Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza-porta??

Options
Saw this scanning Facebook. (Yes I still go there) http://www.pizza-porta.com

I admit, I'm curious.
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very interesting! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ahh.. Not expecting that.  

I really like the looks of a Blackstone pizza unit.  Egg'ed pizza on the Egg just isn't my thang.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @tarheelmatt I haven't had blackstone pizza yet, so can't comment. One thing I like about egged pizza is I can throw a piece of apple wood in there and still get a little smokey flavor. On the other hand I've been looking seriously at building my own real pizza oven. There's plenty of ideas and plans on the Internet. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not even gonna look. Your trying to spend my money.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    there is another version of this out there somewhere. I think it was ceramic or stone but I haven't seen it in a few years. I really don't get it- I think pizzas are pretty damn good without all the PITA of taking your dome off every time you want to make them. I'll take BGE pizza over just about any other and i don't need a special contraption to make them great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

That thing looks ridiculous but if the claims made in the ‘facts’ section are accurate I believe it will help the egg yield a better pie.  One of the big reasons Blackstone pizza is so much better than egg pizza is consistency of temp, it’s designed like a wfo in that there’s no door or dome to open so the temp, whatever it is, is stable.  Lifting a dome to slide your pie on does result in a massive heat loss & the result is your pie is in the cooker longer (not to mention hot spots that may cause you to open the dome again & again to rotate the pie).  The problem is the stone your pie is sitting on doesn’t lose its heat when the dome is open so that increased time does have a negative impact on the final texture.

For years I baked pies on the egg at, say, 550.  Those pies took an average of 9-10 minutes.  I thought that was normal.

I now cook pies on the Blackstone & although the thermometer often reads in that same range the pies take an average of 3 minutes to get to the same level of doneness. 

Both pies appear the same however there’s a huge difference in quality & texture.  The pies off of the egg are dryer & stiffer while the pies off of the Blackstone are lighter, crispier & just better to bite through, there’s simply no comparison between the average pie off of the egg & the average pie off the Blackstone. All those years I loved the pies off of the egg & really never considered that they could be better, until now.  Today, you couldn't pay me to fire up the egg for a thin crust pizza.  I still use it however for lower temp cast iron pies as it still bakes them beautifully, 400 degrees for 25 minutes - perfect every time though I owe that to the cast iron, they come out just as good in the old kitchen oven.

If the Pizza-porta delivers on solving this design shortcoming of the egg it’s a win.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Saw this scanning Facebook. (Yes I still go there) http://www.pizza-porta.com

I admit, I'm curious.
    I saw some prototypes back in November at the Pensacola Eggfest. Their crew cranked out 50+ pizzas in about 4 hours, all on the original load of lump.

The same crew was at last weekend's Sunshine State Eggfest. They had their very first manufactured model. They are still tweaking it, but it looks like this will be available in the near future. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @tarheelmatt I haven't had blackstone pizza yet, so can't comment. One thing I like about egged pizza is I can throw a piece of apple wood in there and still get a little smokey flavor. On the other hand I've been looking seriously at building my own real pizza oven. There's plenty of ideas and plans on the Internet. 
    The porta is interesting. If you build.....would love to help you. I promise I will only do as I am told....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nice response @Zippylip

I personaly do NOT want smoke flavor in my pizza . . but cool to see new BGE products.  Might be tough sell, because people who invest in this will surely check out the Blackstone too, and DANG the blackstone pizza oven is sooo easy and works sooo well!  Switch propane on, two stones get to temp while rotating, and cook ZA around 800f in less than 10 minutes of turning thing on.  That is very hard to beat . . but keeping an eye on this product. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    This looks pretty interesting, reminds me of a post from a few years ago where someone had built a similar rig out of clay and/or brick, but without the extended lip in front.  I'd like to better understand how it attaches to the egg (does it just slide in or require band adjustment?) and get a sense of the price point.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    What is the price?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    NDG said:
    I personaly do NOT want smoke flavor in my pizza . .

I’m with you, I’ll repeat a comment I made on another thread about just that.  My concern going into getting a Blackstone was with what I thought I’d be ‘losing’ without the benefit of wood fire.  Turned out unfounded as I noticed no difference in flavor which I attributed to two things, one I used a dedicated baking egg that never had any kind of fat drippings so I didn’t get an of that residual smoke on my pies & two, pizza burns are long preheats on the egg so by the time your pie goes on you’ve got hot clean burning lump which doesn’t really impart any flavor I’ve ever been able to detect.  I remember thinking I could always add a smoke box with some chips up under the Blackstone to get smoke rolling up through the oven & across the pie to impart that ‘missing’ element but once I tasted the first pie as is that idea was quashed.

To the extent people do want smoke flavor that would be another plus for the Pizza-porta.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    What is the price?
    When I spoke to Courtland, the creator, he said he is still not 100% sure. He mentioned that a final manufacturing total will need to be made, but he is estimating in the $250-$300 range. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    my pizza peel is bigger than that opening... maybe the XL version will have bigger porta{l}
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    my pizza peel is bigger than that opening... maybe the XL version will have bigger porta{l}
    I think "porta" is Italian for door.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    I think Blackstone pizza ovens are under 350, hopefully he can bring the price in well below 300 or he may have an uphill battle to sell more than a few.  Clever idea though.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Legume said:
    I think Blackstone pizza ovens are under 350, hopefully he can bring the price in well below 300 or he may have an uphill battle to sell more than a few.  Clever idea though.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2016
    Options
    They have the price posted now:

http://www.pizza-porta.com/product/pizza-porta/

I had a feeling it would be about this much.  As stated earlier it would be hard to justify when you can get a BS for about the same price. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I bought my Blackstone for $169 when HD was blowing them out.

I made lots of pizzas on the egg. I tried with smoke (didn't like it ) thick crust thin crust. Were they good? Yes they were. I just prefer the ease of the Blackstone. Personally I like the pizzas better off the Blackstone.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    damn this place...Blackstone. Crap.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    What is the price?
    When I spoke to Courtland, the creator, he said he is still not 100% sure. He mentioned that a final manufacturing total will need to be made, but he is estimating in the $250-$300 range. 
    They are listed at $300 on the website.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    So has anyone got one these yet and tried it out.  That's a lot of money to cook pizza when I like what I can make now on my XL.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    If you cook a lot of pizza then this is pretty slick. I don’t own one but I’ve used one a few times. The creators are great folks, normal guys who love to egg. I’m buying one for my annual Masters party. I’ll know more then. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,593
    Options
    I almost pulled the trigger on one last summer but resisted. There's nothing to remove or install, it wedges between the dome and base like a Jotisserie. It works on the principle of keeping the dome shut with ceramic cap on at all time to minimise heat loss. On the front bottom there are two bolts that protrude behind the front rim of the egg base, to prevent the unit from slipping out.  Each side has a daisy wheel for air flow control.  Not sure if the design generates rolling flame over the pie.
    canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Just another thing to buy for me. The list grows.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I think we need a trip to see @SciAggie s setup. The gold standard.....then build you one.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I saw one in action at the Pensacola eggfest.  It's pretty cool and it works well.  I can do pretty good pies on my large (with AR and extender) but if I was going to be cranking out pies, I would consider one of these.
    NOLA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    question for the blackstone fans, what makes it better than a regular kitchen oven? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    question for the blackstone fans, what makes it better than a regular kitchen oven? 
    Temperature range.  Stone above and below, so that the pies cook uniformly and quickly.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,367
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Temperature range.  Stone above and below, so that the pies cook uniformly and quickly.  
    And it has a spinning platter so the pie cooks evenly and you don't have to manually give it an occasional turn.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk