Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Finally broke down and got the KAB for the mini max. Hopefully this fixes how slow this thing comes to temp.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Lit it didn't for me. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Lit it didn't for me. 
    That sucks. This is my last try before I put it on CL and go back to a JR.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    @lit I seem to get hotter quicker using alcohol on a paper towel was up, thru the vent and light underneath. 
  • Lit
    Options
    @lit I seem to get hotter quicker using alcohol on a paper towel was up, thru the vent and light underneath. 
    Thanks will give that a shot as well.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Working on inventory management at work....
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fixing to check out the latest arrival from RTIC. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnnyp
    Options
    For those unfamiliar with the geography of southeast VA, my package got sent 300ish miles away to be re-routed 10 miles from the origin. What the world.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Wonder why the postal service is always in the red? 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • johnnyp
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wonder why the postal service is always in the red? 

This was FedEx
  • SGH
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sucked in a couple gallons of WI river water on a 1200HP Wild Thing jet boat Upper Dells Tour.  Great time!

If flying down the river jammin to AC/DCs Thunderstruck, to a power stop getting a wave to your chest over the bow, doesn't bring a smile to your face....nothing will.

Can't wait to get the boys in some canoes through here in a few years.  Beautiful sandstone formations.  Kind of cool with the Black Hawk ties too.

That is a great pic brother. One to keep for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Focker said:
    Sucked in a couple gallons of WI river water on a 1200HP Wild Thing jet boat Upper Dells Tour.  Great time!

If flying down the river jammin to AC/DCs Thunderstruck, to a power stop getting a wave to your chest over the bow, doesn't bring a smile to your face....nothing will.

Can't wait to get the boys in some canoes through here in a few years.  Beautiful sandstone formations.  Kind of cool with the Black Hawk ties too.

That is a great pic brother. One to keep for sure. 
    Thanks bud.  We had a blast in the boat today.
    First ones to the dock, get the wave sweet spot. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Wishing I had another one of these guys for dinner tonight. We caught three of these boys last week in Playa Del Carmen. The hotel cooked them up for us.  We had enough to feed all 13 of us plus still had some left over not cooked, that we gave to the hotel staff.  Nothing beats eating fish that was in the water 4 hours earlier. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Lit
    Options
    Testing out the MM grill grates with some chicken wings. Not bad for the first try.
  • SGH
    Options
    Focker said:
    We had a blast in the boat today.
    Must be something in the air today. I got up at 3:30 this morning and hit the water with a couple of friends of mine. We tore the sand trout and Popeye mullet up. Had about 125 fish at the end of the day.   We fished around Deer Island just about all day. 

Status- Standing by.

• johnnyp
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Quick question I don't want to devote an entire post to.

Any time I've SV'd beef, visually it appears rarer (redder) than I know the temp to be.  Med-Rare looks more rare, med looks more med-rare, etc.

I have some picky eaters coming over for a fathers day cook out who only like their steak well done.  I want to SV them to preserve any tenderness I can, but does anyone know if it will look well-done?  

I doubt they care about the IT of the steak, rather they don't want it "bloody" (even if they're wrong)   
    For all of those dying with anticipation for what an overlooked, ruined steak looks like.  Here it is.  Gray. 

Picked up a cheap ribeye from the local grocery chain.  SV helped with the tenderness, but it's killing me to have to ruin steak like this for relatives.  oh well, if it's what they want...

• Lit
    Options
    First batch the camera had a crappy color tithe picture. These came out better. The grill grates work well with wings.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    SGH said:
    Focker said:
    We had a blast in the boat today.
    Must be something in the air today. I got up at 3:30 this morning and hit the water with a couple of friends of mine. We tore the sand trout and Popeye mullet up. Had about 125 fish at the end of the day.   We fished around Deer Island just about all day. 
    Strong work man.  Would enjoy making an a$$ out of ourselves at a fish fry.  I think I could take ya. Hahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Lit said:
    Jeremiah said:
    @Lit it didn't for me. 
    Whats you guys hurry? Sit back and relax a bit. Have yourself a cold one or two. Rush rush rush.....I too recognize the slow start. That said, if you are in a hurry, you should have started sooner. (Just bustin on you guys).
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Jeremiah said:
    @Lit it didn't for me. 
    Whats you guys hurry? Sit back and relax a bit. Have yourself a cold one or two. Rush rush rush.....I too recognize the slow start. That said, if you are in a hurry, you should have started sooner. (Just bustin on you guys).
    The KAB seemed to help a little. My problem is I am usually trying to cook dinner for our daughter and I have to have it ready at 5:30 and even when I leave work at 4 its not enough time. I got it going good a couple days ago where there was a flame coming from the lump then set it up indirect for a pizza and a half hour later I was only at 300. You can tell there is a bad airflow issue on these because when I crack the lid even a little the smoke starts flowing through the top like it should with the vents wide open but as soon as I close the dome the airflow almost stops. I may start using my chimney to start the lump and just pour a lit chimney in and if that doesn't work nothing will.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @Lit I know all about those time constraints.  I say it here often I don't execute because the little girl get hangry (hungry and angry).  This is the reason I don't Egg during the week.  Just too much trouble.  

How are you lighting the MM?  I light the Jr with the weed torch.  If with weed torch, maybe hold in longer and gas it more? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Options
    @Lit I know all about those time constraints.  I say it here often I don't execute because the little girl get hangry (hungry and angry).  This is the reason I don't Egg during the week.  Just too much trouble.  

How are you lighting the MM?  I light the Jr with the weed torch.  If with weed torch, maybe hold in longer and gas it more? 
    I use a heat gun. Yesterday I cleaned it out all the way then used all new lump with the KAB and lit it in 4 places with the heat gun so pretty much all the lump was burning and it did work better but the MM just doesn't react like the other eggs. I am used to lighting the egg good in the middle and coming back 10 minutes later and its hot. Doing the same thing with the MM and I come back 10 minutes later and its at 200. It seems like what you said I just need to make sure the lump is going how I want it before I try to close the egg.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Lit said:

I use a heat gun. Yesterday I cleaned it out all the way then used all new lump with the KAB and lit it in 4 places with the heat gun so pretty much all the lump was burning and it did work better but the MM just doesn't react like the other eggs. I am used to lighting the egg good in the middle and coming back 10 minutes later and its hot. Doing the same thing with the MM and I come back 10 minutes later and its at 200. It seems like what you said I just need to make sure the lump is going how I want it before I try to close the egg.
    Just my backwoods, hillbilly logic here, the weed torch when gassing it hard helps heating the ceramics too, which I feel helps things come along better.  So yeah, possibly hold your source to the coals longer, get the ceramics warmed, so the coals aren't playing too much catch up.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    johnnyp said:
    Quick question I don't want to devote an entire post to.

Any time I've SV'd beef, visually it appears rarer (redder) than I know the temp to be.  Med-Rare looks more rare, med looks more med-rare, etc.

I have some picky eaters coming over for a fathers day cook out who only like their steak well done.  I want to SV them to preserve any tenderness I can, but does anyone know if it will look well-done?  

I doubt they care about the IT of the steak, rather they don't want it "bloody" (even if they're wrong)   
    For all of those dying with anticipation for what an overlooked, ruined steak looks like.  Here it is.  Gray. 

Picked up a cheap ribeye from the local grocery chain.  SV helped with the tenderness, but it's killing me to have to ruin steak like this for relatives.  oh well, if it's what they want...

Nice of you to cut it up for them too.  You gonna chew it also?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,181
    Options
    @Focker love those sandwich maker things!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnnyp
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac   Oh, I ate the trial run.  It was the worst steak I've cooked in years.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Not how I wanted to wind down Wednesday. My wife rushed me in. I'm now checked into ICU. Will update when I get better.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL