Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of you use more than one grill?

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    I prefer my egg but sometimes when I get home it is easier to fire up my weber. Both grills are in my garage and it is easier to move and fire up after a day of work. Just curious who else might use more than one grill. 

I am cooking at 400 in 5 or 6 mins on any of my Eggs by really lighting the Egg. What is quicker?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    All Eggs here, no gasser anymore, even my stove seems to basically hold Eggcessories now
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have my  old chargriller duo still.  It's a rusted mess but I will use it for hotdogs or if I'm in a hurry.  I hope to get an outdoor kitchen with a nice gas grill to complement my large egg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I have 4 eggs...L, M. S  & Mini. The most fired up at a single time was 3 of them...L, M & S. I felt like Tim The Tool Man that night!!! BTW the medium was baking a chocolate cake just to WOW my non-believer friends that night! BTW they have since bought an XL and a L...show offs! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @SGH   So a PBC looks like it is pretty much the same as a UDS with a hanging rod - is this right?

Phoenix 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I have a gasser that has been out of commission since the eggs made it home. First I got the XL and then when doing cooks for the wife and I we decided to go with a minimax. The gasser has been covered since three years ago. Probably just about time to get rid of it.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
    @SGH   So a PBC looks like it is pretty much the same as a UDS with a hanging rod - is this right?

Pretty much. However most UDS cookers are built off of 55 gallon drums. The PBC is built off a 30 gallon drum. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RoughLandings
    RoughLandings Posts: 5
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I use a large BGE and an old no-name charcoal that I have had for years now. I have only had the Egg for a couple months and have been using it exclusively for grilling and smoking but have used the old grill a couple times as a warmer. 
    Large BGE
  • SGH
    Options
    I use a large BGE and an old no-name charcoal that I have had for years now. 
    Back in the 80's I had a Kingsford Oval (a Weber knockoff). However due to the oval design, I actually liked it better than the Weber kettle. Sometimes some of the no names really shine. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    The arsenal:  Weber kettle, Weber silver gas grill, medium BGE, and KJ Classic.  I rarely use the kettle any more, only for very large cooks.  For example, this weekend, I will be cooking ribs and chicken wings for 60 for a grandson's birthday party.  The kettle is great for wings.  You can cook both direct and indirect.   I use the gas grill for vegetables, overflow for large cooks, rotisserie chicken (especially Peruvian style), and crisping (say) wings cooked on the BGE.  It can also be used for finishing ribs after the smoking process. Since there are only two of us, I often use the medium BGE for small cooks (e.g., 1 rack of ribs, a spatchcocked chicken, pork roast, etc.).  The medium BGE is very fuel efficient and easy to control.   I use the KJ classic with divide and conquer system for reverse sears (steaks or pork chops or small batches of wings),  large quantities of pulled pork, and large cooks in combination with the other grills.  This coming weekend will be a good challenge.   Everything will be in operation.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • RoughLandings
    Options
    SGH said:
    Back in the 80's I had a Kingsford Oval (a Weber knockoff). However due to the oval design, I actually liked it better than the Weber kettle. Sometimes some of the no names really shine. 

Yeah, the old no-name works okay but I never really got into seriously learning grilling until the Egg came to me. The Egg was my late father-in-law's and I had many a fine meal from it. I have wanted one for a long time but my wife was not willing to spring for one on our meager budget. So, we jumped at the chance when her Mom offered it to us. 
    Large BGE
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    2 Large BGE, 1 MM , UDS 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have 4 grills:
    • LBGE
    • Weber Kettle
    • Weber Jumbo Joe
    • UDS (largely inspired by the PBC; 30-gallon drum, rebar for hanging meat, but adjustable airflow on the top and bottom)
    I love all 4 of those grills, and use them roughly equally. I don't have a favorite.

I just finished building the UDS a couple weeks ago and hauled it around the country in our minivan on vacation over the last couple weeks. I've just finished up my first few cooks with it on the beach in Alabama, and it rocked all of the cooks. (Chicken wings, pork picnic, pork tenderloin, and st. louis ribs.)

I have a 5-year plan to learn how to weld and build an offset smoker. After that, my collection is done.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I use both my Eggs from time to time.  I did use them both this past weekend for a cookout.  Worked well.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SGH how do you like the PBC?
    The PBC is a great rig. It's right in line with a Weber WSM. You can hang your meat or remove the rods and set it up just like a WSM. It's a very functional rig. It will grill, roast or smoke. For the money, it's hard to beat. I like the fact that it's small and lightweight  and will hold a decent amount of food due to the hanging method. It's very portable as well. For a person looking for a affordable unit to do it all, the PBC along with WSM are tough to beat. 
    I've got an 18" WSM that I use to hang my baby backs in PBC-style.

Thought about getting a PBC a while back but Weber makes a rack that is used for hanging (they include a few hooks that are meant for hanging fish) stuff. Got some stainless steel rod and made a few hooks so I could hang the ribs.

Works pretty well.

These days about the only time I use my WSM is for hanging ribs or cold smoking.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've got an 18" WSM that I use to hang my baby backs in PBC-style.

Thought about getting a PBC a while back but Weber makes a rack that is used for hanging (they include a few hooks that are meant for hanging fish) stuff. 
    I have seen several folks post the WSM hanging kit on the BBQ Brethern. It's pretty neat. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2015
    Options
    XL green Egg
    Small Green Egg
    22.5 Weber
    55gal UDS
    Blackstone Griddle
    and I have a trailer offset reverse flow on order.
    Looking at ordering a Santa Maria grill soon too.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    Looking at ordering a Santa Maria grill soon too.
    I have been toying with same idea on and off for a couple of years now. Just never have been able to narrow it down to which one. Have you decided on which one you want? 

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I pretty much use my XL, but have a Little Kahuna for quick cooks and a WSM if I am smoking a lot of meat.  I would love a GoodOne Marshal
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    I regularly use 3 different large size ceramic kamados, of course BGE is one.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    bboulier said:
     The kettle is great for wings.  
    That's about all I use my kettle for these days - when cooking few dozen wings.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I have a small attention span when it comes to cooking. If I had to use only my eggs I'd be bored to tears.   I currently rotate between 
    1 LBGE
    1 MM BGE
    1 Lang 60 deluxe
    2 Backwoods G2 Party's
    2 Weber 22" kettles
    1 Pit Barrel Cooker
    1 Holland gasser

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use two from time to time, my XL and my MM.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    LBGE & MM frequently used Weber kettle and gasser haven't used in over a year.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    well, large BGE and a small BGE if that counts
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    LBGE and SBGE.  My gasser is my storage compartment:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mickey said:
    ChuckR said:
    I prefer my egg but sometimes when I get home it is easier to fire up my weber. Both grills are in my garage and it is easier to move and fire up after a day of work. Just curious who else might use more than one grill. 

I am cooking at 400 in 5 or 6 mins on any of my Eggs by really lighting the Egg. What is quicker?

Same thing works with the Weber using briquettes you know, briquettes are ready to go just as fast (maybe faster) as lump when started with "rocket fuel". 
    If I have second burn lump, the egg is first choice, but if not, the Weber is quicker - no ceramic to heat. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @shucker how do you like the Lang? I'm torn between the 36 and 48. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I use three, a BGE XL, a BGE Lg, and a BGE M.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys