Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sitting on the front porch enjoying a cold one. 
    I figured u for a king of beers kinda guy. Cheers brother!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SGH said:
    I like that you have your paddle ready for hazing rituals.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SGH said:
    I like that you have your paddle ready for hazing rituals.
    Clearly that's for "stirring the pot" if you catch my drift. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH - You are One Bud Wiser than you were a minute ago.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Quick question I don't want to devote an entire post to.

Any time I've SV'd beef, visually it appears rarer (redder) than I know the temp to be.  Med-Rare looks more rare, med looks more med-rare, etc.

I have some picky eaters coming over for a fathers day cook out who only like their steak well done.  I want to SV them to preserve any tenderness I can, but does anyone know if it will look well-done?  

I doubt they care about the IT of the steak, rather they don't want it "bloody" (even if they're wrong)   
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    SGH said:
    I see the oar, so it's true about the size of Mississippi mosquitoes?

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Botch said:
    I see the oar, so it's true about the size of Mississippi mosquitoes?
    Brother they are like buzzards down here. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    @SGH-  I have always thought you contributed way above and beyond to this forum across all subjects.  Now, you have moved to a higher plane with the pic of Budweiser.  When I am in the volume consumption mode (probably 90%+ of the time with BGE cooks) that is the liquid of choice.  An around the clock (okay only 12 + hours) cook is always facilitated by Bud.  
    House rules; light the BGE =  time for and adult beverage (time of day independent); food on, -time for an adult beverage, then as merited by the degree of supervisory SWMBO eggscape time desired.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    edited June 2016
    Options

Does CGS sell the new and improved Smokeware cap? 
    Not sure about CGS, but I actually tried to order directly from Smokeware on Saturday (pushed by an unforecasted heavy downpour) and they were out of stock until July on the new ones.  By pre-ordering I got an $8 or so discount (to help negate the $11 or so shipping cost).  Total cost around $42.  

EDIT:  Oh yeah, beware of looking for these things on Amazon, found one for $80 and another for over $200 (shipped from China!)   :o

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap
    First thank you for the very kind words my friend. As to the Bud, it has been my favorite since I was a teen. On that note, I prefer it in the glass bottle. Out of a can all beer tastes about the same to me. I never buy cans. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,990
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH-  I have always thought you contributed way above and beyond to this forum across all subjects.  Now, you have moved to a higher plane with the pic of Budweiser.  When I am in the volume consumption mode (probably 90%+ of the time with BGE cooks) that is the liquid of choice.  An around the clock (okay only 12 + hours) cook is always facilitated by Bud.  
    House rules; light the BGE =  time for and adult beverage (time of day independent); food on, -time for an adult beverage, then as merited by the degree of supervisory SWMBO eggscape time desired.  
    Are returnables still available?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    No clue- but I recycle as much as I can.  There is a reasonable debate about whether the recycling of some products are net positive or negative.  Until I'm told "don't" then I will.  
    Now, if I could recycle beer urine into beer I would be home-free ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No clue- but I recycle as much as I can.  There is a reasonable debate about whether the recycling of some products are net positive or negative.  Until I'm told "don't" then I will.  
    You don't buy beer, you only rent it for a bit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,990
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For some reason, when I used to drink beer more than I do now, the beer bottled in returnables always seemed to taste better than disposables. Did not know if that was case.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    Getting ready to see my latest RTIC products. 

Status- Standing by.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Waiting on the AC repairman to show up. :bawling:
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac -  I feel your pain.  Friday June 3rd around 6:30 PM came home to the A/C OIA (On It's A$$).  Several hundred $$ and time we were back up and running, house temp topped out at 91*F.  Fast forward one week-Friday June 10th evening resulted in the same situation-same tech came out-the motor that caused the previous failed capacitor issue had now failed.  (Duh- what caused the capacitor to go in the first place).  Found a motor-no chance to install til Monday.  High level tech shows up with motor and we are back in business...more $$.  House topped out at 94*F (first days in the 90's this year) Fri-Sun PM.  And I thought the cow was a challenge ;)
    Edit: thanks for the opportunity to vent.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Love this time of year.  I enjoy walking round the yard barefoot watering the flowers and vegetable/herb garden.  Stereo on, beer in hand.  The wife and I did a lot of yard work so far this year and it's getting contagious.  I've got several more ideas and more to do!  Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey
    Options
    The second half of this Mexico/Venezuela match has been wonderfully entertaining.
    Steve 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    just put a couple of pheasant in a brine, plan to smoke 'em wednesday night
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Did you bag 'em or buy 'em?  I've never done pheasant.  Tell me more brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @lousubcap we just got up and running.  Bad cap also.  Looks like a terminal went bad.  The tech tested the motor and it was in spec, so crossing my fingers.

Seems like its one issue to the next.  Just had to fix the garage door last week.

Btw, like the pun "vent".
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blind99
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    Did you bag 'em or buy 'em?  I've never done pheasant.  Tell me more brother.

@bgebrent hey there brother! a buddy of mine from work goes every year and brought me these.  I looked through a bunch of old posts and couldn't find any finished products, but a LOT of advice that said they're dry - brine them.  I weighed out an equilibrium brine since I'm planning to smoke these Wednesday. (Supposedly equilibrium brine is like the sous vide of brining - can't over do it.  I've never tried it so I'll let you know how it works out!)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I agree completely with brining those.  Your approach makes sense and smoking sounds good.  If they're not over cooked, they won't be dry.  Look forward to your post for sure!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    Options
    @bgebrent i'll let you know, good or bad.  whiskey and bourbon will be involved but i'll try to be impartial.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'm rewatching old Ali fights. I haven't seen him fight in years... He is a straight up stud. Thrilla in Manila is the best fight of all time. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YEMTrey
    Options
    Didn't win Masters tickets for weekend rounds again this year. Hopefully practice round tickets are in my future.
    Steve 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Eating my brownies from Saturday night. @northGAcock
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No no man....not at work.....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,224
    Options
    Wondering how much Rockwood was on this truck.