well.  I landed on the PBC after exchanging e-mails last year with a few forum member owners.  Again a new Q rig- and a different cooking profile than the BGE.  I aim to fire it up around once a month, not nearly the versatility of the BGE but a fun cook.
    Hope this helps. 
    BTW- if weighing all the options I would pass on the PBC and go straight to your stick-burner.  And aren't you a new travel trailer owner.  Congrats on that life-style.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Tried some of @Mickey chicken quarters.  Not really good at all.  Maybe it is because I did not fully commit and pulled them off when I remembered I had them on.  I should have just finished my nap ...

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    By the way, how do you like the PBC? I really like the idea of hanging chickens, and the portability too.
    Brother Miah, just some food for thought here. You can build a PBC for about 30 bucks and 10 minutes of your time. Simply find a used 30 gallon drum and drill a 1 1/2 hole two inches from the bottom and four 3/4 holes at the top for your rebar. If you look around, it's not uncommon to find used 30 gallon drums for free. As you alluded to above, the ability to hang chickens is more than worth 30 bucks to me.  

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tried some of @Mickey chicken quarters.  Not really good at all.  Maybe it is because I did not fully commit and pulled them off when I remembered I had them on.  I should have just finished my nap ...

Count me n buddy
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Regretting eating 18 of these right of the grill when there was a Tbone and a baked potato I needed to polish off

It was the 10 year anniversary of this hunt groups Antelope trip (my second) year
  • SGH
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Regretting eating 18 of these right of the grill 
    I hear ya brother. I would be enraged with myself if I ate less than 2 or 3 dozen =)

Status- Standing by.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Oh, something new, caveman chicken thighs?